It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:42 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I will go into new server build in another post, I promise because this has been a great learning experience.

In short, I have a new Fujitsu Server http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6859115020 running ESXi 5 on a USB Drive. I'm running WHS 2011 in a VM with 4GB RAM allocated to it. Raid is Hardware Raid 5 on 4 2TB drives via a Dell Perc 5 Card.

Now, server backup: I successfully linked up a 1TB USB Fantom External Drive to the WHS 2011 VM. This same drive was attached to my HP MSS 470. The similarities end there. The backup times are terrible, and I'm sure this is due to the fact that the 2011 box is a VM and not bare metal. Right now, I can backup the 2011 OS and all of our documents, but I cannot tackle any media. So, I'm doing the C drive and the D drive. When I add media (Pictures, Music and home videos - 400GB), the backups go to 24 to 36 hours and I abandon them. The good thing about where I am now, is that once the full backup is done, it just goes incremental and the incrementals are under 10 minutes.

So, it seems like I need to switch to a possible network backup rather than attached storage backup.

This begs the second question. What would I use for a network backup device to backup 2011? Should I do a clean install of WHS 1 on my now retired MSS? Or should I put 2011 on it (It has a upgraded CPU and 2GB or Ram)? It seems silly to be thinking about a whole other server to backup the new server. But the attached storage route to a VM doesn't seem to be a viable solution, unless I bite the bullet and let it run for a week.

Thoughts?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:19 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Here's what I'm currently doing. The external Fantom Drive has an eSata port as well as a USB port. So I wiped it clean. Took an eSata Bracket out of a workstation and put it in the ESX server. I then hooked up the Fantom to the server via eSata rather than USB. ESXi found the drive and I added it as a Data Store Volume.

I then added a virtual hard drive to the WHS VM choosing the external eSata data store. I then added the drive to the WHS Server and configured a new small backup. I'm 95% done a brand new full backup of OS and user docs and it's been less than an hour. This is a great improvement. I'll add music, pics and videos, but I'll leave out TV and Movies. We'll see if I can get that going as well.

Pretty neat stuff, but I'll withhold a victory dance just yet.

Thanks