It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:50 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Has anyone been able to determine if the EX470 supports 4GB of high density RAM ? I'm looking at this stick specifically being sold via Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-4GB-PC25300-DDR2667Mhz-240pin-Desktop-Memory-For-AMD-Chipset-Motherboard-/151450780051

I'm running an X2 3800+ EE, 2GB DDR@ RAM and WHS 2011 on my EX470, and want to increase RAM to 4GB. I have just been unable to find out anything definitive on high density RAM. The auction states that it will only work on AMD CPU boards (I'm good there), but item 2 states:.NOT SUPPORT iMac,DELL,Hp,Compaq,IBM,Packardbell,eMachines Computer

Hmmm, so it obviously is an HP board (I did mod the BIOS to support the X2) so I am really not sure what to think. At around $9, no big loss, but I'd prefer to know or at least discuss with other WHS/MSS owners to get their opinions.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:07 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I would steer clear of anything that says for AMD only. I probed this more deeply, and you'll find that "AMD only" memory is often less expensive, but I've found plenty of forum posts that also lead me to believe its of lesser quality.

$9 for a 4GB stick of DDR2 memory, when the going rate for quality DDR2 memory is north of $80 a stick...I think this is a case of either too good to be true, or you get what you pay for.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:13 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Valid points, but I do have one last remaining AMD X4 rig that uses DDR2, and I could use the stick on that Asus board with a good possibility (or at least a better chance than on the MSS) that it would work. I just assumed SOMEONE had tried these sticks out on an MSS given the number the seller has sold. If no one has, I'm willing to give it a go.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:11 pm 

For $9 what have you got to loose....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:35 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Time has definitely flown by since my first post on this topic, but I did want to post on my findings with this (don't you hate those threads that start out interesting but never get a conclusion ??). I bought 2 4GB sticks to test with my WHS, and its been acting up for a few weeks (frequent crashes, no backups for a full week) and I wanted to tear it apart and blow the accumulated dustbunnies out of it.

While I had it apart, it was a great time to test out my super cheap RAM. It was an easy swap, and all I was hoping to see was a boot screen .. aaaandddd ... SUCCESS !!! WHS ID'd a full 4GB available and it booted right into Windows and was off and running. My temps also dropped down into my 'safe zone', so I assumed I had just performed an easy upgrade. Only problem is, my lockups and crashes persisted. I tried running a Chkdsk on my boot drive, as Home Server Smart showed all of my drives in good health, but something was causing all of these hard locks. I also ran a memory diagnostic which showed that the new stick passed. Just to be safe, I popped the old 2GB stick back in and ran a memory test on that. It too passed, but my lockups remained. I tried disconnecting an external eSATA enclosure, in case one of its drives was causing my hard locks.

It wasn't until I ran the database repair tool that the extent of my mess was revealed. Most of my backups were corrupt, but once that tool finished and I started new backups that the server finally calmed down and stopped locking up. I was able to start and finish two backups this morning (from scratch, not incremental), with no hard locks or errors. I initially assumed my RAM, both the new and old stick was at fault, then guessed that I had either a failing HD or PSU. Neither option was one I wanted to deal with last night, but luckily it appears that my issue was a software issue alone. So I'd guess that this stick of RAM works just fine in my WHS, and I also tested it with that Asus M4785-M board I mentioned in my OP (no luck working there - Asus is notorious for being finicky about their RAM) and a Foxconn mATX AM2+ board (worked fine there).

Now I'm somewhat tempted to go for the 8GB stick and use the 2 4GB sticks with the Foxconn board to max that out as well. I picked it up for a song and a dance to use as a backup to my WHS in case my EX470 ever bit the dust. I thought I was close to retiring the old girl this weekend, but it lives to backup yet another day !

Thanks