It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: New owner help.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:29 pm 

hi all

Just recently purchased an old MediaSmart 490, is it possible to install windows server on this little guy and use it as a domain server? Thank you

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: New owner help.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:12 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

People have done it with older certain windows server versions.
Some versions are easy to install to some are difficult with many steps.
But the real issue is finding a version available that works now.

Just search this site.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:14 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

fparamo1979 wrote:
hi all

Just recently purchased an old MediaSmart 490, is it possible to install windows server on this little guy and use it as a domain server? Thank you
Consensus is stay away from s2k12.

Have a look here for what seems to be the best way to go if you don't mind paying for a current server OS.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=14950

I haven't tried it myself. For my use (client backup & sharing) the older Home Server OS's work just fine. I have two 49x MSS servers and another for spare parts should I ever need them. The one that has my primary data on runs v1 and HDD's. The other I've been using for hardware & software testing that primarily runs whs11 with Micron SSD's.

My HDD's (WD gold's) are starting to push 25k hours so prolly sooner than later I'll retire v1 all together and "upgrade" to my $30 copy of whs11...

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:11 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Another vote for WHS2011 from me. My EX470 quit on me about 5 months ago but I hadn't gotten around to repairing it until last night. Yet another wonky boot drive (I transitioned away from the original 500GB Seagate a long time ago, moving to a small SSD), so I spent a few hours last night popping in another SSD and installing WHS2011 on my heavily modded EX470. I also picked it up for $30 and consider it an absolute steal at that price.

Things to note when you install it (at least on my old EX470) - the external optical drive must be in the bottom USB port on the back of the unit to boot from the CD. I also was using a small 120GB SSD which did not meet the OS required 160GB minimum requirement. I used a custom cfg.ini file that eliminates the 160GB requirement but it HAD to be in the front USB port on the unit, not in any on the back. Lesson learned. But once again, the old tank rises from the dead and continues to back up all rigs nightly. I consider it one of my favorites PC hardware purchases dating back to 1989.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:27 pm 

WalkinTarget wrote:
Another vote for WHS2011 from me. My EX470 quit on me about 5 months ago but I hadn't gotten around to repairing it until last night. Yet another wonky boot drive (I transitioned away from the original 500GB Seagate a long time ago, moving to a small SSD), so I spent a few hours last night popping in another SSD and installing WHS2011 on my heavily modded EX470. I also picked it up for $30 and consider it an absolute steal at that price.

Things to note when you install it (at least on my old EX470) - the external optical drive must be in the bottom USB port on the back of the unit to boot from the CD. I also was using a small 120GB SSD which did not meet the OS required 160GB minimum requirement. I used a custom cfg.ini file that eliminates the 160GB requirement but it HAD to be in the front USB port on the unit, not in any on the back. Lesson learned. But once again, the old tank rises from the dead and continues to back up all rigs nightly. I consider it one of my favorites PC hardware purchases dating back to 1989.

Hello,
I have fired up my EX470 factory reset it and currently having a concern setting it up
01. HP Software disc to setup the server does not work on W10 or x64 OS's (maybe need to dig out W7 x32 OS and install on a system here just to do the initial setup so I can RDP to the device)
02. BIOS upgrade - is there a proper process you used for dual core CPU support
03. RAM upgrade - is there a proper process to allow 4GB support

Any insight or assistance is appreciated.

I am interested in your mods.

Thank you

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:57 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

01. HP Software disc to setup the server does not work on W10 or x64 OS's (maybe need to dig out W7 x32 OS and install on a system here just to do the initial setup so I can RDP to the device)

Does the disc run on the pc at all?
What wording is on the disc?
Give details of what happens when you insert it to the pc.

The reason I ask is the hp disc is probably whsv1 and should work.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:29 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

One word. Xpenology which is a version of Synology and it works great. I have used it on both Ex485 and EX495. Very fast and should do everything you need to do with your server. So much better than any windows based server program you can install on it.

https://xpenology.com/forum/

EX495 (Xpenology OS)
3 Xpenology servers home built
Raspberry Pi3B (openmediavault)
Nvidia Shield
Many windows & Linux Computers
Odroid XU4 server (openmediavault OS)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:16 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

EDIT: OK wait @bombz was installing the v1 OS on a ex47x using a w10 client. He was not having problems making the connector work on a w10 client. Immediately below are the steps to install the connector on a w10 client. A few posts below I've added a how-to to help with getting the MSS v1 OS onto the 47x using a w10 client.

