It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:25 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/6/3735014/cable-tivo-home-network-hd-streaming-recording-fcc-order-2014

The FCC has ordered cable operators (and TiVo) to update their cable boxes to include support for HD streaming over home networks to devices like PCs, smart TVs, and tablets. In addition to video streaming, cable boxes must also allow HD video recording on external devices through home networks. By July 2nd 2014 the vast majority of set top boxes will have to support an open standard, although cable companies with fewer than 400,000 subscribers have been given an extra two months to implement the changes.

By July 2nd 2014 most set top boxes will have to support an open standard

The commission originally ordered cable companies to support network-based streaming back in 2010, but TiVo protested the order saying "if each cable operator deploys set-top boxes with its own understanding of an open industry standard, the result may be an outcome that is neither standard nor open." The FCC has now clarified that an open standard should enable companies to work together without consultation, explaining that video streaming should work even if the cable company and (for example) PC manufacturer have never had any contact with each other.

Both the FCC and Verizon have cited the successor to the DLNA Premium Video Profile, which should be agreed upon at some point next year, as an example of a compliant protocol that cable companies could adopt. In order for the standard to comply, it must support "recordable high-definition video, closed captioning data, service discovery, video transport, and remote control command pass-through."

It'll be down to each company to choose the standard they want to use, but whatever happens, customers should be free to watch (and record) their cable TV content on any household device they choose.

13 TB, mixed drives
400+ DVDs and 80 BD ripped using MakeMKV

~My beautiful wife is always asking me if I love my computers more than her...I don't understand it!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:36 am 

It will be interesting to see where this goes and what type of handicaps/restrictions are placed on the content. For example, if you look at CableCard you can freely record DRM'd content on your PC, but you can then only watch it on that specific PC. This would obviously contradict what is being proposed, as according to the FCC all content (regardless of DRM) should be available to watch throughout your house.

There are already similar type services offered. For example, as a Cablevision customer I can watch Live TV anywhere in my house on several different platforms (iOS, some Android, Laptop). Of course the difference here is you can only watch live tv (you don't have access to recordings but that could change down the road as Cablevision has a cloud based DVR service)

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks