It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:08 pm 

Hi guys, I appreciate you looking at this and thank you in advance for any help/insight you can offer.

I'm thinking about getting the MV2120 since it's much cheaper than the MSS, and using saved money to get 2 1TB drives to install into it. On top of that I'm wondering if it's possible to install WHS on to the device? I was googling and searching here but didn't see anything specific and I can't be the only one to think of doing this.

Along with the price, I really like the form factor of the device as I need to fit it into a smallish area that the MSS is too tall for.

Thanks again!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:14 am 

Welcome to the forums.

I have not messed around with that particular item but from what I understand it is a NAS (with some good reviews if you're looking for a NAS). As such, it really is not a good comparision with the WHS servers such as the HP MSS models. As for putting WHS on that unit, I have not seen that done and while I'm not familar with the specs on that unit, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the hardware/horsepower/memory to run WHS. (looks like it has Marvell ARM Processor/ SoC/ 128MB DDR2 DRAM Memory in it.)

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:15 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I have a MV2120 and I can tell you that it is NOT possible to install WHS on it. It does not have a traditional CPU. It uses a NAS ON CHIP design. It is possible to install Linux though. Here's some good information:

http://www.k0lee.com/hpmediavault/

Thanks