EDIT'S for clarity:

1) Confirm the version of w10 your using has SMB1 enabled before connecting (later w10 versions contain it but it is de-activated). The path to activate it is Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features\Turn Windows Features On Or Off. Scroll down, find SMB 1.0/CIFS..., expand it, select SMB 1.0 Client. Verify SMB1.0 Automatic Removal is unchecked.

2) Confirm your version of w10 has .NET Framework 3.5 enabled (this includes 2.0 & 3.0). The path to enable .NET 3.5 is the same as enabling SMB1. It is typically the first selection on the list. Expand the selection and check all three boxes.

3) Apply changes and allow windows update to update the system

4) Now close and reboot.

5) Verify your time, date, and time zone on the client is correct.

6) Note: The MSS will not show up in the network until you enable the network search feature by clicking on the Network icon in File Explorer. It will also not show up until you complete step 1-4.

7) As Ruben suggests below, navigate to the connector (it is networked on the server) using this path: File Explorer\Network\<ServerName>\Software\WHS Connector Software. The install file is setup.exe. I prefer to drop the entire Connector Software folder on my desktop and install from there, but you don't have to.

Should you not have networked drive access for some weird reason, just RDP into the server. The connector is located on the C: drive at C:WHS. Just download the entire folder to a thumb drive & drop it onto your w10 client. Install it the same way by clicking on the file setup.exe.

8) In case the connection install doesn't happen first time (every once and a while the connector can be a bit finicky), you may need to shut down your antivirus, third party firewall and the 3 M$ firewall profiles. To disable the M$ firewall(s) go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Windows Firewall With Advanced Security\Windows Firewall Properties. Set the firewall state to Disabled in Domain Profile, Private Profile, and the Public Profile tabs. Then just re-enable once the connector is active.

On the rest:

Dual Core BIOS upgrade: Search is your friend. There are multiple how-to threads on this forum.
To change RAM sticks: this is just like on any computer. There are also many how-to's on this forum and the interweb. Just (carefully) remove the SATA daughter board, pull out the mobo/psu assembly and change out the stick.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Last edited by lioninstreet on Mon May 31, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:39 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

For me I do not use the connector disc anymore.
Because after a recovery each mss update has a new connector version and sometimes the disc wants to install it's version instead.
So I simply open file explorer and select network on the bottom left.
It should show all computers on the network including your mss.
Click on it select the software folder then click on home connector software then click on setup.exe.
And I have never had a issue with win10 64 unless smb1 was deleted on the pc.
If that is the case goto programs and features select turn windows features on or off.
Scroll down to smb1 expand and check smb1 server and smb1 client.
Do not bother with smb2 they run side by side.

The hardest part of opening the mss is the top and not breaking the sata backplane when you pop it out.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/09 ... -hardware/

While it is apart take a can of air blaster and swabs and clean all the components including all the fans

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Last edited by Ruben Rocha on Wed May 12, 2021 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:18 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

The steps below may help when attempting to load the v1 OS onto a ex47x using w10. Some have said you need a 32 bit client to install the OS onto the server, but I've installed it with x64 clients many times, just not a w10 client. So I hope this helps.

1. Verify server is off
2. Start client w/LAN cable attached and internet working
3. Verify no WHS software is installed on the terminal
4. Download v1 recovery disk to the client desktop
5. Disable all 3 firewalls (domain, public, private) in control panel/admin tools/ win firewall / firewall properties
6. Disable antivirus
7. Enable .NET 3.5 (and 2.0 & 3.0) in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features\Turn Windows Features On Or Off. It is typically the first selection on the list. Expand the selection and check all three boxes.
8. In same location scroll down and find SMB 1.0/CIFS..., expand, select SMB 1.0 Client and enable. Also Verify SMB1.0 Automatic Removal is unchecked.
9. Change LAN cable to a direct connection from the client to the MSS using OE server cable or a CAT5e cable (this is critical).
10. Restart client in safe mode with networking
11. Follow the standard install process.

Let us know how you get on with it.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks