It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:48 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I am getting the following Critical Status: Backup Service is not running.

I have an HP E470 SmartMedia Server running Windows Home Server SP2. I've had the unit for a number of years now...around 4 years or so and I've never had a problem with it.

I have the following harddrives installed:
2 ea 500GB-internal
2 ea 750GB-internal
2 ea 250GB-usb

All updates have been installed.
Rebooting the server did not solve the problem.
I have unmounted (Removed) each of the hard drives excect the primary and the problem is not resolved.
Following Microsoft's Support website, I performed a chkdsk /r/f on all of the drives and there were no issues.

When I went to Settings/Backup on the Console the following message was displayed:
"The Windows Home Server Computer Backup service is not running. This is preventing access to backup settings. Please restart Windows Home Server. If the problem persists contact Product Support."
When I pressed the Repair button, I would be disconnected from the Windows Home Server Console. No repair action took place.

I tried to manually start the backup service by remoting into the server and going to Services. It would not start.
When I go to the HomeServer Event Viewer, I see the following error:
Client Backup server failed at d:\qhsv1_rtm_qfe\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp(145)
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
No result is found at the Events and Errors Message Center.

Under Server Storage the Status for all harddrives is Healthy

I performed a recovery using the Recovery disk but it did not resolve the problem.
Under Computers & Backup - all computers are greyed out.
Under Settings/Backup, I get the same message as before but the Repair button is no longer visible.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated

papparuff :cry:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:32 pm 

Same thing is happening to me since December 8, 2011. All backups have failed except on my two XP Pro machines (others are Win 7). Updates installed and server rebooted.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:36 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Update: I removed each of the harddrives from the server. Four of them are Seagate harddrives and two of them are Western Digital. I tested all four of the Seagate harddrives with the SeaTools for Windows and all passed the tests without a failure. I tested the two Western Digital harddrives with the Western Didigal Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows tool and they too tested OK with no failures. Does anyone have any idea how I may resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:44 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Try installing the Home Server SMART add-in, available here: http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/Freebi ... SMART.aspx. This can help identify drive problems that exist even though the manufacturer tools tell you the drive is fine.

Most manufacturer tools will only report a failure when a drive has actually reached a "fail" state. The SMART specification for hard disks specifies that when a SMART normalized value falls low enough that it becomes less than or equal to its nonzero threshold, a condition known as Threshold Exceeds Condition (TEC) exists. According to the SMART specification, when TEC exists, total drive failure can occur within 24 hours.

Oftentimes, HDDs don't outright die, but rather start to slide down the slippery slope. Bad sectors develop, spin retries occur suggesting motor failure, etc. Home Server SMART can help identify these issues, even though the disk may not have actually reached TEC state. The point of Home Server SMART is to help you identify those problems BEFORE you get to TEC! For many folks, by the time the disk reaches TEC, the gig is up and the data is history.

Let us know what the add-in reports.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:39 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

After installing the Add-In recommended, it found that my system HD was failing. I purchased a new 500GB hd to replace it. When I try to perform a factory reset with the new hd installed, I get the Server Not Found message. I also find that when I press the reset button after the status light is flashing blue and red, the status light will flash purple and red for nine times, then turn solid red. For some reason it is exiting recovery mode. Any thoughts?
:roll:

Thanks