It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:39 pm 

yakuza wrote:
You likely have our WHS Fireplay Add-In installed, this opens port 9999.

Also, Port Forwarding is to allow incoming access from the internet to your server. You don't want to enable that for port 587, there is no need as your emails are outgoing to gmail's port 587.

Yes, I do... I had forgotten about it because it is not displayed in the console or in the settings.

So, I'm new to port forwarding and to Router UPnP, and was wondering if there is a security concern in having ports (i.e. 80, 443, 4125 and 9999) open... I mean, can others potentially gain access to my network (server and other computers) files? I can see these as open when I check on online port checkers.

Is it safer to do the UPnP on the router or to have them manually forwarded?

I guess, as much as I want remote access to my files, I don't want my files potentially exposed to the world. Is there a way to prevent this?

Also, how do I close port 9999 should I decide to? Do I have to remove fireplay?

By the way, although the "test" message was successfully sent, I did not receive an email (not in the spam folder either). I did receive a notification on my cell phone asking if I wanted to enable and pay for the email to SMS function, which leads me to believe that a message was sent to my phone.

Last edited by firstlast on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:43 pm 
Founder
Founder

Did you enter an email address for your cellphone number for the "Recipient" field? If the latter, then your phone plan must support SMS. If you don't use SMS then I would suggest you instead configure it to send the notifications to an email address.

Having open ports on your router allows access to your server; there is always some risk to this though it is generally considered to be low. If you're not using the Remote Access features then I'd suggest you disable them.

If you want to remove port 9999 from being forwarded, then you should uninstall the Fireplay add-in unless you use it for streaming within your home.

I'd like to keep this topic dedicated to Remote Notification, if you've got general WHS/Networking/Add-In questions perhaps you can start a new topic with those. :cheers:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:50 pm 

yakuza wrote:
Did you enter an email address for your cellphone number for the "Recipient" field? If the latter, then your phone plan must support SMS. If you don't use SMS then I would suggest you instead configure it to send the notifications to an email address.

Having open ports on your router allows access to your server; there is always some risk to this though it is generally considered to be low. If you're not using the Remote Access features then I'd suggest you disable them.

If you want to remove port 9999 from being forwarded, then you should uninstall the Fireplay add-in unless you use it for streaming within your home.

I'd like to keep this topic dedicated to Remote Notification, if you've got general WHS/Networking/Add-In questions perhaps you can start a new topic with those. :cheers:

No, I entered the 10-digit cell phone number... but I think the provider blocks these unless you suscribe and pay for the added email to sms feature.

In keeping with the Remote Notification thread, however, I haven't been able to receive any emails (not in spam either) but there are no error messages on the console... any ideas?

I am using authentication and providing the username (without the @gmail.com) and password. Since this is only for mail going into gmail, can I do this without using authentication and providing my username and password?

Last edited by firstlast on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:52 pm 
Founder
Founder

You just stated that put your phone number into the "Recipient" field. In order to receive emails, you must put an email address into the "Recipient" field.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:58 pm 

yakuza wrote:
You just stated that put your phone number into the "Recipient" field. In order to receive emails, you must put an email address into the "Recipient" field.

Got it... I had thought that it did both email and SMS to cell phone. I made the changes and got the email :)

I tried sending it without the authentication, username and password and it failed with errors. I guess you have to have the authentication, username and password to receive the email notification.

In any case, thanks for your help and Happy New Year :cheers:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:29 pm 
Founder
Founder

Right, authentication is required for Gmail to accept your SMTP connection. Glad to hear you got it working, and Happy New Years to you as well! :cheers:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:49 pm 

Have you thought about sending notifications via prowl?
http://prowl.weks.net/api.php#libraries

Should be very easy to implement! For iphone owners this would be far superior than email notification (being virtually instant)

You could also use growl to notify (Which in turn can notify prowl devices).

