It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:03 pm 

Hi, I throw myself at the mercy of this forum. I've been trying for a week now to setup remote access to my HP Media Vault 2120 and I'm at the end of my rope. I'm fairly savvy and thought I could figure this out on my own, but I just can't.

Cox High-speed Cable
Netgerar RangeMax Router (WPN824)

WAN IP: 72.204.191.38
MediaVault IP: 192.168.1.205
Router DHCP range: 2 - 200

I've done the port forwarding on the router for http, and that still doesn't allow outside access. Internally, it just brings me to my router's log-in page. Externally, I get nothing.

I've run the ShieldsUp Port diagnosis tool, and I get all ports are Stealth. I'm not really sure I know what that means.

If anybody can have mercy on me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

hjboudre

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:49 am 
Founder
Founder

Some ISPs block traffic on specific ports (often port 80), I'd suggest forwarding port 443 and see if that works...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:23 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

hjboudre wrote:
Hi, I throw myself at the mercy of this forum. I've been trying for a week now to setup remote access to my HP Media Vault 2120 and I'm at the end of my rope. I'm fairly savvy and thought I could figure this out on my own, but I just can't.

Cox High-speed Cable
Netgerar RangeMax Router (WPN824)

WAN IP: 72.x.x.x
MediaVault IP: 192.168.1.205
Router DHCP range: 2 - 200

I've done the port forwarding on the router for http, and that still doesn't allow outside access. Internally, it just brings me to my router's log-in page. Externally, I get nothing.

I've run the ShieldsUp Port diagnosis tool, and I get all ports are Stealth. I'm not really sure I know what that means.

If anybody can have mercy on me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

hjboudre

First of all, edit your original post and take out your public ip address. This is the 72.x.x.x, you should NEVER give this address out.

Second, enable remote access in the mediavault itself.
Open a browser and go to 192.168.1.205. On the "shared folders" tab select the folder you want to share and click the modify button. Select the options you want, mostly the web access or ftp access will be what you're looking for. Assign a password!!
Once this is done, test it by going to http://192.168.1.205:8080. the mediavault only uses port 80 for management and share access, and port 8080 for share access only. This can be changed but its not neccessary, just use the 8080, it'll accomplish what you want. Of course, if you want ftp access thats port 21.
In your browser you should see all the folders that you enabled sharing for. If this works go to step 3, if not repeat the above and fix what you missed.
Step 3 is opening the correct port in your firewall.
I'm not familiar with your exact router but they are mostly the same. Somewhere you will have to open the port in the routers config. Find that page in the config and open port 8080 to the 192.168.1.205 address.
Once you open it, go to Shields Up and click proceed then put 8080 in the box and select custom port scan. It should come back open. If not, we'll have to dig a little further.
If its open, you're done. You will probably not be able to access the shares using the external address from inside your lan so have a friend or relative test it from their connection.
Let me know if you need more help.

Thanks