It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:30 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hi all,

I have a LOT of DVD's and Blu-Rays I want to end up on my x510, so I have a lot of ripping ahead of me :crazy:

What I'd like to k now is, what's the better CPU for video conversion ? I plan on putting a box together for this and will end up being my main PC.

I'm looking at the i5 quad or the 860/920 i7 CPU with at least 8GB Ram and Gigabyte mainboard and a Nvidia video card (1GB to drive my Dell 30" screen)

As I'll need to convert over 2000 movies all up (dunno if I am going to do my whole collection just yet)

Now I do need a new PC, but I want it mainly for video conversion (I use Handbrake)

I used a HP z600 (Xeon) at work and it was clocking up 200+ frames per second (Nice) I think I could get a 860/920 to get to these speeds yes ?

Any help on this would be great, remember this is aimed at just being a video conversion machine (and anything else second)

I plan on going out this weekend to buy something as I have some time off soon to put my system together :banana:

Cheers

Steve

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:49 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

The i7 has hyperthreading while it appears the quad core i5 CPUs do not. Handbrake will take advantage of HT if it is available (edit: too bad you Windows folks don't get a 64 bit version).

http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=42915,37147,

Last edited by Cliff on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:59 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Although I use Vegas Pro (64 bit) to render videos it's really the same specs if you are doing video conversion:

i7 CPU is a must
at least 8GB of memory
A FAST HD. 10k Raptor or the 5 plater 2gb Black WD drives. The later is about $300 but worth it.
Win 7 - 64 bit

I would search for a real deal 64 bit video conversion software to maximize and use your hardware and ideally it can cue/batch a bunch of files and just keep churning away. Sorry...I don't do this yet but I will.

I would NEVER render to a network share. Far to slow. Sure, if your part of the Avatar Movie render farm and can build dozens of boxes from scratch with a better OS and run a couple hundred boxes thats a different story.

HTH :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:02 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Yeah I'll have a fast drive and 64-Bit Windows 7 too :P

Just want to cut down on conversion times

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:20 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Sorry...forgot.

And if you have the budget:

2 matched 2TB WD black 5 plater screaming fast and hot hard drives + a hardware RAID card using RAID 0 (striped disks) = the speeding ticket :)

About $800 :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:30 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I've decided to go with a 920 i7 CPU.

I hope it's quick :o

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:00 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Oz_Steve wrote:
Hi all,

I have a LOT of DVD's and Blu-Rays I want to end up on my x510, so I have a lot of ripping ahead of me :crazy:

What I'd like to k now is, what's the better CPU for video conversion ? I plan on putting a box together for this and will end up being my main PC.

I'm looking at the i5 quad or the 860/920 i7 CPU with at least 8GB Ram and Gigabyte mainboard and a Nvidia video card (1GB to drive my Dell 30" screen)

As I'll need to convert over 2000 movies all up (dunno if I am going to do my whole collection just yet)

Now I do need a new PC, but I want it mainly for video conversion (I use Handbrake)

I used a HP z600 (Xeon) at work and it was clocking up 200+ frames per second (Nice) I think I could get a 860/920 to get to these speeds yes ?

Any help on this would be great, remember this is aimed at just being a video conversion machine (and anything else second)

I plan on going out this weekend to buy something as I have some time off soon to put my system together :banana:

Cheers

Steve

Just rip an ISO of everything, no conversion needed.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:24 am 

aaronwt wrote:

I assume the OP wants to convert to save space. I do agree though, I prefer to just keep the original quality for all my blu rays and dvds. I don't use ISOs though, I prefer to just throw into a ts or mkv (main movie and main audio track).

I do however encode the tv shows I record, as well as cut out commercials, so I hope sometime in the near future to be upgrading to a core i7 from my quad core, which would only make the process that much faster.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:14 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
aaronwt wrote:

I assume the OP wants to convert to save space. I do agree though, I prefer to just keep the original quality for all my blu rays and dvds. I don't use ISOs though, I prefer to just throw into a ts or mkv (main movie and main audio track).

I do however encode the tv shows I record, as well as cut out commercials, so I hope sometime in the near future to be upgrading to a core i7 from my quad core, which would only make the process that much faster.

Correct, I do it to save space, and I'd rather just keep the main movie and audio. I do rip Blu-Rays to MKV's but the way I rip DVD's the quality is awesome and file size around 800 to 1GB in size (better than the 4/8GB if I rip to a iso.

I'll post back here when I get the i7 and let you know how it is :P

Steve

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:53 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I don't see anything on AMD here, I am a AMD guy and am really wondering if the Best Intel and the best AMD went head to head on a 64 bit OS with software that could use it, who would win and by how much. I could be wrong but price for price I think you would be OK with AMD.
But if the question is which Intel would be the best, just skip past this 8)

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:14 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Meh - you want real speed - find a ripper that supports GPU acceleration. Either hardware h.264 or CUDA -- or both :twisted:

Thanks