It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:04 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I have an EX470 modded with 2GB memory upgrade and a Gen3 Debug Board. Currently with only a single drive (2TB) installed on bottom tray (system). No external storage. System working normally for years until today.

After a normal shutdown, the system now refused to post / boot. As soon as power button is pushed, all drive lights (including system) turn and stay SOLID RED. For indicator lights, power light turns SOLID BLUE, network light turns SOLID BLUE, and health indicator turns and remains at SOLID PURPLE (BLUE/RED together) immediately. Health indicator NEVER blinks. Unable to force system to power down even when holding down power button for 5 sec. Must unplug power cord to shut down system.

Indicators do not change whether or not any drive is connected. When connected video out via Gen3 Debug Board, there is NO POST screen seen on boot. Unable to get into recovery mode since is no period of blinking health indicator light to initiate this mode with a paper clip. Tested 2GB RAM module OK in another system. No hard drive error when tested 2TB drive in another system.

Opened up server. Discovered that CMOS battery is COMPLETELY DEAD when checked using multimeter. Replaced CMOS battery with new CR2032. Reseated all components. Cleaned dust. Checked fans. Still exactly the same when boot.

My situation has some similarity to the following thread, but there are lots of differences in details:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13225

My questions are:

1. Is it possible that my BIOS became corrupted because the dead CMOS battery? After I replaced the battery, do I need to push any reset button on the motherboard to reset the CMOS via a hardware switch?

2. What is the next step, especially when I can't even see POST with video out on the Debug Board? Is my EX470 beyond repair?

3. As a last resort, if I buy another working EX470, can I just transplant my hard drive into it and it will work without any need to reset or reconfig the backup on each of the client machine?

PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:43 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I would first read the manual and check the troubleshoot section especially the test for health codes.
The colors of the led's are different from my ex490.
http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01276565.pdf
I replaced the battery on my ex490 and no intervention was required. since you only have one drive this gets tough to preserve data..
It could be the drive is completely full and one or more files are corrupted.
Meaning not the total freespace.
Remember there is a 20GB os partition as C: could be the error log is huge and filled the 20 GB.
But anything could have happened is possible.
It could be the backplane is not seated correctly now or the psu is bad.

If it were me I would first do the health check from the manual and read the code of the flashing led's to get a idea on what the server thinks the problem is.
Then pull the drives and set it aside.
Reboot the server and watch the leds to see if it tries to go into recovery mode for a second or two.
If no drive is present it will do it for just a moment or two before it fails..
If it does ,Then
Purchase a wd red 2tb drive install it on the bottom drive and try a reset that way.
If successful attempt to copy the original drive files to the server after connecting it to your pc.
Then you can look at adding the original os drive as a pool drive.
If it checks out okay.
If it still fails then you still have whatever data is still intact to copy from and you have a new drive to install in say another ex server and or NAS,etc.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Last edited by Ruben Rocha on Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:14 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Also as a option.
I am not trying to prey on your dilemma but I can sell you my:
EX-490
WHS v1
VGA/PS2 Keyboard/PS2 Mouse/Serial debug board
Q9450s CPU
Stock Ram
PSU and cmos battery replaced this year,
Four used 2TB wd red's
All three cd's

I will even run reset to the point of when it was out of the box for you.
Works fine

Just PM me if interested.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:45 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Ruben,

I followed your suggestion. However, using a paperclip to press the recessed button did not yield any diagnostic health light codes. All of the lights (both drive and health indicator lights) remained fixed.

I have a spare EX475 (not EX470). Can I simply swap out the drive from the broken EX470 and put it into EX475, will this work without any issue since the EX475 has the same hardware? Or will there be a problem because the drive is somehow locked to some identifiers unique to the original EX470 hardware?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:28 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have never tried it but in theory it should work if you move all the drives since each pool drive has a registration number in the os registry.
And since the only difference between the two is what drive or drives were shipped with it.
And since you only have one drive it becomes a moot point.
But if there is in fact something wrong with the drives it will present the same issue.

I would just be leery if it goes straight to recovery mode.
Because you may loose data if you run recovery with one drive that holds your os and data.

Maybe you have a spare drive to power up the 475 and test to make sure it works first?
It is a old unit and the bios battery may be dead as well.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:51 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

to1337ca wrote:
I have a spare EX475 (not EX470). Can I simply swap out the drive from the broken EX470 and put it into EX475, will this work without any issue since the EX475 has the same hardware? Or will there be a problem because the drive is somehow locked to some identifiers unique to the original EX470 hardware?
It should work, no problem. I'm not aware of any identifiers. That should be a good hardware test.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks