It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:13 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

So after a failed processor upgraded attempt on my old but reliable EX470 has resulted in it being very unstable (stays on anywhere from 10 min to a few hours), (placed fans in front, monitor temp, etc., not seeing temp increase) I decided to go ahead and pick up on WHS 2011 and a N40L. In all honesty I'd been watching N40L auctions on ebay for the last few months anyway just to see if one came up at an irresistible price. With the unstable nature of my EX470, my amazon prime account and my lack of patience, well lets just say I decided to pull the trigger quickly.

After a memory upgrade that was more of a pain in the a$$ than it needed to be thanks to that mini SAS connector (more on that in a bit) my 8GB, 8TB N40L is now quietly sitting downloading data from my Crashplan account (I turned off duplicate folders awhile on the 470 and added a crashplan account for easy offsite storage).

That mini-sas connector caught me twice... first it was a pain to get to disconnect (everything else was easy when opening the case), tug, tug, tug (while pressing the clasp), watched a youtube video, more tugging, still nothing, finally after some googling I just got my mini-screwdriver out and slightly bent the two pins on the catch out, plug came right out.

Then afterwards have everything back in place, boot up the box... can't see any hard drives(only sees my WHS2011 usb key)... checking the seating of the drives, trying with just the original 250GB drive, nothing... finally start pushing all the plugs down, that mini-sas connector clicks in(it must have been slightly disconnected).

With the connector fully seated the box came right up, saw my usb key and off and running. Had to pull the USB key on the reboot during the install because there doesn't seem to be a way to tell the N40L to use the drives as a preferred boot device(can set it to usb or network) which I thought was weird.

Anyway all is well now, it'll probably take a week and half to restore the 1.5TB of info I have up in Crashplan, then I'll install the WHS2011 connectors on all my pc's here at home, install some 2011 add's, get remote connectivity going and return the old proud v1 warrior.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!