It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:56 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I have been looking at upgrading to WHS2011 for a while now. I was initially leaning toward the HP Proliant Microserver until I came across this ML110 G6 on newegg. I recently found a pretty good deal ($300) and decided to pull the trigger yesterday.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6859105755

Here are the specs:

CPU Type Intel Core i3-530 (2 core, 2.93 GHz)
Cache Memory 4MB L3 Cache
CPU Features 73W Memory
Installed Memory Size 1GB
Memory Type DDR3
MAX Memory Capacity 8GB Storage
Hard Drive (Installed) 160GB LFF
Storage Controller Integrated Serial ATA controller
HDD Interface SATA Networking
Ethernet Controller Embedded NC107i PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Server Adapter Power
Power Characteristics 300W Non-Hot Plug, Non-Redundant (80% efficiency) Physical Spec
Dimensions 14.38" x 6.9" x 16.8" Manufacturer Warranty

More complete specs from HP

Project Summary
HP Proliant ML110 G6 - $300
Western Digital RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB - $75
Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRX 3TB - Free
Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 - $85
Koutech 4-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCI Express Model IO-PEU433 - $27
Mukii TransImp TIP-D185U3-BK - $65
Windows Home Server 2011 - $60

Planned Purchases
Mediasonic HF2-SU3S23 USB 3.0 External Enclosure - $140
Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRX 3TB - $150
Rosewill RC-220 Silicon Image eSATA 1.5G non-RAID Controller Card - $15

Links
Krunt's ML110 Thread at WGS
Drivers and Software

Last edited by hellerbrewing on Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:33 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

A little more information about the server:
Attachment:
ML110.jpg
ML110.jpg [ 19.65 KiB | Viewed 30901 times ]

As you can see from the pic, it comes with a DVD-RW drive installed. The other remaining 5.25 bay is empty.

There's room for 4 hard drives. There are 6 SATA (2.0?) ports on board but 2 of them are designated for optical drives. I have heard that there is a bios hack that will allow you to use them for hard drives if you wish.

Hp has included it's own drive mounting system, basically you remove the studs from the front and attach them to the drive. The studs slide in on a rail and snap back to hold the drive firmly in place. There's also a guard that goes over the front of the drive bay, not really sure what the purpose of it is. There is no fan attached to the drive bay but I am guessing that the exhaust fan and tower CPU fan do a decent job of providing airflow for the drives.

Speaking of fans, the system is really quiet. It sounds like a jet engine when it boots up, but after 5 seconds or so the fans dial down to a whisper.

**Pictures to be inserted shortly.**

Last edited by hellerbrewing on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:45 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

The server is here. I have unboxed it but have not had a chance to fire it up yet. I am waiting to get some stuff sold on ebay so I have the funds to buy some ram and a hard drive for it.

In other news.... I had to send a WD20EADS back to WD for warranty replacement because it died on me. I just checked my RMA status and it appears they are sending me another WD20EADS and a WD30EZRX. I have attached a screen shot. Maybe they are just sending back my bad EADS, but it appears that the drive I sent them and the drive they are sending out have different part numbers.

Edit: I deleted the screen shot. They did end up sending me a WD30EZRX along with a refurbished WD20EADS. I have done a full scan of both of them and they seem to be functioning perfectly.

Last edited by hellerbrewing on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:52 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Speaking of hard drives....

What exactly is the deal with WHS2011 and 3TB hard drives? I can use 3TB drives in the server but you cannot back them up? I thought I saw on the drivepool forums that if you partitioned them you could add them to the pool and they would back up fine, anyone have experience with these?

Edit: OK, I found it.

Quote:
Some people have wondered if DrivePool will work with the WHS 2011 backup system.

The answer is yes.

If you really want to backup your entire drive pool, all you have to do is back up all the individual drives that are participating in the pool.

What about the 2TB limit on WHS backups?

You can partition a 2TB+ drive into 2TB parts. For example, a 3TB drive can have a 2TB partition and a 1TB partition.

As of DrivePool build 569, it understands how to deal with multiple partitions on the same physical drive.

What about folder duplication, is DrivePool smart enough to know that some partitions can be on the same physical disk?

Yes. The current build will only use physically different drives for file duplication. If two or more pool parts actually reside on the same physical disk, they will be treated like a single pool part as far as folder duplication is concerned.

OK, so I thought the backup limitation was the amount of data you could back up at once. So if my pool consists of 2TB drives and I have close to 3TB in my "movies" folder, could I back up the entire folder to the 3TB drive even though the contents are spread out across the disks in the pool?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:49 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Update:

I have installed the new hard drive (see first post) and ram. I was able to get the Bios and Lights Out firmware updated as well. I installed WHS2011, which took longer than I expected it to. I also installed the Koutech IO-PEU433 USB 3.0 card and ran windows update until everything was current.

