It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:48 am 

My Mediasmart LX195 has been running for about a year and a half with no major issues. I noticed that it was turned off and so I restarted it. The next day, the same thing. I finally noticed that the red warning light was on. I tried logging into the server via the webbrowser and it said it couldn't find the server. Shortly after, the connector button said there was a database problem and to click the connector button to run a wizard. When I did, the webbrowser came up and there was no wizard to run. When I would try logging on, the same thing would happen. Since the red light was solid, the manual said it was an o/s error, so I decided to do a recovery. I did the light recovery first (can't remember the exact title) with no change to the condition. I then did a factory reset. I had a similar result, but after rebooting the server, I was able to go through the set up where it said it would be configuring for a while. Then it came up and said it would update and I let it. It was running for more than an hour with the updates when I went to bed. This morning, I came down and it said the install failed again and the solid red light was showing on the server. I took the server apart and the hard drive was very hot. I am thinking it is a harddrive failure, but wondered if anyone has ideas on how I should troubleshoot it.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:30 pm 

Hi davidhaining ~ Welcome to the Forums!

With the hard drive out of the server you try connecting it to another computer and see if the drive is accessible. Best way to actually connect the drive is externally in a docking station, USB Cable connection or external enclosure. While you could connect it internally in the computer itself, if the hard drive is say locked up you may run into booting issues with your computer so external connection in my opinion is the best way to approach the issue.

You mention the drive being very hot and its possible the drive could be locked up or is having issues with initialization. If the drive is not accessable then your best bet is to simply replace the drive but if you have a spare drive 80gb or larger you could intall it in your LX195 and test the recovery to make certain the server is in good working or then replace the drive with a drive of your choice. Of course if you have a much larger drive available and just want to perform a Factory Recovery thats fine too. If you do happen to have external drives connected to the server then you will want to perform a Server Recovery to preserve the data and if your just testing the recovery process then you will want to disconnect the external drives so they are not formatted if you chose a Factory Recovery for testing.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:55 pm 

Thanks.....I already pulled the drive and am in the middle of a disc check on it through a usb enclosure. So far, there hasn't been any errors. I may try a different drive to rule out the unit itself. Thanks again.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:54 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I had lots of grief due to a intermittent bad connection between MB and SATA cable. Seems like a poor design to me. See my other threads for more details. Your drive might be fine.

Thanks