It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:08 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hello,

I'm new to the site and have done some searching, but not found anything that exactly addresses my issue. Basically, my EX485 does not go into the bios. I've connected the jumper. In fact, I've tried multiple jumper caps, but still do not have access to the bios. I've even removed the motherboard battery and put it back in. After that though, I don't even get the option to re-initialize windows or choose advanced boot options, which I got before. Would anyone have any ideas?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:42 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

When you say you "connected the jumper," what jumper are you talking about? Are you referring to the debug cable that gives you video (and optionally keyboard/mouse) capabilities?

I applied an EX495 BIOS to my EX487 (almost identical to the EX485) so that I could upgrade the processor, and I actually did that without the debug board. I added a debug board later; now my EX487, EX490 and EX495 all have debug boards attached.

If you don't have a debug board, you're basically shooting in the dark and I don't think any of us will be able to help you much. If you have the debug board, when you power on the server, you should see the AMIBIOS screen with information to press DEL to enter BIOS setup. Then you'll see it report the hard drives and SMART status, tell you how many USB devices were detected, etc. Are you not even seeing this?

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:42 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

"When you say you "connected the jumper," what jumper are you talking about? Are you referring to the debug cable that gives you video (and optionally keyboard/mouse) capabilities?"

The jumper highlighted at http://www.mediasmartserver.net/blog/wp ... jumper.jpg

I don't have the debug board that's found on this site, I just have the vga cable. I was under the impression that there should be no problems using a usb keyboard and mouse.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:05 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Does anyone have any ideas at all? I can get to the American Megatrends screen. Pressing delete got me to a screen taht would allow me to eventually choose how to start windows. I had taken out the motherboard battery and put it back in. Now, pressing delete does nothing. I've re-seated the jumper and still, pressing delete does nothing. Any clues?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:57 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Okay a usb keyboard and mouse should work.
But you need to connect the monitor to the server via the debug card to get a video output.
Plus the jumper shorting out across both pins.
I am not aware of any simple cable that works without the debug board.
Now that you pulled the battery you are required to get into bios, so you can load the defaults.

Also on the keyboard I think it needs to be in one of the rear usb ports.
One of them is powered on during boot.
The front ports are null during post.

I use a ps1 keyboard on the debug board So I never tried it.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:16 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi, thanks for replying. I'll reply to each item on your list

"Okay a usb keyboard and mouse should work."
that's what i read, but i decided to inquire about the vov debug board, just in case

"But you need to connect the monitor to the server via the debug card to get a video output."
there are lots of cables to be bought on ebay and such sites. i just got one that has only the video output, since i thought that's all i would need.

"Plus the jumper shorting out across both pins."
already did that. but just to make sure, it is only the jumper that is highlighted in the previous picture, right? no other jumpers i need to play with?

"I am not aware of any simple cable that works without the debug board."
there are a bunch. in fact, there was a diy guide on how to make your own. i didn't feel like making one.

"Now that you pulled the battery you are required to get into bios."
yeah. i got that idea from a post a while back. someone seemingly had a similar problem and that worked for him. seems i shot myself in the foot here.

"Also on the keyboard I think it needs to be in one of the rear usb ports."
yup. the front one came off with the door. i wonder if that changes anything

"One of them is powered on during boot."
i believe it should be the top one. however, i tried all three before and they all seemed to work.

anyway, i noticed that there are many more jumpers than the one that is highlighted, but haven't been able to find any info on them. i wonder if those do anything special. i don't want to give up on this just yet. it was a great deal at only 50 dollars, but not all that great if i can't get into the bios. at worst, i can put it back together and sell it since it does work exactly as originally inttended, but i really want to upgrade this machine. anything else i should try? i'm still searching the forums looking for info.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:25 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

It should be the one and only jumper that changes the server from headless to supporting a monitor.
are you using a true vga monitor or a adapter from say dvi to vga.
If so the adapter could be defective.
Or the vga cable??????

Front usb came off the door???
maybe it is shorted out????

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:38 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I'm not surprised your mouse and keyboard didn't work with those cheap ebay cables. In fact, one of the reasons why the Gen3 debug adapter exists is because people were having trouble getting into the BIOS with the EX-48X server. It's documented here.

The EX-48x series are a bit more picky than the EX-47x series servers. If you bought one of the cheap ebay cables, you may need some additional grounding and two pull up resistors to the keyboard and mouse data lines. It's documented in that previous link.

The VOV Gen3 and Gen4 debug adapters have these requirements and more.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:56 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi everyone,

First off, yes, I put the cap on the jumper indicated in the picture that I posted.

Second, I am using a VGA monitor to connect to the (non VOV) debug cable. no dvi to vga adaptor. In other words, I can see. Just I can't get into the bios. It is possible that the debug cable is faulty, which is why I sent an email to VOV to see if I can order a debug board. I don't believe it is a problem with the cable, however I do want to cover my bases.

Third, the front usb did not come off the door, it comes off with the door. I like to have it completely out of the way, so I disconnected the cable running to the front usb so I can remove the inner mesh door completely.

Fourth, the keyboard and mouse do work, I am able to choose options, just the option to get into the bios does not appear. As stated before, I am tryiing to get a VOV debug board to see if there is any difference.

Fifth, thank you for the link, in fact, thank you all very much for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the help. I will read the info there and continue to comb the site for more and will continue experimenting with this box. I will certainly let you know of any changes. If you think of anything else that may help, please let me know, I'll give it a go. Let's see what happens...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:16 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi Guys,

This topic may be closed. I've just received my cable from VOV and due to that, am now able to get to bios. Problem solved.

I'd also like to thank Charles for his excellent customer service. He was extremely helpful. Of course, you guys were great too. I look forward to getting this thing upgraded and working better.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:27 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

OK, I have the VGA/PS2 adapter and I have been in the BIOS before. But after many, many months I decided to reboot and go into the BIOS. However, I cannot get it to show the <DEL> as an option. It is as if the jumper was removed, but I have checked it and it is still there as it has been for years. I tried reseating the jumper and even tried another jumper on the motherboard. Nothing is working. Is my board now defective??? It still boots...

Thanks