It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:39 pm 

Hi,

Background / Current Setup
I'm currently running a stock HP MediaSmart EX490 with WHS v1 (3 * 2TB drives, 36% free) which acts as the central backup server and media storage for the home (2 laptops, multiple streaming clients for video and music); it is also protected by UPS. I don't use Remote Access features and this feature is disabled, although I have LogMeIn installed for emergency access.
I also have a Thecus N3200 3 bay NAS with 4 TB storage which is used solely for Disaster Recovery backup for the EX490 and is automatically scheduled for boot Mon 9am and shutdown Thurs 8pm; data is pushed across using Syncback Pro from the EX490.
The Thecus is showing multiple SMART related errors across its 3 Seagate drives, 2 of which are not listed on the official compatibility list because of size. However all drives and data seem intact at the moment.

Plans Afoot
With the current state of the Thecus drives I seized the last chance to grab the £100GBP cashback offer on the N40L. I received today:
- WHS 2011 OEM
- HP ProLiant Turion II N40L Microserver
- 5.25 to 3.5 drive adapter bracket
- Molex to SATA power adapter
- Sata cable
- 1 * 4GB Kingston Memory DIMM (compatibility checked).

My intention is to fit the included 250GB drive in the optical drive space (leaving the 4 drive bays for data drives), replace the supplied 1GB with the 4GB DIMM and install WHS2011. I've found a review which covers the hardware adjustments I need to do here http://www.wegotserved.com/2012/07/15/h ... er-n40l/3/.

I intend to gradually integrate this box as a replacement for the EX490 at the heart of my network, taking over all duties and relegating the EX490 to DR duties. I expect this to take place over September as I obtain suitable drives as funds allow - drives will be pooled using one of the various third party add-ins available (I've yet to make my pick).
The Thecus will go to eBay (sans drives) or trade with a colleague for a UPS to support the assigned DR box.

I've spotted and read a number of N40L threads here but am sure I've overlooked the ones that I should have read, so thought I'd ask:
1. Are there any 'gotchas' I should watch for tomorrow when doing the initial install?
2. Any recommendations for suitable data drives (2TB minimum)? The bigger the better.
3. I've read about various BIOS flashes / tweaks that can be done but am struggling to find the specifics that they bring to the table.
Are they really necessary or just for the enthusiast? My EX490 performs adequately for all our current needs, although I'm
pondering running an email server on the new box.
4. I spotted a post here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/15214857-post662.html about squeezing a slot loading ODD in the ODD bay alongside the moved HDD, however am struggling to find a suitable bracket that will do the job. Any pointers (UK stockist please)? Would I be better off sourcing a 2.5'' HDD for this combination?

That's about all the questions I can think of for the moment - any suggestions / pointers to avoid new build D'oh moments very gratefully received.

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!