It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Hardware Question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:21 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Is it possible just to simply purchase a desktop computer to use as a server? Just wipe the hard drive of the machine and install WHS on it?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Hardware Question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:04 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Yes.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:00 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

RehabMan wrote:
Yes.

Thanks.

Next question. Anyone made a home server using a solid state hard drive? I only have about 80 gigs of data on my media smart server so this would be a very viable option for me since I dont have the need for massive storage. The main thing I use my server for is music distribution on my DLNA enabled home theater receivers. Granted, I could just get any DLNA enabled network hard drive that would take care of this need, but the server is cool. I can't help but not believe in addition to the unit being silent that there would also be the same advantages of using a solid state drive that they bring over a mechanical hard disk drive.

Also, as a side note, are there still concerns about Microsoft dropping the windows home server product alltogether due to lack of interest, or have those waned? I can't find much info out about this with the researching I have done but I know there have been some concerns.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:49 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Unless your SSD is 160GB or larger, I don't think you will be able to install right to the SSD. WHS 2011 requires 160GB for its install (kind of dumb if you ask me). But all is not lost... I believe people have had success installing to a HDD first, then taking an image of WHS partition, then applying that image to a partition on the SSD. Kind of the long way around, but it should work. I haven't tried it personally as I don't have a spare SSD to try... but when I get around to upgrading my desktop machine to the latest gen of SSDs (waiting for the OCZ series 3 SSDs to stabilize), I will probably give it a shot with the "old" Vertex2 out of the desktop.

A side note though... If your music collection has a habit of growing, using SSDs to store it can be rather expensive. And those WD green drives are pretty quiet and much much cheaper.

My music collection is 150GB and growing rapidly. I have ZunePass and my server is setup with the Zune software, such that the DRM is kept up-to-date and through the media sharing capabilities of the server (through WMP DLNA), I'm able to listen to the music on the server from any computer connected to my network.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank RehabMan for this post
srpawski
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:25 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

There are articles on how to get around the 160GB minimum drive size. It involves the old "Windows Answer Key" style of install where you have an inf file on a usb or floppy and it answers the questions of the WHS install. Then you can put a 60 or 80GB drive in there instead of a 160.

But the bigger question is do you really need a SSD drive in a WHS? The benefits just may not be there. Moreover, if you were to put it in there, you would probably just want to put the OS on there and put your data files on traditional disks in either a RAID or Folder Duped situation. Save the SSD for your desktop.

For an even fancier situation, you can get a device called an Icy Dock and put two Notebook drives in it in a completely mirrored OS (and if you get larger notebook drives, you could put some critical data on there too).

Thanks  
 Post subject: Hardware Question
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:56 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

What do you think of stablebit?

13 TB, mixed drives
400+ DVDs and 80 BD ripped using MakeMKV

~My beautiful wife is always asking me if I love my computers more than her...I don't understand it!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:14 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I have no opinion on the Drive Extender replacements. I'm sure they are fine. But I would rather go with a traditional RAID solution than the DE replacements. I just think they are more standard and custom for storage solutions. Especially as they get larger. we're not using 1 or 2 drive systems anymore.

Thanks