Al.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:31 pm 
Founder
Founder

That's a great idea, and I see there is a .NET library, I'll add this to list to investigate for a future release. :cheers:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:52 pm 

I am having a confusing (and hopefully not to scary) issue with remote notification. First I have had the program installed for a while now and it seems to work like a charm. I have recently started getting an error in my event logs from remote notification but it doesn't send it to me. It is the error that really scares me but it doesn't show up anywhere else. The error is :
*****************************************************************************************
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Remote Notification
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 1/11/2010
Time: 6:57:02 PM
User: N/A
Computer: XXXXSERVER
Description:
Got Error: qsm.07e55a50-0000-0000-0000-000000000000.Object Type:WHS_NOTIFICATION_ADD Head:Storage Status Desc:WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1 has failed. Ensure it is connected. If this problem continues, add a new hard drive and then remove the failed hard drive from your server storage using the console.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Here is another:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Remote Notification
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 1/16/2010
Time: 1:59:15 PM
User: N/A
Computer: XXXXSERVER
Description:
Got Error: qsm.97bdfb7f-9161-41e8-a8d1-74ba8779e562.Object Type:WHS_NOTIFICATION_ADD Head:Storage Status Desc:Volume with name SYS has failed. Please check hard drives and try to run Repair to fix errors for disk WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
*******************************************************************************************
I have 3 drives in my homebuilt WHS and this error appears for all three but very very intermittently. I am NOT getting an error anywhere else on my WHS. No health warnings or anything. Nor is Remote Notifications sending this warning to my cell via text. Other warnings are working properly.

I am not sure what to do.

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:44 pm 
Founder
Founder

Those are transient errors that are issued and subsequently removed by WHS. This is one of the reasons I implemented a 60 second window that a health notification must be active before Remote Notification will send an email.

I expect it's simply a timing issue and WHS issues the notification, then clears it a few seconds later. I doubt your drives are actually failing.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:31 am 

you are absolutely correct. I notice log entries afterwards where it is being cleared. Wheeeew.......................I was scared!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way......been using the app for a while now and I love it.

Also using it at work (SBS 2003 with WHS for backups). How about a selective notification when backups are completed. In other words a check off to select which system would send a notification when the backup is done. Just a thought.

Steve

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:19 am 
Founder
Founder

Thanks for the comments, Steve. To be honest I'm fairly reluctant to have Remote Notification go beyond the built-in WHS Health Notifications, but I will keep your feedback in mind. :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:50 am 

No Worries!! Don't mistake my suggestion as being ungrateful. I LOVE the product as it is!!!!!

Steve

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:38 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

yakuza wrote:
PM sent with my email address. :) Thanks for reporting the issue!

Edit: I had a thought - I've only gotten gmail to work on port 587, not on the normal SSL port of 465. Which are you trying to use?

Update: agrooms had his issue resolved, it was a conflict with Norton Firewall blocking SMTP traffic.

Hi Alex,

Is port 465 still a known issue? I can't get this add-in to work with my GoDaddy mailserver (smtpout.secureserver.net) or AT&T U-verse (mail.att.yahoo.com), both of which want Authenticated SMTP, SSL. I've included screen caps from Outlook, with known-good mail settings (some personal info redacted), along with trying to use the same settings in the Remote Notification add-in.

If 465 is still an issue, I suppose I can just use my Hotmail account, which I don't use for anything else.

I opened port 465 in WHS firewall...

Best regards,
Matt

Attachments:
File comment: Outlook general settings for mail account (some info redacted).
OutlookGeneral.png
OutlookGeneral.png [ 61.19 KiB | Viewed 55539 times ]
File comment: Outgoing SMTP - authentication enabled.
OutgoingServer.png
OutgoingServer.png [ 26.91 KiB | Viewed 55539 times ]
File comment: Advanced settings - outgoing port SSL 465.
Advanced.png
Advanced.png [ 28.53 KiB | Viewed 55539 times ]
File comment: Send failed - operation timed out.
SendFailed.png
SendFailed.png [ 220.25 KiB | Viewed 55539 times ]

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups
Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:46 pm 
Founder
Founder

Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear you're encountering issues. There's no specific issue sending mail on port 465, that note is in regards to Gmail whose documentation (at least in 2007) indicated that SSL should work on port 465 however I was only able to get it to work on port 587.

That exception indicates that the server failed to connect to that smtpout.secureserver.net. I'm able to connect to that server just fine on my home network via telnet, so something is blocking your connection. I'd expect auth errors or some other exception if RN was able to actually reach the GoDaddy server. Since it also occurs with AT&T I'm very suspicious of a connectivity issue.

My first guess is perhaps you configured a static IP address on your server and didn't set up DNS? I'd log suggest logging onto your server via Remote Desktop, and fire up the browser there just to make sure it can resolve names correctly. You can also try telnet to that hostname, see if the server can access the outside network.

You might try with Hotmail just to see if it works, here is a site that has the settings documented.

Let me know how it goes,
Alex

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next