It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:59 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well with whs v1 we probably will never see support over 2tb
I m fine with v1 since I have a port multiplier
But anyway whatever you do make sure you have enough free space left, Then use the console to remove it before you yank the drive out

With a 3tb drive you could play games with partitions and say make a 2tb and 1 tb drive from the desktop
Then stick it in the server
I have never tried it but others have with success.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:10 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Ruben Rocha wrote:

With a 3tb drive you could play games with partitions and say make a 2tb and 1 tb drive from the desktop
Then stick it in the server, I have never tried it but others have with success.

What I have done up to now is connected the 3Tb drive to my desktop, and then moved the files from the server to the 3Tb drive. Now I have enough space to remove the drive. And I will have to purchase another drive to replace it the defective one. I hope that once I do that, the large system drive space will shrink.

So what you are saying is, if I partition the drive on my desktop into 2 drives, it will see them both when I connect it? Not one or the other partition?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:42 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

vanfilmguy wrote:
I currently have a 3Tb drive in an external enclosure, but it reboots my WHS when I connect and turn it on. I had it connected to the Esata port, I might try USB and see if that works.
Dave

Did you ever address the server reboot when eSATA was hooked up ? I just encountered that one this weekend on my EX470 with a Mediasonic dual bay eSATA enclosure. I'm curious if your hardware matches mine and it may just be a hardware incompatibility. I can try USB as well, but after enduring a server recovery rebuild last night, I'm not in a mood to waste too many hours on it just yet.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:33 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

WalkinTarget wrote:
vanfilmguy wrote:
I currently have a 3Tb drive in an external enclosure, but it reboots my WHS when I connect and turn it on. I had it connected to the Esata port, I might try USB and see if that works.
Dave

Did you ever address the server reboot when eSATA was hooked up ? I just encountered that one this weekend on my EX470 with a Mediasonic dual bay eSATA enclosure. I'm curious if your hardware matches mine and it may just be a hardware incompatibility. I can try USB as well, but after enduring a server recovery rebuild last night, I'm not in a mood to waste too many hours on it just yet.

Hi there,

I tried as suggested and partitioned the drive into a 2 and a 1tb drive, but when I connected it to the server, it rebooted again. This was the same when I connected to the USB port as well. I know it is not the drive enclosure, because it has worked with other smaller drives installed.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:15 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

vanfilmguy wrote:
I tried as suggested and partitioned the drive into a 2 and a 1tb drive, but when I connected it to the server, it rebooted again. This was the same when I connected to the USB port as well. I know it is not the drive enclosure, because it has worked with other smaller drives installed.

What enclosure if I may ask ?? I bought this one and I'm trying to determine if it is a hardware incompatibilty between the MSS EX470 and the eSATA box:
http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-Dual-Single-Enclosure-HUR1-SU3S2/dp/B004L637P4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=162UXRX7WM0V&coliid=ILQEGBZFXRMQ4

The same eSATA box works with no issues on my main rig, so I know it works, it just doesn't work on my MSS, so its worthless to me as it stands.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:32 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

WalkinTarget wrote:
vanfilmguy wrote:

What enclosure if I may ask ?? I bought this one and I'm trying to determine if it is a hardware incompatibilty between the MSS EX470 and the eSATA box:
http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-Dual-Single-Enclosure-HUR1-SU3S2/dp/B004L637P4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=162UXRX7WM0V&coliid=ILQEGBZFXRMQ4

The same eSATA box works with no issues on my main rig, so I know it works, it just doesn't work on my MSS, so its worthless to me as it stands.

Here is a link to my drive enclosure. http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/274 Like I said, the drive works fine on my MSS if I have say a 2tb drive, but reboots it with the 3tb. And it works with the 3tb drive on my Windows 7 box. So I can use it there. I had thoughts of upgradeing the OS on the MSS to a 64bit which should then work, and then I could also start replacing the internal drives with 3 or even 4tb drives in the future.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:52 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Interesting !! So I guess I need to try another HDD in my external box as a first test of this problem. I have my original MSS Seagate 500GB drive still around, so I till toss that in the eSATA box and test it this weekend.

My plan was to use the 3TB ext. HD as a duplication drive for my 5TB MSS. The 3TB was chosen due to its low price, and as a compromise to my intended plan to use a pair of 2TB drives. I know MSS doesn't support 3TB drives internally, but I assumed that they were OK to use in an eSATA enclosure.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:05 am 

Hi vanfilmguy,

I know its late in the thread but I did notice you have 2 Western Digital Green EARS Drives which are Advanced Format. These drives have to be prepared differently for Single Partition and Multi Partition use in order to work correctly in WHS. For single partition use you can simply jumper the drive but for multi partition use the drive has to be aligned or it will cause a number of issues.

So my question regarding the System Drive which is Physical Drive 0 did you align the drive using the Alignment software you can download from Western Digital? For Physical Drive 1 the storage pool drive in Bay 2 or 2nd from the bottom did you jumper it or run the Alignment software? Since its actually failing its not all that important.

There is a ton of info on the site regarding the use of Advanced Format Drives or AF Drives. Using the site search will find everything including a couple guides on working with them. If you also search EARS you will find posts from other forum members who have encountered issues with them. The early posts are from users who installed them without any preparation and they will start off working find but because they use much larger sector sizes then the older legacy drives issues begin to show up quickly.

I just wanted to bring this to your attention but if you are already aware of this then please disregard what I have written above.

Please update your current situation and lets see what if anything we can do to help.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:07 am 

WalkinTarget wrote:
Interesting !! So I guess I need to try another HDD in my external box as a first test of this problem. I have my original MSS Seagate 500GB drive still around, so I till toss that in the eSATA box and test it this weekend.

My plan was to use the 3TB ext. HD as a duplication drive for my 5TB MSS. The 3TB was chosen due to its low price, and as a compromise to my intended plan to use a pair of 2TB drives. I know MSS doesn't support 3TB drives internally, but I assumed that they were OK to use in an eSATA enclosure.

Did the 500GB Drive change your situation with your mediasonic enclosure eSATA connection to your server? Just curious..

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:46 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
Did the 500GB Drive change your situation with your mediasonic enclosure eSATA connection to your server? Just curious..

I'm curious as well, Comp !! I had a headache that I dealt with last night so I never got any time to deal with it. I have both the original Seagate 500GB HDD to use to test and a WD EARS 'Green' drive, so I know that there are issues with those Green drives in an MSS, so I will probably use the Seagate to test it just to eliminate any other possible issues.

If it turns out the 3TB drive is my problem, my overall plan to use it as a duplication drive is shot. Guess I have no recourse but to buy a 2TB and use that instead. Not sure how to use the 3TB at that point other than to pop it into my HTPC, which just GOT a 3TB HDD last month. This is one of those rare occasions where I feel the PC will have too much space for my liking (6TB of storage drives).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:39 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Wow ... it was in fact the 3TB drive. I popped in a Green WD 500GB and WHS detected it, formatted it and added it as a duplication drive named 'Archive'.

Not what I wanted overall, but at least my eSATA enclosure is in fact fine and I now have to find a home for the 3TB drive and grab a 2TB drive. Note that the 3TB works fine on another PC hooked up via eSATA, so it is clearly an issue with WHS not even booting up in my case with a 3TB external drive attached via eSATA.

Thanks go out to both vanfilmguy and Comp for their information and assistance with my problem.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:57 pm 

Not really sure what the cause and affect of the 3TB drive in the enclosure is. I wonder if you partition it so both partitions are below 2TB that it might work in the enclosure then your new 3TB drive would become useful to you. The only thing about doing this is if you move files to your server and WHS places the original and duplicated file on the partitions on the same drive then what do you do if it fails down the road. I suppose you could set one partition for the storage pool and the other as unmanaged for file storage that does not require any duplication.

I wish I could be of more help with the 3TB drive but I have yet to purchase one to play with.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:47 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
Hi vanfilmguy,

I know its late in the thread but I did notice you have 2 Western Digital Green EARS Drives which are Advanced Format. These drives have to be prepared differently for Single Partition and Multi Partition use in order to work correctly in WHS. For single partition use you can simply jumper the drive but for multi partition use the drive has to be aligned or it will cause a number of issues.

So my question regarding the System Drive which is Physical Drive 0 did you align the drive using the Alignment software you can download from Western Digital? For Physical Drive 1 the storage pool drive in Bay 2 or 2nd from the bottom did you jumper it or run the Alignment software? Since its actually failing its not all that important.

There is a ton of info on the site regarding the use of Advanced Format Drives or AF Drives. Using the site search will find everything including a couple guides on working with them. If you also search EARS you will find posts from other forum members who have encountered issues with them. The early posts are from users who installed them without any preparation and they will start off working find but because they use much larger sector sizes then the older legacy drives issues begin to show up quickly.

I just wanted to bring this to your attention but if you are already aware of this then please disregard what I have written above.

Please update your current situation and lets see what if anything we can do to help.

Hi Comp1962,

It was not my boot drive that was causing the issues, although it is a EARS drive as you said... so far no errors at all. I have, after much trouble, removed the defective drive also an EARS drive and have sent it off to WD, although they have had it over a week so far without sending my replacement. The drive I used to replace the defective drive was one of their new RED series drives... EFRX. Do I need to prepare it at all. I have not set any jumpers or did anything to the two 2Tb drives that I have. I also have a 1Tb drive, and a 1.5Tb drive filling my 4 bays. When I get my drive back from WD, I am going to swap it with my 1Tb drive. Should I be doing anything to it first?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:50 pm 

I am not certain what if anything you need to do with the new RED Drives. I took a quick look on WD's website figuring if it required alignment there would be software in the WD RED Downloads. The only thing I know about them is they are build for NAS operation. Not sure if the newer WD Drives require you to Align them or if they are making them so they are plug and play regardless of what OS they are installed in.

I recommend you give WD Customer Support a call to see what they say. Just let them know where your running the drive in and be sure to mention its in an older operating system or legacy system. I know I have an interest in them for my next server build.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks