It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:23 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

When I built the Home Server SMART add-in for WHS v1, there were a number of "beloved controls" (as I called them) that made my job so much easier. Probably my favorite was the FancyListView, although the simple Line and TextImageLabel also made the list, as did QButton.

WHS 2011 did away with these beloved controls, and since I wrote Home Server SMART as a hobby and make it available for free (although donations are welcome), I cannot justify spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on custom controls from vendors such as Dundas or Telerik, which are really geared towards "enterprise" developers anyway.

Since I had already "broken the rules" by using these undocumented methods, I decided to have a peek at WHSCommon.dll and HomeServerControls.dll with Red Gate's .NET Reflector. They were not obfuscated, and there were all of those beloved controls, every one of them, and plenty more.

And so I make available to you a selection of those controls. I only included the ones I've used myself, and I've extracted from the two DLLs and put them into a single .NET 4 assembly. In the attached zip file are two projects...one is the controls package as a DLL, and a test driver app that lets you play with the custom controls. Like I said above, I've only extracted from WHSCommon and HomeServerControls the pieces I wanted to use, although I captured all the embedded resources (icons, images and strings) to be sure none got missed, lest the DLL will throw an unhandled exception!

In order for me to get them to work (QMessageBox, for instance), I had to copy various classes from the two assemblies. In many places, I dropped unneeded classes and methods and fixed things until it would compile and I could use the controls exactly the way I did in Home Server SMART for WHS v1. These are exactly what I'm using in Home Server SMART for WHS 2011, so I'm willing to bet that it's pretty solid.

These are provided as-is with NO WARRANTY. Use them at your own risk. Full source code is included. Add in or take out whatever you want. Here are the controls you get with this package (other "sub-controls" are also included like WizardPage controls that QMessageBox needs).

FancyListView (lets you put images in a ListView!)
QMessageBox
QButton
Line
TextImageLabel

Requirements: Visual Studio 2010, .NET Framework 4
Namespace for controls: WSSControls.BelovedComponents
Reference assembly: WSSControls.dll (note the WSS is Windows Server Solutions - can be used in WHS and also SBS 2011 and Storage Server)

Attachments:
File comment: WHS v1 controls for WHS 2011
WSSControls.zip [3.37 MiB]
Downloaded 783 times

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups
Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!