It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Hoping for some help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:31 pm 

Hi all,

I have a HP MediaSmart Home Server, EX470. It has the original 500 GB system disk and two 1 TB disks added into it shortly after it was first setup.Everything else is stock. It ran for several years without any issues, and then went into storage when I moved 3 years ago. I pulled it out today to try and sell it, but it won't start up properly. Here's what's happened;

The first time I started it, the HDD lights were all red and the health light was blinking red. I used a paperclip to find the error code - memory failure.
I called HP and found out the server has been discontinued for several years. No support available. The tech's recommendation was to reseat the memory, but he wouldn't give me any help on getting into it - I don't blame him, call is recorded.
After much trial and error, I had the motherboard pulled out and reseated the memory. I then reassembled everything.

I am connected to the server via an Ethernet cable, from a laptop. I don't have the setup to be able to connect a monitor to the server directly.

Now:
On startup, the HDD lights stay red. This is true no matter whether there are all empty drive cages, no drive cages, just the 500GB system disk, a 1 TB drive in place of the system disk, and every other combination I can think of. I don't have any way to test the hard drives - my only SATA port is a 2.5" USB connection, and it won't spin up the 3.5" drives.
On startup, the power and network lights are blue.
The health light stays a constant, solid purple. It's solid blue with the red LED on as well. Pressing the Status button with a paperclip does nothing.
The only way to power off the server is by holding the power button 4+ seconds, or unplugging the power cable.

I've read what I could find that seemed relevant, and suspect that either the SMI or BIOS is corrupted. However, every method I've found relies on having SMI files already, or on being able to boot into Recovery Mode. The Server Recovery Disk searches without finding the server.

I hope somebody can help me with this. I would hate to give it up as bricked and toss it.

-Ken

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Hoping for some help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:55 pm 

Hi HPUSER2013 welcome to the forums,

First review the link below and see if that helps you out but if possible could you try to determine if the RAM is working properly or not or if you have a known working stick of DDR2 RAM that you can try out to see if it works or not.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13320

Good Luck!!!

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Hoping for some help
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:27 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Re-seat the memory on a unit that went into storage working just fine. I do not get that. :crazy:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks