It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:17 pm 

Two weeks ago I suffered a hard drive failure, and after meticulously salvaging the files, I performed a Factory Reset, then proceeded to return those files to the my EX475 by moving them from the drives into the server through the network (\\SERVER\Shares..). Previous times that I have done this, I went drive to drive, with no ill effects.

However...

Ever since then, my Videos share is losing files, I am getting File conflicts with the dreaded "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation".
Running WHScleanup.exe finds that for those files "The handle is invalid"

I ran the .cmd file that WHScleanup.exe created and replaced those files (Over 30GBs of Video), but 24 hours later, the console is telling me that it has lost track of more files.

Data points.

• EX475 Stock WHS fully updated
  • Bay 1: 1.5TB drive
    Bay 2: 1.5TB drive
    Bay 3 2TB drive
    Bay 4 2TB drive
    USB .5TB Drive (Stock drive)
    USB .5TB Drive (Stock drive)
    USB .4TB Drive (IDE Enclosure)
  • Files placed on server from drives connected to the server to Network Share not drive to drive
  • Folder Duplication Enabled
  • Console reports that all drives are healthy
  • Lost file error is invalid handle.
  • Not a one time event. More files lost after original lost files deleted and replaced.
  • XBMC recently ran through this folder to rebuild it's MySQL library (which was lost when I had to rebuild the server)

Can anybody shine a light on this? As it is mystifying me as to why only one subfolder is experiencing this issue.

I am of a mind to enable drive letters so that I can run a chkdsk to see if there is a dying drive, and to re-acquire the lost files.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:36 am 
Founder
Founder

Definitely try the Home Server SMART Add-In to check drive health. I would suspect that possibly the USB drives are dropping out of the pool and causing conflicts. I've not heard of systemic issues like you describe.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
terranaut
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:54 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Another item to consider is the power-save settings on the USB enclosures. I remember adding the first couple of Seagate 2 TB external drives to my EX490, and I would get the alert from WHS that a drive had failed and disappeared, and then it miraculously came back. I returned it to the store, thinking it was bad, and got a different one. Same problem.

It turns out that despite Windows' power setting set to never let drives sleep, the Seagates were still going to sleep, and for whatever reason, Windows was thinking the drives were dropping offline, rather than just taking a siesta. Once I downloaded SeaTools I was able to configure it, and then the second drive when I added it, to never sleep. I had to do this on an separate PC, because SeaTools wouldn't let me work with the drive unless it had a drive letter. In WHS v1, which I was running at the time, the drive had an NTFS mount point but not a letter.

I also had a bad USB 2.0 4-port hub that caused grief. It had a very touchy power cord and if you looked at it cross-eyed, it was enough to make the hub reset itself, and the server would think everything attached to it went AWOL. Needless to say I replaced the hub.

Home Server SMART will certainly report if a drive is reporting a failure condition. If you've got a drive announcing the end is nigh, you should certainly replace it and then see if the problems persist.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank msawyer91 for this post
terranaut
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:38 pm 

I did indeed install the SMART add-in, and it reports that both of the 1.5TB drives have bad sectors and are critical. That makes all 4 1.5TB Barracudas that I purchased with the EX475 are as good as dead (I lost the 1st two months back), with the 2 0.5TB drives which I placed in the enclosures still healthy.

Money is tight at the moment, And, one of the 1.5TB is the system drive, with the amount of free space in my server, I should be able to remove the other.

Thanks