It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:30 pm 

Hi I have seen a couple of ubuntu installs and I will say that the WHS seems to be a well liked product.
But
I had the chance of a new ex 490 for £125 and wanted linux on it, along the way I found the biggest problem is an mtu driver bug in the sis191 ethernet driver.
That and if your like me you want it to work, not spend hours battling with it.

So i tried various distro's and etther they would connect but were unreachable- or it felt like hard work.
Currently I'm running

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/lampstack which has a graphical web interface ability to backup and migrate your server to amazon cloud
and as the usbnet.c appears in kernel drivers a cheap usb ethernet £5.86 delivered(ebay apple clone) has it online until the onboard is driver is updated or fixed. 32 bit currently but the 64 bit version soon allegedly.

I know this is a windows forum mostly, but I have been lurking reading the who to's and hope it may be of interest to others

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:16 am 

The silence is deafening.
lvm mint maya 13 webmin lamp plex activated ssh and the ethernet onboard works :boxster:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:15 am 
Founder
Founder

Thanks for sharing your experience. As you note, most of us use WHS so not many people are probably going to try this.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:50 pm 

Hi I'm not bashing the WHS which many are happy with,

I'm just suggesting a GUI Linux alternative.
May I also say what an excellent forum this is for upgrades disussions I've lurked and learnt a lot.
my initial howto is
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p637958

I hope that someone finds the breif howto useful and I now intend to investigate the led lights if they are not too difficult and time consuming to initialise.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:06 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Thx for the info, it looks like at some point we all will be looking for something else.
I have been reading about the FOG project, free open source client backups to a central server.

I wish I knew more about unix/linux but getting to old now to start over. If somebody could code up a WHS like program as a replacement that could be installed, I think it would be less buggy and take less system resources then windows based.
I started with dos 3.0 seems like just yesterday :-)
Goodluck with your distros......I think thats what they call them

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:03 am 

Gardian wrote:
Thx for the info, it looks like at some point we all will be looking for something else.
I have been reading about the FOG project, free open source client backups to a central server.

I wish I knew more about unix/linux but getting to old now to start over. If somebody could code up a WHS like program as a replacement that could be installed, I think it would be less buggy and take less system resources then windows based.
I started with dos 3.0 seems like just yesterday :-)
Goodluck with your distros......I think thats what they call them

Thank you for your reply the Fog Project looks interesting and would run on the solution I provided as Mint is Ubuntu based.

I understand your trepidation with linux and I forced myself to try it in 2005 and haven't looked back, that said I like a GUI solution with the option to tinker via command line if required is my preferred solution.

I'm looking to recreate the features of the HP EX490 software which LVM will act as drive extender- + I have also experienced the annoyance of linux zealots who think it is unholy to want a server with a gui.

My solution would allow web interface, command line login and remote desktop if you wish.

I've been reading the various guides and if I'm right the connector on motherboard is a hirose 26 position 2mm , the problem is a special crimper, but I think I can get a pre made cable looking at a German you tube video and cut the plug off one end and solder vga connector on to fit where Kensington lock slot is.
Reason I want this is the pre made one takes up a bay by look of it

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:37 pm 

Not to get off topic but you do not need to install the debug board in a drive bay. I ran my cable to the front of an EX470 then ran it out to the side and attached the debug board to the side of the server with velcro. I actually did this to a couple EX470's.

The link below will show you exactly what I did:

viewtopic.php?p=70165#p70165

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
teaker1s
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:06 pm 

Comp1962 wrote:
Not to get off topic but you do not need to install the debug board in a drive bay. I ran my cable to the front of an EX470 then ran it out to the side and attached the debug board to the side of the server with velcro. I actually did this to a couple EX470's.

The link below will show you exactly what I did:

viewtopic.php?p=70165#p70165

It's on my list of things to do, money wise things are tight so I'll have to wait- but bios vga is a definate wish list

Thanks