It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: WHS 2011 Password Reset
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:44 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hello all,

I had the misfortune of forgetting my server admin password. I built my new server, used the password, and installed my clients, and life was good. I had 'remember password' ticked in the connector and in RDP, so after using that for awhile, I forgot the darn password!! :oops:

Overall, I had been fairly displeased with WHS 2011, as I had 'upgraded' from WHS V1. This only added to my displeasure. I had finally gotten this server running the way I wanted, and I was not about to do a re install of the server OS over something as trivial as a forgotten password!!

So, after some searching I found a tool that works. Look here: http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
I used this tool (booting from a USB memory stick) to reset my administrator password. Worked like a CHAMP, and I'm back in the saddle without having to spend hours re-installing the OS. :mrgreen:

I thought I'd post this in the hopes of helping someone else with the same problem!

EDIT: You need to have a monitor and keyboard hooked up to your WHS to use the password reset tool.

Regards,
Mach1

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Mach1 for this post
Comp1962, yakuza

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:35 am 

I made a password reset disk with ntpasswd. but it can't from windows 10. what happened?

Thanks