It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:56 pm 

Hello everyone,

(BTW Sorry about my english)
After a lot, but a lot effort, I cant recovery my WHS. I have an EX470 MediaSmart Server with 2GB Crucial memory and just want to know if I must to do the post mortem certificate.

I got several (and many) historical problems with WHS v1, suddenly after install automatic update in last May 2011, I have many unexpecteds restarts on my Server, so I tried to do my "tradition" recover with my HP Recovery System v 1.1 but after many hours was unsuccesfully. I could recovered all information (with another PC) but I cant recovery my WHS Server. A long history but I got an USB enclosure with 4 Bays to substitute. I got my VOV to connect a monitor, keyboard and mouse in the process, so I can see all the messages...

I tried everything my imagination could, but maybe I enter to an infinite loop so almost need a therapist :) or maybe someone in this site could help me (I hope).

My actual situation is:
1) I have my original CPU and 1 seagate hard disk just for simplicity.
2) My internal SMI was recovery by a PM from you guys (THANKS a lot !!)
3) When I try to recover from my HP Recovery Disc v1.1 it never found my server.
4) After enter to recovery mode in the server (paper clip thing) my server stay with endless red/blue light.
5) I can boot from USB also with a BartPe, WIn7.

Can I recovery my WHS in a different way from Recovery Disc?
Will someone recommed install Ubuntu or something like that instead WHS on my EX470?
Is will be better recover from v3.0?

Thanks in advance !

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:04 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

When I was having connection issues (connection constantly being dropped) HP tech told me to do a server recovery. My first attempt failed and when I called back they told me to

1. Do not attempt the recovery wirelessly from the client PC
2. Copy the recovery DVD to the desktop and run it from the desktop of the client rather than from the DVD.
3. Directly connect the client to the server rather than run it through a network router or switch.

I was not doing it wirelessly and I tried #2 and it worked. I never had to do #3.

Have you checked the health of your system drive? I was having similar problems and when I checked it with Seatools it failed. So you may have a bad system drive.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:49 pm 

Hello newbie,

I tried all 3 steps that you mentioned. I downloaded Seatools and my HD passed all tests. I reformat it and try again and get this message:

(After press paper clip, load drivers and when try to found a HD to install i get this)

-----------------------------
PHYSICAL DRIVE 0 is too small in size to be primary volume.
Next i received 253 messages from hdd isnt available (is normal)
No primary Disk Found
D:\is not a good match because it is on PhysicalDisk 0 and not -1 GetDiskFreeSpaceW failed for volume \\?\Volume{218ca5c6-748a-11e1-93ce-806e6f6e693}\,error 1005
GetVolumeINformationW failed for volume \\?\Volume{218ca5c6-748a-11e1-93ce-806e6f6e693}\,error 1005
FSCTL_ALLOW_EXTENDED_DASD_IO failed, error 87
E:\ DeviceIOCOntrol IOCTL?STORAGE?GET?DEVICE?NUMBER failed for volume \\?\Volume{d9b257fc-684e-4dcb-ab79-03cfa2f6b750}\, error 1005
-----------------------------

Sinceraly, I dont know what to do, I can see perfect the hard disk in my Windows 7 PC but I cant install WHS on this.

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:34 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I would suggest calling HP tech support. They are actually very good and patient in walking you through fixes. Maybe they have heard about this problem before.

Good luck!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:58 pm 

Thanks alsal,

My product is not in warranty so I dont know if HP want to heard my case :)

I try to install another OS, but is harder than I expected. I dont know why but when I ran EasyBCD tools i saw winload from \windows\system32\boot\winloader.exe (attach file wuith image) and I dont have this file on my system drive or my SMI USB, maybe this is the problem, but I dont know how could I fix this thing.

I understand about this situation generate my problem with try to restore WHS but I dont understand how could affect when I try to install another OS or simple load another from USB.

I read about DNS problem, I will try with other router ... may the force be with me :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:27 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Your unit being out of warranty has no impact on using tech support. My unit's warranty has long since expired and HP tech support has been more than willing to help every time I have called (as recently as this past Sunday!). They are available 24/7 so I would give it a chance before just trying solutions that may make matters worse!

Good luck!!!

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank alsal for this post
betobens
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:52 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Dumb question, but is your HD in the very bottom slot?

When you do a server restore (not recovery) try not formatting the drive. simply remove all partitions and try again with a 100% blank, new, unformatted drive.

How large is the seagate drive you are using?

I don't run WHS V1 anymore on my HP ex487 but when I did, server recovery/restores were a HUGE pain. I swear it would take 10 attempts to get it just right so it would proceed. Not that 2011 is any better I guess.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank jeffla for this post
betobens
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:39 pm 

jeffla wrote:
Dumb question, but is your HD in the very bottom slot?

YES

When you do a server restore (not recovery) try not formatting the drive. simply remove all partitions and try again with a 100% blank, new, unformatted drive.

I did it but doesn't have success.

How large is the seagate drive you are using?

500GB, but I tried with 1TB and less than 500GB

I don't run WHS V1 anymore on my HP ex487 but when I did, server recovery/restores were a HUGE pain. I swear it would take 10 attempts to get it just right so it would proceed. Not that 2011 is any better I guess.

I'm agree with you, is a really really HUGE pain.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:08 pm 

After all my process to try restore my WHS v1 in my EX 470, i got my first big failure in my tech career (almost 20 years) i stop my research.

1) After more than 10 times to restore my WHS v1 unsuccesfully I tried to change my OS. Because HP MediaSmart Server left with no service by HP, and they did not shipped anymore v3.0 of their SW.
2) I tried with several flavors of windows (Win7, Win Server2003) but i dont have any success, maybe I dont understand how it works the boot procedure in the server, but I could not.
3) I tried with FreeNas but my little expertise with Linux made that did'nt it happen.
4) Finally I try with Amahi and I get a little surprise. Finally I can boot again with my server :cheers: , but after the third reboot simply i can´t boot again. My EX470 was officially death. Even i can see any text on my screen, just stay in purple about 20 o 30 seconds and turn off the server.I read about this situation and maybe was SMI USB was formatted in GPT or something like that and the BIOS needs FAT but simply I cant boot again. The server was oficially become a BRICK. The most sadly was I oficially finished the work and closed my server first time since 1 year ago !! ... and simply it never boot again :cry: . I cant believe it.

I'm a fan of HP, and I buy all my laps and desktops from these guys, but this MediaSmart had a bad design, I dont understand why put an Internal SMI USB to recovery or validate BIOS, for me was a bad decision, because was "hardcode" the boot procedure.

If anybody know how to unbrick or knew about a motherboard where I can I transfer the CPU (AMD 1640LE or original), memory and sata controller, I appreciate this information.

Thank for your help guys.

P.D. I'm very frustrated ](*,)

Thanks