It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:09 pm 

Hi There,

Im currently running an Aspire easyStore H340 with 4 1TB drives. It's recently started developing hardware problems, which I think might be down to a goosed motherboard.

I'm considering building my own WHS, and am hoping to use the existing drives in the new build. I don't currently have anywhere to store the files currently on the drives, if I did a fresh install of WHS for the new machine, would I be able to 'recover' or access the existing files on the new server?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:27 pm 

Hi fil welcome to the forums!!!

You can install all your current drives into a new machine and perform a recovery where you actually preserve your data. Its been quite sometime since I have done this but what I can tell you is the wording during the process can be somewhat misleading so take great care to read what everything carefully.

If your looking to go from WHS v1 to WHS2011 or other Windows Server software then its an all together different situation. You can connect your current storage pool drives to another computer and access your data by setting it to be able to view hidden files and folders. Then you will see the hidden folder DE and in that folder you will find you files.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:20 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi,
Does this mean I can take my old drives out of my dead ex490 apart from the system drive and put them into a whs 2011 build machine and recover them?
Does it have to be a whs version 1, I only have my ex490 software discs for that version. I am toying with the idea of a new machine n40l proliant server with whs 2011 This would mean I could leave my dead machine alone.
Thanks,

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:47 pm 

To perform a server recovery you must use the same version of WHS. So if your running WHS v1 which shipped with the EX490 then you need WHS v1 OEM in the new server. You can not use WHS2011 to recover or upgrade WHS v1.

However once you setup the new server you can install your old storage pool drives and pull the data off them and move the files to their new locations. WHS2011 is a different animal as it does not have DE as WHS v1 had so file and folder duplication would need to be handled either by setting up RAID or by installing a 3rd party DE Solution like Stablebit Drive Poor of Drive Bender.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks