It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:03 am 

I am currently having a problem when trying to update files on the MSS. The first time I try an update it saves correctly, but if I save a second update the application hangs and eventually comes back with the following message “Your changes could not be saved to ‘name.xls’ because of a sharing violation. Try saving to a different file”. After acknowledging this message, the application hangs. This also appears to cause the loss of the connection to the server, and hangs any windows explorer sessions that I have running. I can however still ping the server successfully. The only way that it can be restored is by re-booting the server.
Additionally, accessing the console takes a long time, e.g. greater than a minute, and it can take a long time to bring up individual screens once in. This can cause my pc to become temporarily frozen.

Below are details of how I have configured my server, and problems I have encountered, in case any of this information helps.
• The server was purchased on Friday to replace a faulty Iomega network disk.
• It was configured for three computers using two different user accounts
• All software upgrades and virus protection tasks were successfully carried out.
• I briefly attempted to set up remote access, but was not successful. I will do this at a later date.
• I restored onto the server approximately 100Gb of data from a backup. This consisted of MP3 files, photos, video and personal files. These were restored to the appropriate shared or user folders.
• I have added and configured a second 500Gb hard disk
• Following this I switched on folder duplication.
• Even before I switched on duplication, I was getting a ‘duplication error’, stating that a file on a user folder had a name that was too long. I have not had an opportunity to fix this yet.
• The PC that I am having these problems on is running windows XP

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!