It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:37 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I have Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials (formerly "Aurora") up and running on brand new and robust hardware. No problems there.

However, when I try to install a client Windows 7 PC, using the new client connector software, I get the following error message:
"This computer is already connected to another Windows server"
"This computer is already connected to another server. Before connecting this computer to the server, you must first remove the computer from the current server."

The client PC in question has been connected to a WHS v1 server in the past. However, I have carefully uninstalled the old v1 connector and the HP Data Vault software, and still I cannot install the new connector. I had the same problem with both the "Aurora" betas, but expected the problem to have been fixed in the RTM version. It's a good bet that remnants of the old connector still reside on the client machine, and that the registry still holds some no-longer-valid information.

Any idea where the installer gets the erroneous information that the PC is still connected to the previous server, and even better, how to get rid of it it?

Ideas and solutions are welcome.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:18 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Short of scanning the registry or looking for any related Windows Home Server or MediaSmart files still kicking around you could see if you can download a copy of the Microsoft MSI Cleanup tool. This was around but was pulled by MS, I think it was Office compatibility issues but might help you. The other option is to install the conector again and try uninstalling.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:37 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Cougar wrote:
Short of scanning the registry or looking for any related Windows Home Server or MediaSmart files still kicking around you could see if you can download a copy of the Microsoft MSI Cleanup tool. This was around but was pulled by MS, I think it was Office compatibility issues but might help you. The other option is to install the connector again and try uninstalling.

I tried the MSI Cleanup tool, plus CCleaner. Made no difference.

Two gentlemen from the Home Server Show forum came up with the solution:

Rename the client and disable IPv6, and you're good to go. Why do we have to jump through loops like this to get the stuff to work properly? I know: Rhetorical question. :crazy:

Thanks