It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:52 am 

Very nice setup, looks bloody expensive, have you got any TV cards hooked up to it, or any additional NICs?

Also I see a lot of you use the Sabertooth FX990,,, are you using video cards with that, or am I missing something.

I ask as also trying to build a WHS for lots of uses (will need lots of PCIe and possibly a PCI-X or two), and was liking the look of that motherboard, but thought I would lose one PCI to a video card (which I also have and dont mind using if worse comes to worse).

BTW would you recommend the AM3 X4 or X6 or wait until the X8 is out......(and use a cheapo X2 for now)?

Cheers

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:55 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Like just about any high end MB, the Sabertooth FX990 needs a seperate video adapter. I use a Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD4650 video card in my server. My previous MB had an video chip on board and it was more than enough for a server. The HD4650 is overkill but it was in my parts bin and I needed to use something when I upgraded to the ASUS motherboard. You can use any low end video card just make sure there are Vista or later drivers available.

I do not have a TV Tuner. However I do use dual Intel NIC's that are teamed. On the CPU side, I use an AMD X4 and it does not break a sweat. IMHO, if you already have an X2 it would be fine to use for now until the AM3+ CPU prices drop. If you need to purchase a cheap CPU then I would look at an X3 or X4 ... you may not even miss any of the newer CPU's!

John

Thanks