It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:00 am 

I have an Ex475 that will not power up and have gone as far as I can on my own in trying to figure out what is wrong. If anyone could offer some advice I would appreciate it a great deal.

Two weeks ago we had a power outage so my MSS was powered off. It was plugged into a surge protector though. Now it will not turn on when the button on the back is pressed. I figured it was the power supply so I disassembled the server and tested the power supply. I expected it to be dead but it appears it is not. When I put a jumper between pins 1 and 2 on the Molex connector the fan starts. Then I tested the voltages on all the other pins and they match what they are supposed to. So I put the power supply and all the other components back into the case and tried it again. Still, the server does not power up. Interesting thing, the USB outlets on the server do have power.

So, am I correct in thinking that there is nothing wrong with the power supply? And the big question, what else could it be? Am I just dead in the water? Any options at all? I have so much data on the two hard drives!

Thank you!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:05 pm 
Founder
Founder

Sounds like it could be a hardware failure on the server, especially if the power supply checks out. If you had spare RAM/CPU you could test those. If you need to recover your data from the drives, this guide will help.
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-U ... 573697777f

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
BrentB, BrentB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:31 pm 

Thanks Alex. Looks like I will need to find an option for the future. Now that there are no more HP MSSs could you recommend something? Build my own? There are quite a few articles on-line about building your won WHS but is this a good way to go?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:55 pm 
Founder
Founder

You can find a replacement server for ~$150 on Ebay and just swap your disks directly into it, assuming the disks are still good.

I'm still running WHS v1 on my EX495, when it dies I'll likely go with my own home-built Linux server using RAID. You could build your own WHS 2011 server easily enough, people have listed their builds in that forum.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:56 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have been looking at one of these all week, just trying to decide:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6859107052
HP ProLiant N40L Ultra Micro Tower Server System AMD Turion II Neo N40L 1.5GHz 2-Core 2GB

They are on sale right now for under $300. Just an idea.
Sorry for your loss. :shock:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks