It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Cooling tips for EX470
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:03 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hey guys

i thought i start a new thread on this, as its very hard to find information in the processor upgrade thread. I know for ideal processor upgrade, you will need the power efficient processor that has the 35w description. these are very hard to find and do pop up on ebay now and then

i have the LE-1640 which is 45w thermal design that does heat up quite often and is not suitable for EX470 heatsink to manage. I have tried MSS fan add-in and that is a great help but still sometimes you get heat issues.

I love the processor and its speed, so wondering if people have tips and links to some useful heatsink or fan replacement that can help alot.

I know that the heatsink size is very small that can fix the EX470 chasis, so is there any heatsink out there that can handle more heat with same size or a USB/internal power based Fans that can be added to the system to control the heat.

So just attempting to get some input, i see alot of heatsinks and fans on amazon but dont know what will fit the need and need guidance

thanks

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:24 pm 

wakkas,

The heatsink in the EX470 is special so finding another like it will be a difficult task. You know I have an HP ProLiant that has a similar design Heatsink but made of copper but I never took the oppertunity to compair the two the last time I had it apart to upgrade the processors.

The motherboard in the EX470 has an extra FAN header near the front. I recall seeing someone actually mount a fan in the front lower grill and use that can header to power it. I have seen others install a small fan in the rear as well .

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to place a fan in front your EX470 and blow air into it and to make sure its in a well ventilated area and not close to any heating ducts of course if you have central AC then being near that same duct in the summer will be a good location for it but not so in winter.

The last thing is when you installed the processor did you use a good thermal compound like Artic Silver 5 or ask its also known as AS5?

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:47 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

yeah i used Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound. and i did try 3 times with different quantity and the third time was charm i guess where i used alot of compound and not just small grain size.

i remember the original processor had a lot of compund and now i am at stage where the processor run great with MSS fan-control but some times it heats up bad and i need to make it stable especially hot weather is coming and my home does not have airconditioner.

if some one reading post his/her experience with adding a specific fan to setup then that will be great with a link to the fan (if possible)

:mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:32 pm 

An old thread I know, but I'd like to improve cooling for my aging, but still running strong EX470 (upgraded to dual core processor and increased RAM).
I have 4 WD Caviar Black Sata 3 drives and they run hot, so I'm concerned about cooling and wanted to install either a front fan, or another rear fan, or even upgrade the stock fans to more powerful ones.
I don't mind a little more noise if it means that my drives won't cook!
The previous poster mentioned there is an available fan power head on the motherboard? Just one, or are there more?

Any ideas on what sizes of fans would be compatible with the EX470?

Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:04 pm 

If your not running the MSS FAN Control ADD-IN which is specifically written for the EX47x then I recommend you add it to help improve cooling of your server. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/add-ins/#MSSFanControl

The EX47x has 1 fan header in the front of the motherboard. This header has been used to install a fan in the front grill by some while others have used it to power a small 40mm fan to cool either the CPU or Northbridge.

In the past I have used a small 4" Table Top fan to blow air into the EX470 to provide additional cooling for the Motherboard/PSU Assembly.

Its also important to have plenty of space around the server so that it can breath properly. Some users have had their servers installed in cabinets which cause heat around the server to build up which is not good.

The other thing is the ambiant temperature around the server. I have one server which likes the ambiant air temp at or below 75 F. I know this because when the ambiant air temp was over 75 it would spin up all its fans making one hell of a noise. Of course this is not an HP MSS but an HP ProLiant. For the most part all my other servers do well with an Ambiant Air Temp of 78.

If you know how to fully dissassemble your EX470 meaning to remove the plastic pannels its always a good idea to remove the back pannel and fans to clean out the dirt which accumulates in the area directly between the fan and cage and on the other side between the cage and the back plastic pannel. You might be amazed at just what can acculate in those area which ends up reducing air flow.

I forget who it was but I recall one forum member actually removing the rear fan grill holes in the cage to allow better air flow. Now I have never had a need to do this but felt it might be worth mentioning.

Fans are abundantly available and inexpensive. I for the rear fans I would look for one with the 4 pin connector so your server will be able to control the fan speed and determine their RPM while will elliminate health alerts in your server. Then look for fans with a higher CFM Rating than the ones currently in your server but pay close attention to the ampere rating because often they will require addition power which will place additional load on your PSU and if your still running the stock HIPRO PSU then you are probably aware they do fail easily but forutunately you can get a better PSU to help you out from Overtek LTD.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
Globespy
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:39 pm 

Thanks!
I am using fan control add-in, but even at full speed (250RPM) they are not keeping things cool enough.....those new WD Sata 3 caviar black drives are toasty!
Yes, I'm pretty fine with dismantling the box.
I'm thinking of getting two new Noctua NF-R8 80x80x25mm (http://www.coolerguys.com/840556081036.html) fans to replace the stock 3" ones at the back. I've used these fans on PC builds over the years and they are quite amazing.
Much quieter (almost whisper silent), yet moves much more air (53m3/h). They are natively 3-pin but come with a 3-pin to 4-pin adapter, so that should keep the motherboard and OS happy?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:45 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I'd be very careful of those fans because they do not appear to be PWM fans. The 4 pin adapter shows as a molex adapter which is not suitable for the MSS. They might be adaptable but they do not appear to be workable out of the box.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:32 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Check out HerMaN's posts in this thread; viewtopic.php?f=25&t=9140&p=85666#p85666

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:46 am 

Hello Forum,

I've been using hp x510 for many years now and this forum helped me a lot. I've just registered to confirm that additional 3 pin fan connector in front of the motherboard actually works. I was not able to find any clear evidence of this in other posts so I hope this would help someone, if there are left any :) This port can be used to connect additional fan for CPU or for airflow in. I've installed 80mm xfan l/b, however I think 60mm would fit event better. Perhaps regular black design fan would look ugly, but this type of fan with transparent design and blue leds compensates overall visual shortcomings. Be aware that front door would not close due to 25mm fan width. In my case I've just removed it. Fan cannot be install inside (behind the grill) because motherboard plate is to close to the grill. Perhaps, only 40mm fan would fit inside, but it would provide very low airflow in. Some photos attached...

Attachments:
20170920_225025.jpg
20170920_225025.jpg [ 153.88 KiB | Viewed 24950 times ]
20170920_225017.jpg
20170920_225017.jpg [ 191.13 KiB | Viewed 24950 times ]
Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Redpool for this post
Gardian
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:16 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Thx for the info! Heating or worse yet, over heating can become a problem for many reasons.
E8600 and larger cpu upgrades.
Living in a warmer/hot part of the world.
Running hot drives.
Years of dust/dirt/smoke.
I have x-510's as well and upgraded them with the E5800 which is fast but runs cooler then the stock cpu.
Then I use 2tb RED WD drives that run pretty cool most of the time, the os drive will heat up when I do a lot of file moving.
Then to top it all off I live in Wyoming where it never gets above 100 very often and always cools off at night and cleaning the dust bunnies out at least twice a year has kept them cool.

As far as modding goes I have always thought of cutting a couple of holes in the top cover and mounting a couple of fans in their with Grilles over them to blow the heat up and out.
But since it stays pretty cool so far its not worth the time and effort.

Have you played with the stock fan settings in the bios? or used the bent third pin trick that makes them run full speed all the time? Some people have found by removing the fine mesh screen in the back helps a lot for cooling and still keeps fingers out.

What cpu/harddrives are you using?
Do you run your server 24/7? I sleep mine at night when no one would be using it.

Just a FYI, you did post in the EX-470 thread and they have an addin that makes changing the fan speed a piece of cake, I wish the 510's could use the addin. My first two ex-470's worked great with the addin, kept them nice and cool and I was running them 24/7 back then.

I think if I run into cooling issues I would go for the bios as I have the vga adapter and would just ramp them up faster but so far so good. I also keep all my servers and media center pc's on one of those chrome wire racks so they get plenty of air flow and are very easy to get to to pull out and clean.

Again, thx for the info, there are still lots of visits and post to this very awesome site and we can always use more.
These servers were the best thing HP and Microsoft ever did and not I guess will ever do. So any help to keep them running is of great value. :-)
Much luck to you and yours and enjoy.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:40 am 

Hello again,

This fan upgrade was preparation for CPU upgrade which I did this weekend. I had one core2duo E7400 left from old computer and decided not to invest into quad core at this point. Also I wanted to go safe route first and see what would be the impact on temperature and performance. So far, I can tell that this upgrade worth it. I can feel the difference on FreeNAS when copying ~1TB mixed backup data from one uncompressed dataset to another gzip compressed dataset and during video transcoding also. Temperature increased a bit, but it is within acceptable limits. 38-42c idle, 52-65c at 60-80% load. Core0 is about 3-5 degrees hotter than Core1. They say that it is normal behavior for multi core cpu (I was using noname grey thermal paste).
Gardian wrote:
Have you played with the stock fan settings in the bios?
Do you run your server 24/7? I sleep mine at night when no one would be using it.
Unfortunately, I don't have custom VGA cable to play with BIOS. In fact I'm afraid to burn the motherboard. But I would need it someday to be able to set USB stick as default boot device. For the moment it tries to boot from drive in bay1. So every time after restart I remove the drive in bay1 and let it to boot from USB stick and then insert the drive back :) My system runs 24/7 so I do it very seldom during upgrades/updates that require restart.
Gardian wrote:
What cpu/harddrives are you using?
Hard drives are mixed:
1x1TB veeeery old WD green left from WD MyBook NAS which runs very hot. I hope it would fail soon :)
3x1TB just old WD greens
1x1TB quite old seagate that comes on x510 with very few bad sectors on it since day one. It doesn't look like that he would give up soon :)
3x1TB relatively new seagates.

4 as RaidZ1 in x510 and 4 as RaidZ1 in external enclosure (IcyDock). Perhaps you heard that RAID was acronym for "redundant array of inexpensive disks" and later changed to "independent". I think it makes sense in RaidZ configuration to use disks with unequal wear/MTBF and let them fail with some time interval rather than few at a time.
Gardian wrote:
Just a FYI, you did post in the EX-470 thread and they have an addin that makes changing the fan speed a piece of cake
The connector is 3 pin, as I understand it - one for power, one for ground and one for pulse. It looks like this port was originally placed there for CPU fan (perhaps for future releases) and in that case motherboard should control the speed of the fan connected to that port depending on CPU temp, but I did not test that yet.

Few recommendation for storage expansion on x510:
This x510 works fine with external JBOD enclosures connected on esata with port multiplier at speeds of 3Gbps. Unfortunately, all new enclosures on the market come with USB3.0 or thunderbolt and without esata. Connecting them to x510 USB2.0 485Mbps port does not make sense when you faster 3Gbps esata. Another adavantage of esata over USB interface is that FreeNAS can get SMART reports from external disks. So for x510 storage expansion - old JBOD ecnlosure with esata with port multiplier is better than new enclosure with USB3.0.

Plans for the future:
CPU/RAM torture test
VGA cable
RAM upgrade
Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste
CPU/RAM torture test

Thanks