It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: New build, low budget...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:39 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I recently discovered that the port multiplier on my EX490 was bad. I've been wanting to upgrade to WHS 2011 for a while, and this gives me the opportunity to do so. So here's what I came up with, given the paltry budget ($500) my wife has imposed:

Silverstone TJ08B-E Case
Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Mobo
Intel Core i3-2120
Cooler Master RS500-PCARD3-US PSU
Corsair XMS3 4 GB 1333MHz RAM

Total cost, shipped to my door: $410

Am I forgetting something? I keep thinking I must be forgetting something... I have a system drive for it already. I wanted to keep it in a small form factor, but still be able to hold 4 internal drives. I do have a Media Center PC in the living room and I sync RecordedTV to the WHS. I also serve all my ripped DVDs/Blu-Rays and music from the WHS throughout the house. So I wanted to give this enough power to get a little more than the basics done.

I'll have to read up on the current drive pool replacement options, but does anyone have any recommendations? Is anything stable enough to trust? Opinions on the build?

Thanks!

Ed

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:27 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

You will need the WHS 2011 software at $50-$60. There is some good advice that I got concerning motherboards at this posting.http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11324

Do you have a DVD player you can use to install the operating system with? If not I think you can use a jumpdrive but that is past my skill level.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:30 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Forgot to mention, I have a good friend who works for MS. He's getting me a copy of WHS 2011. Should have it by Friday. I do have a Blu-Ray/DVD drive that I will put in the 5.25" slot. Good advice on the motherboard, I'll have to think about if I want to switch to an Intel mobo...

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks