It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:23 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

VieuxJules wrote:
OK, so I was naive to think the Mac OS.X Lion backup issue could be resolved with Server 2012 Essentials, but it is not. It behaves the same as in WHS2011, click on "Backup" (LaunchPad) and "Time capsule" appears with no way to connect to the server. Hope they'll find a workaroud.

The work around is for MS to once again not only support Apple File Protocol (AFP) but support the newer, more secure version that Apple now requires.

I'm not holding my breath. Nor am I holding my breath that the Mac addin for WHS 2011 will be updated :evil:

FreeNAS running in a VM is your best bet for your Mac's. Virtualbox works surprisingly well. If I didn't also benefit from having Windows running on my home server for HomeSeer and some other Windows applications I would probably just switch the entire box over to FreeNAS at this point :(

While it won' recover your whole machine like TimeMachine, CrashPlan+ will backup to a network share. I backup with TimeMachine to a different network disk, as well as keep copies of my critical files on my WHS via CrashPlan+. The free version works fine - no need to subscribe, but it is a reasonably priced off-site backup solution (backblaze is what I use on my desktop Mac for offsite backup since it's unlimited and will also backup external drives unlike Carbonite and others)

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank EricE for this post
VieuxJules

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:18 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Ok installed WSE 2012 and have my user set up. I cant get anywhere access set up with my TZO domain address can anyone help?

VieuxJules - did you get the MSS lights to work? My drive light just blinks....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:24 pm 

I have a custom domain with TZO and I just set it up in my router but not all routers will have the DNS options for TZO. You will need the KEY from TZO to make it work. Now I also use the free sub domains on my servers from Microsoft to get Remote Access or Remote Web Access to fire up. I am still using the landing page on my primary WHSv1 server to direct those who use my servers and they only have to remember my custom domain name to get there.

If your using the HP and TZO subdomain then I am not sure how you can get that to work like it did on the HP MSS as the options provided for remote web access are very limited in both WHS2011 and WS2012 and so you might just bit the bullet and get a free domain from Microsoft.

With the way I have my network configured I have been able to access WHSv1 OEM, WHS2011 and WS2012E Servers with manipulation of internal to external port forwarding manipulating port 443 but with the HP MSS v3.0 this is a nightmare because the HP Webpages like 443 exclusively so if your still running an HP MSS with the HP Software its the one area I gave up on because I was not fully using it to begin with and was more interesting in my primary server access.

I can also tell you getting all this stuff to work is getting more and more tricky these days and I have only been able to get my setup to work on a couple routers and I have tried it with many so its not as easy as it sounds.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:22 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

not as Ideal as I would have hoped....

when I installed I did notice this in the device manager

Attachments:
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 4.4 MiB | Viewed 23440 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:38 am 

While I am not 100% certain I believe that has to do with the eSATA port on the EX47x. I am planning on a Factory Recovery on an EX470 today and I will confirm what that is when I am done.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:06 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Ex495

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:41 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

So installed SiliconImage 3531 Port Multiplier Chipset its the win7 version but seems to have cleared up my splat.

The issue I have now is drives appearing and disappearing. I tried playing with Storage places and a drive disappeared. Im not sure how I got it back. I then tried Drive bender and wasn't prepared for so many questions to start up I needed to remove a partition on a drive and when I deleted the pool neither drive now show up.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:25 am 

Check Computer Management and then look at the Disk Manager to see if the drives are there. You may not be seeing them because of a drive letter assignment so give the drives a drive letter and they should show up. I suspect but am not really sure but I suspect that Storage Spaces and Drive Bender may use mount points when they create their pools so that all you would see is the pool. Now I do not use Storage Spaces or Drive Bender. I do use Stablebit Drive Pool which is in Beta for WS2012E and its working well but its always risky to commit the control of your data to a beta however the folks over at Covecube who develop Stablebit Drive Pool and other software have a very good track record and I have full confidence with their software development. I have Stablebit Controlling 21 Storage Pool Drives at this time.

One thing I would recommend is to keep track of your drive locations. I number my bays and I name the drive with the Bay number then I have a listing of the drive make, model and serial number. Because the Physical Drive Number may change as you add drives in your enclosure or if you use an external enclosure or if you mix drives up between controllers its not worth tracking the Physical Drive Numbers but the drive name helps out a lot should a drive go missing or have an issue. I have only had to remove 1 drive from highlander because it was having issues and I was able to identify the drive drive quickly and remove it from the storage pool by the drive name which included the drive location. Both Stablebit Drive Pool an HHS2013 provide the drive name so its helpful. HSS2013 shows this information in the Right Window for Physical Drive Information at the bottom of the listing.

Hopefully its something simple like assigning a drive letter otherwise the drive has a mount point and is attached to another drive or folder to make the other drive or folder look bigger then it actually is which is ok as its just another way to use the drives.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:26 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

T-Bone wrote:
Ok installed WSE 2012 and have my user set up. I cant get anywhere access set up with my TZO domain address can anyone help?

VieuxJules - did you get the MSS lights to work? My drive light just blinks....

T-Bone, my drives' lights are off - only the Health light blinks. It doesn't bother me any more, it's just a little less cute than in the era of whs v1.

I also had the TZO domain, but since I couldnot fix it, I went for Microsoft free domain, as Comp1962 suggested.

On another topic, I would stay away from a beta software and stick with DriveSpace. there's a Learning curve, but one should keep it simple.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:10 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Quote:
On another topic, I would stay away from a beta software and stick with DriveSpace. there's a Learning curve, but one should keep it simple.

Sorry, I meant StorageSpaces.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:42 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

You can administrate the certificate infrastructure with the certserv mmc. If you type "certserv" in the start menus search box the tool will open. Around this core tool there are other programs that utilize this infrastructure, like the IIS.

To create the self signed domain certificate you will need the IIS-Manager:
1. Open the Internetinformationservices (IIS)-Manager.
2. Select your server
3. From the start page select "Servercertificates"
4. In actions select "Create domaincertificate"
5. In the first field (CN) enter your (dyndns) domain.
6. Save the certificate with a reasonable name

Now we have a self signed domain certificate which is trusted by our server. Our server trusts this certificate, but no one else in the world.

7. Now export the certificate to make it available to the anywhereaccess wizard. Select it in the "servercertificates" list and click "Export..." in the action bar. Don't use an empty password, when exporting it. The wizard will not accept that.

If you have a valid (dyndns) domain, you now have everything you need for anywhereaccess wizard.

This worked for me to get anywhereaccess. I tried it off network a few times on my cell and it worked nicely.

This info came from myberg in his post.

VieuxJules I thought you had reservations about storage spaces? it doesn't seem like a lot of people here care for it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:15 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

T-Bone wrote:
VieuxJules I thought you had reservations about storage spaces? it doesn't seem like a lot of people here care for it.

I did have reservations and still have, 'till a revision from MS. This is why I tried to explain somewhere my conservative approach to SS, since I think it is a more solid build than was DE. The conservative approach is to create simple pools that are not more than 1 disk (for a single Space with Simple resilience), or 2 disk of the same size (for a single Space with 2-way Mirror resilience), or 3 disks of the same size (for a single Space with Parity resilience). Therefore you create as many pools as you have those disks' combinations. Why? Because the problems that were reported seemed to appear mostly when one creates a big Pool of many disks (jbod) with data spread over many Spaces (with different resilience methods), it is even more problematic when these disks are not of the same size. Therefore if you have many smaller pools with one Space in each (the conservative approach), and an error appears on one disk, then the error affects only that Space and that Pool, but not the other pools; if, on the other hand, an error appears on a disk which is part of a big Pool with many Spaces, all data on this large Pool is affected, regardless of the number of Spaces over it.

Now, I hope MS will implement a kind of rebalancing feature in a future release of Storage Spaces, so we can use different size disks in our pools. But it's not bad they started on the safe side. I will, nevertheless, blame MS to not have published a guide how to use SS (they should of asked me 8) ). Since we, big heads, were familiar with DE, we tried to reproduce the same confortable structure we were used to :-k , an official guide would have prevented us from doing this, and prevented MS from so much critics.

I'm not sure all my explanations are clear, but, what do I know...?

vj

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:12 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

install server essential into my mediasmart
windows update find updates, but it won't download anything? weird
did that happen to you guys?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:24 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

It didn't happen to me! But it is a EX470. Just like that, have you checked "Device Manager" to see if all your devices are installed with their correct drivers? On the EX470 I had to find a driver for my eSata multiplier which did not install.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:42 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I know this post is old but installing Windows Updates on a Server 2012 Essentials installation the first time is screwed up. It will be at 0% downloaded for a long time, uncheck all downloads but one, let it go - it will still take forever to start downloading (I checked on the box the next day and found that it eventually did download it). From then on it updates normally - some people said its faster if you activate first, but I didnt have the key ready at that time.

Windows 2012 R2 Essentials didn't have that problem for me.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next