It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:37 pm 

At my wit's end on this :(

About 3 weeks ago I started getting timeout errors whenever I tried to access my server from my HTPC... It would sometimes show up in the network listing, but it almost never would allow me to connect (it would just timeout)... A few times it would allow me to connect and I could browse for a bit, but it was always short-lived and would timeout before I could do anything significant to diagnose or copy files.

At this point I am accessing it from a fresh laptop, directly -- not through the DSL or router. After 3 attempts I was able to do a reset of the server software (not the complete data wipe, just reinstalling the server config stuff with the Rescue CD). The first 2 attempts both got a good ways through installation, then timed out trying to access the server.

The 3rd try it was able to complete... then it needed to install Windows Home Connector... again it would get a bit into installation then have an error trying to communicate with the server.

So basically I've got a server that can be seen, but if it can make a connection it is a very short-lived one. The 3 diagnostic icons on the front of the server all report no problems.

Can ANYONE point me in the right direction for what to try next? I'd really like to not lose the data on the drive.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:24 pm 

Hey silence welcome to the forums and sorry to hear your experiencing connectivity issues. Could you kindly post the make and model of your server and also the make and model of your DSL Router. This will help myself and others better able to assist you with your connectivity issue.

When you are experiencing connectivity issues can you look at the LAN Connection on the server and tell me what the LED's on the NIC are displaying both in color and if solid or blinking. Also if you can logon to your router and check the DHCP listing to see if your server is showing up. If you know the IP number you can also try PINGING the server.

Is your server connected directly to the router or to a switch elsewhere on the network downstream from the router? Have you tried changing the port connection from the server to the port its connected to, or tried swapping out the network cable. Sometimes the simplest of things can cause issues.

The last thing is do you have any other intermittent connectivity issues with other devices on your network that are not related to server connectivity?

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:55 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Router/Cable/Switch/Nic

ping serverip -t or ping servername -t let it run for a min. and see if you get any drops.

How long had everything been working OK? or is this a new setup that has not been working from the start?

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:41 pm 

EX470

DSL ROuter is WRT310N Linksys

All LED's seem to be displaying as normal, and my actual internet connection through the router (both wired and wireless) is fine.

Server was originally conneted directly to the router when it was working and also when it stopped working. I reset the router to factory settings, but that didn't fix the issue.

I've since attempted a server recovery mode and connected the server directly into the computer - but as pointed out it has trouble getting through the recovery without failing, and if/when it finally does the Windows Home Connector times out trying to talk to it.

How do I find out the IP of my server so that I can ping it?

Everything had been working fine with it, then one day I just started getting these connection issues.

Thanks for you two's assistance -- it is much appreciated.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:07 pm 

The easiest way to always identify the server is to know its MAC Address which is printed on the end of the motherboard. Now no one wants to rip their server apart to write that down so an easier way to get it would be to power the server down, back out the system drive then turn it on. Watch the health light and when it blinks purple/red then logon to your router and check the DHCP listing and look for the device starting with the name MININT and there you should be able to see the MAC numbers which never change unlike the IP until its set to be static with by the router or the server itself but its easier to just have the router reserve the IP number for the server then the IP number will be static.

After you get the info your looking for then tap the power button to shut it down, insert the system drive and your back to where you were before.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:43 pm 

Thanks for all of your help everyone -- turns out that the hard drive was failing. It may have not been the reason why the server started having connection issues, but definitely the reason I was unable to get the server reinstalled. I've since replaced the drive (it was still under warranty) and I've got Windows Home Connector and everything back up and running, seemingly at 100%.

Got my data copied over -- lost some of it to bad sectors, but nothing that can't be replaced.

Again -- appreciate you guys taking your time with me!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:48 pm 

Glad to hear your got your server up and running \:D/ I know first hand the joy of seeing it come back alive and the stress it can cause when its not functioning properly.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks