It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: MSS VGA Cable
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:06 pm 

Thanks for the cable. This has made my life easier, not that I couldn't have built it, I'm busy with work and family life and sometimes I don't get to focus on things such as this.

The cable works great and does what I need which is provide the video feed to an external display.

The lead that you provided was long enough to fish it through the back between the hard drive riser and fans down to the bottom where the motherboard is. The head I looped through the hard drive LED cable so that the VGA cable can hand down in the small chase down the back of the chassis.

I did this so that I didn't have to modify my chassis. When I need the video I'll slide the top off and connect my cable.

I also tried looping the cable around the board (NOTE: once the VGA is connected to the board, carefully twist the cable clockwise, what this does is wind the cable tighter and when running the cable across the board near the Northbridge, the wires won't hang off the board and get sheared off. So I routed the cable across the motherboard near the Northbridge to the RAM, then to the front of the chassis between the RAM and CPU Heatsink. This allowed the cable to face the perforated shield in front of the motherboard. Looking at the spacing on the VGA cable mounting holes and the spacing on the perforated steel, I'd almost bet that they'd match up if someone were to cut the front panel and mount the video cable. As for input it's all USB.

I like some of the features of WHS but I'm not happy with the storage driver. I lost a lot of files that I placed on my MSS (luckily I had redundant files on other drives).

I plan on installing Windows Server 2003 R2 or 2008. I've toyed around with the SIS 966 RAID driver and had three drives running in RAID5 while the OS was standalone. I'm thinking of possibly installing a CPU with more cache for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 as I do a lot of WSS programming in my spare time. I also intend to convert most of my videos to WMV or MP4 and purchase the HP MediaSmart Connect as I've already got a nice HDTV.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again Charles!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:25 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hi awclayton77,

I'm glad the cable is working great for you (and for all the others who have ordered cables). I'm glad you tried a few installation techniques and went with the one that works best for you, however, be careful not to intrude too much on the air flow. There needs to be continuous air flow over those heat sinks, otherwise you risk having your MSS shutdown unexpectedly.

My personal setup involves the cable going straight to the back of the chassis and up to the top (going beside the fans that are on the back of the chassis--not infront). So far, this configuration has worked very well for me.

I cannot comment on installing other operating systems, however, I think there are several individuals who have gone that route and have had successful results. You can look at some of the other topics on this forum for more details on that.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:55 pm 

Thanks Cakalapati for the cable! I was very impressed in how well it was made! I look forward to using it when I get my server on Friday.

To anyone who is thinking about purchasing the cable but are on the fence about it, go for it. Cakalapati makes great cables and the shipping was very fast. I couldn't be any happier about it! :)

Thanks  
 Post subject: vga cable
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:09 pm 

cable works great, used it to safely change the bios setting to 'always on' after power failure.

bios setting:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/ ... highlight=

mediasmart server disassembly:
http://www.myhomeserver.com/?page_id=10

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:50 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

To extend the life of your cable, I've included tips on good and bad ways to remove your cable.

Attachments:
File comment: Cable Removal Technique: Grab connector housing and gently nudge up and down until connector comes loose.
Good Cable Removal.PNG
Good Cable Removal.PNG [ 348.35 KiB | Viewed 73465 times ]
File comment: Incorrect cable removal (removal by pulling on the cable itself) may damage the connector wiring.
Bad Cable Removal.PNG
Bad Cable Removal.PNG [ 348.86 KiB | Viewed 73466 times ]
Thanks  
 Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:57 pm 

The cable worked great for me. I have Server 2008 loaded on my Ex470 now. The transfers between vista and 2k8 are so fast now. SMB 2.0 is great.

Now if I can only fix the blinking blue light.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:10 am 

Hello:

I live in Spain, I got the cable and everything is working great. :)

Thanks!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:43 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Great job on the cable thank you very much

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:03 pm 

:D I order from spain the vga version, and run well, y put it fix, i see them in a frre slot of HD. The time to obtain for me (In Spain) is 15 days. Good service

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:02 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Charles -

WOW, I ordered last Friday and recieved on Tuesday (Monday holiday).
Cable looks great and the instructions provided are high quality.
Outstanding service.

Thanks
Ray

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:50 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Do you still have any cable I can buy from you? Thanks..

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:02 pm 
Founder
Founder

Aurelien wrote:
Do you still have any cable I can buy from you? Thanks..

Check out the first post, he's still offering them and his contact email is listed. :wink:

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:26 pm 

It seems like the best cable is the one with the Keyboard and Mouse connectors. How has anyone installed it in their case?

I just want to make sure I purchase the correct cable.

Thanks.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:26 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

The "best" cable really boils down to what you are doing. Like the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.

The VGA cable is great for basic trouble shooting.
The VGA+PS2 cable is great for BIOS modding and debugging (or when you are working in an environment where a USB keyboard is problematic).
The VGA+PS2+Serial is great for kernel and driver debugging and for any project which necessitates a serial connection.

Hope this helps.
Charles

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:16 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

OK, I received my vga cable today. Nice workmanship. Hooked it up, no problem. Image is cristal clear.

Already changed the power management to "previous state" mode, and brought the video memory up to 128MB.

Thanks Cakalapati

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next