It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:00 pm 

Hey guys-
I am building a WHS 2011 box for backing up our client PCs, as well as eventually serving media files for my HTPC (I'll build the HTPC later in the future). Can you guys check my specs and make sure I'm not overlooking anything before I purchase?
Thanks!

Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power ... $47.99

Rosewill R101-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ASUS E35M1-M PRO Fusion AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD Hudson M1 Micro ATX Motherboard/CPU Combo

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7S-4GBRL

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Seagate Barracuda ST3160316AS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 64-bit OEM System Builder - OEM

COOLER MASTER R4-L2S-122B-GP 120mm 4 Blue LED Case Fan 2 in 1 pack

All total it should be about $487.92. What do you guys think?

Last edited by yakuza on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed links

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:38 am 

Hieyal8r welcome to the forums!

I just built a unit for my son with uses the E-350 APU for my son which I felt ran quite well. He is very happy with it. The one thing about the board you chose is its a passive cooling board so good airflow is a must. If it were me I would prefer a fan on the CPU or in this case APU Heatsink just to ensure the processor stays cool but its a personal prefrence. I can tell you that on occasion my sons CPU would briefly hit high CPU utilization just running Win7 Home Premium but it was very brief. I didn't have the unit here very long to actually study the performance but my son says the unit is fast.

Hard Drives are a personal prefrence but I would look very closely at each drive you have selected to see what others have to say about them looking for reviews by people who have had them running for quite sometime.

The 4 GB of RAM should do the trick. I have 2 WHS2011 servers one with 4 GB the other with 8 GB of RAM and it only uses about 2 GB on average so you should be ok with the 4GB and your motherboard does support upto 8 GB so you have room to expand if needed.

The enclosure is another personal prefrence. Some have reported issues with airflow which it appears your looking to replace the case fans probably to improve this issue. Also some have reported that the 3.5" Drives stick out about 1" from the cages causing interfearance with larger expansion cards which may or may not be an issue now but down the road could be. I do like smaller enclosures but they can be a challenge at times but what is an issue for one is not for another. I do see you did spec out an ATX PSU which the enclosure requires as an mATX PSU has been reported not to fit properly. It looks like your already aware of the enclosure limitations and working around it.

Good Luck with your build and I hope you share your experience with it.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:58 am 

Thanks for the info. I just looked at that MOBO again- it comes with a heatsink/fan. Would that be good enough? Maybe I'll up my case a little bit to give slightly more cooling and room for future expansion. I'll also re-look at the reviews of the HDD's...

Thanks again!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:18 pm 

I do not mean to imply the motherboard is not worth purchasing just mentioning a personal prefrence. The link you posted displays just a heatsink and no fan. It is a massive heatsink but definatly a passive cooling setup which will require good airflow. Now the APU on the motherboard should not run hot but its a very important part of the board so for me it would be important to have good cooling.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks