It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:06 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have an HP MediaSmartServer with WHS v1 and Windows Server 2003. I have iTunes installed with the superb iHomeServer for iTunes Pro.

For over a decade everything has been superb.

Today I used my Apple TV to watch a movie stored on my WHS but an error appeared that it needed to be downloaded!

I connected directly to WHS and discovered that I was signed out of iTunes, so I signed in again but iTunes reported a network error and to try again... except the network if perfect.

I ran iTunes diagnostics and it returned with:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/485 ... 0c6edb.jpg

When I click the Help button I get the message "iTunes help is unavailable because your computer isn't connected to the internet"!

The diagnostics returned...
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/485 ... 0c8f15.jpg

I have successfully logged into iTunes on other machines.

Any ideas why I can no longer log onto iTunes from Windows Server 2003? My iTunes is version 12.1.3.6

Thank you in advance for any help.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:16 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Apple introduced security changes in May of last year which stops older versions of iTunes from signing in to the store.

I'm not permitted to post links but if you Google it, you'll find Apple's statement.

What they neglected to mention in that statement, is that also means you can no longer use home sharing as that requires you to be signed in too.

I have had the same setup for years like you, it is most annoying, I don't want to have to have one of my main PCs on all the time just so that I can continue to home share. :evil: Options are either to upgrade WHS to 2011 or to other Windows Server versions (2012, 2016 or 2019) so you can install a recent version of iTunes. Or install a Linux server OS and run iTunes under Wine. None of which are an easy undertaking and you would lose features unique to WHS v1 like Drive Extender.

Or just do away with running iTunes on your WHS (which is what I have done, for now). I use the Infuse app on my apple tv (ATV4) to watch movies that I have ripped from my DVD/BD collection, ones I have purchased from iTunes, I stream from iCloud. All my iTunes music is now stored in iCloud too.

Stock Ram
HGST 1 x 2TB, 3 x 8TB

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:37 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Have have learned that the problem is because WHS v1 (WS2003) does not support TLS1.2, which is requirement for payments with iTunes. Seems this change happened some time ago but it was only in recent months that my system "caught up" with this change.

I will look into using the Infuse app on Apple TV instead.

Thank you.

Thanks