It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:46 pm 

Little_Mike wrote:

Also, for the EX485 upgrade to a E5200, do I need to change any BIOS settings, or is it just plug and play like the EX470 AMD upgrade?

Thanks!

Not sure about the EX485 but the upgrade to a dual core on the EX470 AMD was not plug and play; it required a bios upgrade. The upgrade to a higher frequency single core AMD processor might be what you're thinking about in terms of plug and play. viewtopic.php?p=10271#p10271

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:02 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Texas-Hansen wrote:
Little_Mike wrote:

Also, for the EX485 upgrade to a E5200, do I need to change any BIOS settings, or is it just plug and play like the EX470 AMD upgrade?

Thanks!

Not sure about the EX485 but the upgrade to a dual core on the EX470 AMD was not plug and play; it required a bios upgrade. The upgrade to a higher frequency single core AMD processor might be what you're thinking about in terms of plug and play. viewtopic.php?p=10271#p10271

Ok thanks for the information. I was going off of this thread: http://www.mediasmarthome.com/forum/thr ... sucessful/

I did not see any mention about changing BIOS settings, but I will give it another read.

How about the chip not working on my other motherboards that have older model LGA775 Pentium D processors? I'm trying to figure out whether or not my chip is DOA

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:29 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Texas-Hansen wrote:
Little_Mike wrote:

Thanks!

I found a compatible motherboard and my chip is NOT DOA. My EX485 will not take the chip. I've tried searching everywhere, but I see nothing regarding a EX485/7 BIOS update.

Can anyone please give me some advice? Does the EX47x have the same BIOS as the EX48x ? I don't think they would, but wanted to ask. I did read how the EX47x models need a BIOS update to run the dual core, but nothing for the EX48x.

I'm a sad MSS owner right now :(

I REALLY want to update my chip as I'm running ColdFusion on my box. It runs great until I send out a mass email for my photo blog, and then my server gets pounded by like 30 family members. If I had the dual core, it would handle the load fine.

Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:15 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Little_Mike wrote:
Can anyone please give me some advice? Does the EX47x have the same BIOS as the EX48x ? I don't think they would, but wanted to ask. I did read how the EX47x models need a BIOS update to run the dual core, but nothing for the EX48x.
You are correct.

Compare the screenshots accompanying yakuza's blog post on unlocking the EX48x bios to that of the (blurry) youtube video I posted when I first discovered the VGA pinout on the EX47x.

From the screenshots & video you can see that EX48x bios uses an AMIBIOS based while the EX47x bios uses an award bios.

The EX47x only needed a bios modification because there was an issue with its acpi-table (stored in the bios) that prevented WHS from working when a second core was present.

The EX48x of course is a whole different animal. Best of Luck!

PS: You absolutely need a video cable (home-made or purchase from cakalapati in the marketplace) if you're going to do any kind of troubleshooting on your (potential) cpu upgrade path.

Edit of Curiosity: Has anyone tried Intel's 45nm 2.2ghz chip, the E2210 (replacing the 65nm 2.2ghz E2200)?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:00 am 

I have a spare e4400 I tossed into my 485, and it posts and works. However i'm having issues getting into the BIOS to confirm temperatures etc before trying to load an OS. But, it posts, hopefully it's helpful to someone else.

Paul

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:44 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

For anyone that has tried and failed to get their system to run with a Dual-Core Processor, you have to try it again by enabling the PECI BIOS setting prior to replacing the CPU. This made all the difference in the world to my success.

So I can now say that I have a "Intel Pentium E6300 Wolfdale 2.8GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor" installed and running in my HP ex485.

Now for the difficult question that someone else might be able to answer. I'm am currently looking at the CPU temperature from the WHS Console and it says that my idle temperature is 49C. I currently have the OCCT program running and it says the idle temperature of the (2) cores are 34C and 32C. I installed the CPUID HWMonitor program and also reports the core temps as 34C and 32C. At a 15min run with OCCT, the peak temp of the WHS Console showed 80C and the CPUID HWMonitor showed 61C & 59C. Should I believe the temperature from the WHS console or the other two programs????

Thanks...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:15 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I was curious about your post so I looked up what PECI actually is and found this interesting overclock.net forums thread.
Quote:
Q. What is PECI?
A. Intel has developed the PECI as a new interface that enables communication of the temperature reading of a systems’ host processor over a single-wire bus, enabling efficient platform thermal control. It is anticipated to replace remote diode interfaces now used in most systems. PECI supports up to four temperature measurements that can control up to four fans, allowing for closer monitoring and more granular control of fan speed. Multiple CPUs can be monitored on the same bus, further streamlining monitoring and management of cooling and noise.
Quote:
When it is enabled my system is unstable and fails OCCT and Orthos in 1 min, when I disable it is perfectly stable so I just kept it disabled I guess.
Interesting to say the least!

I think at 80C your CPU probably tripped its self-preserving throttle features but if it's stable despite tripping the throttle I think you've really found something.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:13 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

ymboc wrote:
I was curious about your post so I looked up what PECI actually is and found this interesting overclock.net forums thread.
Quote:
Q. What is PECI?
A. Intel has developed the PECI as a new interface that enables communication of the temperature reading of a systems’ host processor over a single-wire bus, enabling efficient platform thermal control. It is anticipated to replace remote diode interfaces now used in most systems. PECI supports up to four temperature measurements that can control up to four fans, allowing for closer monitoring and more granular control of fan speed. Multiple CPUs can be monitored on the same bus, further streamlining monitoring and management of cooling and noise.
Quote:
When it is enabled my system is unstable and fails OCCT and Orthos in 1 min, when I disable it is perfectly stable so I just kept it disabled I guess.
Interesting to say the least!

I think at 80C your CPU probably tripped its self-preserving throttle features but if it's stable despite tripping the throttle I think you've really found something.

What I find interesting as well, is why having this option disabled would prevent the system from booting with the E6300. The only change was enabling this option then trying the E6300 agian. For me, it doesn't appear to be an option to have this option turned off if I want to run this processor. I'm not sure if the processor was throttling back because I didn't see any indication of it from my observation and I have two different programs telling me the temperature wasn't that hot. I am hoping that someone might have a more definative answer on the temperature question.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:13 am 

Somewhat off-topic, while removing the CPU from my system, getting a good look at the CPU HS assembly. It looks an aweful lot like a BTX CPU spacing and size. Anyone happen to have a spare BTX assembly around to check and see how close they actually are?

Paul

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:26 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Anyone have success upgrading the ex48*s with an Intel E8200 (Core 2 Duo, 2.66 GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333 MHz FSB, 45nm)?

I have read entries in the Forum regarding this but for the ex49*s which lead me to speculate it has an excellent chance of working.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:48 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Happy to report that the upgrade of the ex485 with an Intel e8200 was successful - at least so far (4 hrs of usage). It is streaming video to 2 pcs and just finished with a backup at the moment. :banana:

The temperatures do suck (low of 64 high of 77) but they have ALWAYS sucked with this ex485 WHS. Hopefully, temps will drop at least 4-5 degrees avg as the Arctic Silver settles. Temperatures with the stock Celeron were typically in the 63-73 range.

[ I have 2 ex475's (both upgraded with AMD BE-2300's CPUs and 2gb of RAM) and one never reports above 41 degrees while the other never goes above 50 degrees. Both of the ex475's ran much warmer with the stock Semprons ].

The stock paste of the ex485 didn't look bad/excessive and was grey in color - unlike the stock paste of my ex475s which looked as if they had used bubblegum at the factory.

Attachments:
e8200.png
e8200.png [ 236.4 KiB | Viewed 60981 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:00 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Not sure about the EX485 but the upgrade to a dual core on the EX470 AMD was not plug and play; it required a bios upgrade. The upgrade to a higher frequency single core AMD processor might be what you're thinking about in terms of plug and play. viewtopic.php?p=10271#p10271[/quote]

I found a compatible motherboard and my chip is NOT DOA. My EX485 will not take the chip. I've tried searching everywhere, but I see nothing regarding a EX485/7 BIOS update.

I'm a sad MSS owner right now :(

I REALLY want to update my chip as I'm running ColdFusion on my box. It runs great until I send out a mass email for my photo blog, and then my server gets pounded by like 30 family members. If I had the dual core, it would handle the load fine.

Thanks!

Check out this thread, there is a way to flash the bios now without the VGA cable.

http://www.mediasmarthome.com/forum/thread/11977/HP-EX-485-CPU-upgrade-sucessful/?page=12

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:11 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

bryanb wrote:

The 47xs are AMD based machines whereas the 48xs are Intel based machines. They do not have the same mobo bios.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:28 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

NearMadness wrote:
Happy to report that the upgrade of the ex485 with an Intel e8200 was successful - at least so far (4 hrs of usage). It is streaming video to 2 pcs and just finished with a backup at the moment. :banana:

The temperatures do suck (low of 64 high of 77) but they have ALWAYS sucked with this ex485 WHS. Hopefully, temps will drop at least 4-5 degrees avg as the Arctic Silver settles. Temperatures with the stock Celeron were typically in the 63-73 range.

[ I have 2 ex475's (both upgraded with AMD BE-2300's CPUs and 2gb of RAM) and one never reports above 41 degrees while the other never goes above 50 degrees. Both of the ex475's ran much warmer with the stock Semprons ].

The stock paste of the ex485 didn't look bad/excessive and was grey in color - unlike the stock paste of my ex475s which looked as if they had used bubblegum at the factory.

Did you have to do anything to the bios before upgrading to the e8200?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:32 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Keigotw

You don't need to do any BIOS changes to the ex48? prior to setting it with your e8200... HOWEVER, I wish I had done so.

You see, the Intel Processor Identification Utility reports each core's speed to be 1.99 GHz instead of the full 2.66 GHz after rebooting on the e8200 --- and according to this (http://www.mediasmarthome.com/forum/thread/11977/HP-EX-485-CPU-upgrade-sucessful/?page=3) by disabling the "Speed stepping" feature at the BIOS you achieve the potential of the upgrade. If there's a way to do it without shifting the CPUs back and forth and without one of those custom cables please share the methodology...!!!!!

As far as temperatures is concerned, my ex48 is now actually doing better than with the stock CPU... Avg. temps fluctuate between 53-63 degrees and only reach the low 70's when the room temperature is very warm and the machine is running the HP Video converter software. + something other process.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next