It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:37 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I just purchased a Seagate 500gb drive to add to one of my Media Vaults, but when I put it in the bay, the light turns purple for a moment (as it should) then 30 seconds or so later turns red.
I tried it in a pc and formatted it fine. I ran disk tools and it reported no bad sectors etc. I then ran Seatools on it and it reported no problems.

Any idea why it won't format or work in my Media Vault?

When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true. Unless it's really a meteor hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life as we know it. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:16 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I do not have a mediavault, but i wanted to at least respond to ya...
I did a google search and didn't see a huge seagate 500gig media vault problem.
All I could offer is to try another known good drive (different brand) and see what it does.
I understand most normal people don't have piles of drives laying around, me not being normal always have a few drives around just in case.
I can wish ya good luck, I never did see the need for the media vault, don't get me wrong they look cool as heck and if they used Windows Home Server I would have snapped one up in a second.

Anyway, not much help but know that somebody feels your pain "hate it when things don't go the way they are suppose to" ](*,)

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:07 pm 

I have drives which actually test out well but do not play well for certain things and there is no rhyme or reason for this. I actually have a MediaVault which I have never used it still in its original box sealed. I believe those units are SATA I but even so all drives should be backwards compatible with them however some newer drives being AF may cause problems trying to run them in an older unit but with Seagate they have always been able to play well with older systems and many of the newer drives being manufactured now are backwards compatible with the older systems but I am not quite sure what format the mediavault uses to format their drives.

While I have one here I never intended on using it as I just have it to have it as part of my HP collection of toys but I guess I could fire it up and play with it but it will have to wait a couple weeks for me to get to it when I have time off from work around Aug 30th. Thing is I am uncertain how it will play with my server environment.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:06 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I had an old 200GB drive that I tried and got the same results. Then I installed a working 1TB drive I pulled from another system. In all cases the behavior was the same. Light comes on purple. About a minute later it turns red and I can't configure the drive.

I guess it's possible the MV is dying...but was hoping someone else may have seen this before and could point me in the right direction. I'm considering removing both drives and setting up the 1TB as the system drive - then trying to add in the 500 gb that is the system drive now....it's just an extra back up of data, so there's nothing important that will be lost in doing this.

When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true. Unless it's really a meteor hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life as we know it. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:33 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Okay - so I swapped the drive for another one and, for reasons unknown, this one worked perfectly. I hate that I don't know what caused me all that hassle, but I'm happy to have the system up and running with two drives.

Thanks