I still need to run wdidle on the 3TB and 2TB drives that I have ready and get them added. Then I'll download stablebit drivepool and start messing with it.

As far as a storage/backup strategy; at this point I am thinking I will put 3TB drives in the remaining drive bays in the server itself. I'll just format these to use the entire 3TB and pool them with drivepool. I don't plan on backing these drives up anyway, the important stuff will be backed up to the cloud and everything else will just rely on duplication. At this point I think I am going to fill the mediasonic with the 2TB drives out of the old server. I will load movies on one drive until it is full and then move on to the next. If I keep all of My Movies entries consecutive, I can keep track of the movies on each drive by movie # in the database. These I will use WHS2011's disk back up feature to back them up to another drive. If one fails, I can just restore the movies to a new drive. This will allow me to keep track of which files are on which drive and I won't have to waste electricity with extra hard drives running on the server. These files will be pretty static so there will be no need to have backups of previous versions etc.

I also took down my storage cabinet where my EX470 is currently housed and added some ventilation holes in the back and covered them with silverstone fan grills. I have a coolerguys dual 120mm fan kit installed in the top but it was pulling a vacuum on the cabinet when the doors were closed so I ended up leaving them open most of the time. I put the vents in the bottom and I took out the glass shelves. I am working on painting some plywood shelves that are about an inch shorter to allow for airflow from the bottom vents to the fans on top. The future mediasonic enclosures will be housed in this cabinet. (I'll try to get pics of this posted as well.)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:15 am 

Hi there, I was just wondering if you could that 3TB drives work with the HP ProLiant ML110 G6, and show up all 3TB's worth? I can't find any concrete evidence (yours is the closest!) to prove or disprove, before I take the plunge and buy one of these monster drives! I only run Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard on it, so the whole WHS thing isn't important to me.

Thanks in advance! :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:46 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Yeah, I was able to get it to show the full 3TB (well 2.7 something anyway). I had to format it outside of the WHS console of course.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:07 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I was thinking of gettting this server since its on sale at new egg again. ($389 with WHS 2011) I got the X510 last year and luv it!! I got a 4 bay Rosewill with 7TB of back up for my back ups!! :sanjuan:

When pricing what I want to do (DIY) vs. this unit, the pricing on the HP is the clear winner. (+ added memory and drive costs)

How has your experience been these days? Love/hate hassles?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:37 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

The server has been pretty solid, I have had no problems as far as it is concerned. I had a few USB 3.0 issues that ended up being due to a cheap cable. Lately I have been trying to squeeze out as much performance as I can out of my USB 3.0 card. I am thinking I probably should have gone with a powered card as I think it might give me better performance over the longer cables that I am using.

I just ordered another WD30EZRX. I am going to be able to add this one to the pool so I can get some duplication going. I am still waiting for drivepool to get out of beta (or maybe just to M4) before I transfer all of my data off the old server. I did pick up the mediasonic enclosure and I have transferred all of my movies over to the 2TB drive I have in there, this is when I discovered the cheap USB 3.0 cable issue. I restored my database for My Movies and got everything pointed at the correct files. I need to remove one of the 2TB drives from my EX470 and use it to back up that first movie drive that is just about full.

Not quite server related, but I added another antenna to my HTPC setup and reformatted the HTPC. After I was sure this was working well, I called the cable company and gave my cable TV service the boot. So things are progressing.....

The server has been sitting there working away quietly, no complaints.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:48 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

So I am assuming since you have Movies, there are no issues with Movies RIPS/Rendering etc?

Thx

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:54 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I'm not sure what you are asking.... I don't plan on using the server to do any rendering. The movies I have transferred over play fine with the limited testing I have done so far.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:57 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

hellerbrewing wrote:
I'm not sure what you are asking.... I don't plan on using the server to do any rendering. The movies I have transferred over play fine with the limited testing I have done so far.

Oh, I meant any new encoding/transcoding. Blu Ray - DVD Rips etc.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:10 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I have yet to try transcoding. I convert my DVD rips to DVR-MS for my extenders and I am planning to convert my Blu-rays to MKV once I can afford a dune or 2. I shouldn't need to transcode that often but I may use it occasionally.

Thanks  
 Post subject: BIOS Update
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:52 pm 

Hi there, I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone has the latest release of the HP BIOS Update for the Proliant ML110-G6
I found a brand-new unit in a store clear-out and am trying to set it up with a rather esoteric Adaptec Controller card I had lying about. It is giving problems and I suspect a BIOS update may fix them...but of course the only way I can get that BIOS is to enter the new HP way of paying for bug-fixes...they now charge for the BIOS Updates - as an aside this WILL be the last HP Server I buy or recommend....
Anyone have anything newer than the original release BIOS?

Thanks