It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:07 pm 

I have an HP Media Vault that I can access on my home network via a web browser, but not as a network asset via the Windows Explorer. I experience this problem on all home-networked PCs. The problem with this is that in the web browser I am forced to open or download files one at a time. This makes it impractical to copy several gigabytes of photos.

The following are the specifics for my hardware and network setup.
HP Media Vault
Model: HPMV2010
Firmware Version: Version:1.3.5.9
HDD Size: 300.1GB
HDD Mfg/Model: ST3300822AS
HDD Interface: SATA
HDD Status (per web-based control panel): good
Network security Mode: Workgroup mode
Workgroup Name: Workgroup
Device Name: HPMediaVault

Router
Service Provider: Verizon FiOS
Router Model: MI424WR
Is HP Media Vault visible in router: Yes, and all "settings" are default.

I can see the HP Media Vault listed in my Windows Explorer under My Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > Workgroup, however I am unable to access it or even view properties. My PC uses Comodo Firewall, all other home PCs use Windows default. I've been through an exhaustive troubleshooting session with HP technical support. In my opinion the tech was patient, thorough, and even tried several things "off script" to assist me. Upon concluding several hours of phone-support troubleshooting we came to the conclusion that the HP Media Vault functions properly, leaving only my network as a possibility.

Has anyone else lost the ability to view and access their HP Media Vault in Windows, but still able to access and use the HP Media Vault via their web browser?

If not, can anyone recommend common "operator error" things to check that I can verify on my end?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:55 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Hello, welcome to the forums...
While I don't have a Media Vault, there is a section just for the topic that might be a place to get more info.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=9
It sounds like this is a problem on all your client pc;s that are attached to your network. The chances that all the pc's are having a problem at the same time is unlikely (different firewalls aside).
So I would be looking at the router/switch. That is the common link for all your devices, other then the vault itself.
Ya might try completely dropping the firewall on one of the pc's and rebooting the vault and that pc to make sure it isn't something in your firewalls. Of course you would want to turn that firewall back on after the test.
Other then that, The only other thing I could think of trying would be get a cheap router and just attach your incoming internet wire to it, the media vault and maybe 1 laptop, just make a temporary little network and see what happens.
If that doesn't work, it just about has to do with the vault.

As I said, I don't have a vault and don't know if you can just pull a drive and read the files and copy off for a reload, but I don't think you can.
Goodluck
The media vault was kind of cool, but without windows home server it make data recovery different, I know there is some good resources at the link above.

Media smart / Media vault / and other nas/other server all have one thing in common, always have a backup of your data because ya just can't trust it to be in only one place.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:22 am 

What happens if you were to boot your computer into safe mode with networking and then try to access the MV2010?

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:17 pm 

I've attempted the following, each time resulting in no change in the symptoms:

I've dropped the firewall and rebooted.
I've tried attaching the HPMV directly to a desktop and to a laptop.
I've tried rebooting into safe mode with networking.
I tried relaxing the default security on my router to minimal.

After each of these troubleshooting steps I've restored to my 'normal configuration'.

I tried pulling the HDD and attaching it directly to a PC, but it turns out that the HPMV makes use of a unique OS that's more LINUX-ish and not Windows OS compatible. HP Tech Support explained to me that in order to be successful in reading the HDD directly off a PC, that PC would have to be running a special 'flavor' of LINUX. I know I'm glossing over the details off this option, but when it was originally discussed I knew it was well over my technical ability so I didn't put any thought into retaining the knowledge.

Thank you for the recommendations!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:23 am 

Bottom line up front: I reset the device and I can now access the data.

Discussion: I reached out to the author of an old website for my product and he was generous enough to assist me with incremental troubleshooting. He determined that my HPMV's "Samba daemon" was not running. He then recommended I make use of the reset button to restart that particular process.

I hesitantly followed the reset instructions he directed me towards. I say hesitantly because I distinctly recall performing this process under the guidance of an HP Tech Support representative I worked with some time ago. At that time there was no change in my symptoms.

However, I am happy to report that after this most recent attempt to use the reset button that I can now see and access the HPMV in my Windows Explorer. I don't have a good answer for why the reset button did not work in the past but worked now. Regardless, I'm in the process of burning by pictures to disk to preserve the data.

For those interested the individual's site that helped was http://k0lee.com/hpmediavault.

:banana:

Thanks