It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:56 am 

Hello All.
Fantastic topic and solution by ymboc, and gave me a lot of confidence to move to a error free sys harddrive.

I used Arconis on the hardrives on a win7 machine and sized the new one at same size as old one....I also wnet through all the steps of the diskid and regestry changes....but I still get this message:

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media..."

;-(

Not sure what to do....WHs will boot up when I switch on the machine....run fine for a while and then BSOD...when I look at teh console monitor, I get the "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media..." error message.

Not sure what to do now.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:47 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Well, sadly enough I never got to try this out. I had some issues with drive pools that I could not get corrected. Seemed like everything I did, made things worse. At that point I went out and got a HDD caddy removed all drives and put in the new system drive. Restored my system and then copied all my data over. It took ages! However, I felt it was a much safer bet to do that, than to clone a "mess" to a new system drive.

Note: Still dislike Advanced format drives :P However, pretty much out of options now.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:28 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thank you, YMBOC, for this really detailed and thorough set of instructions! I just replaced (and upgraded) my Mediasmart system drive without even the slightest hitch. I used Clonezilla for the cloning task.

Much appreciated!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:44 am 

I, too, would like to thank ymboc for this helpful thread, and yakuza, too, for helping him troubleshoot the procedure.

Recently I have been experiencing problems getting into the WHS console, requiring more frequent hard re-boots just to regain access to the console interface and system functions. I also started getting error messages from the Home Server SMART add-in regarding the system drive's health. Specifically, I received the following three messages via email while away from home on a business trip just two days ago:

Disk: ST310005 28AS SCSI Disk Device
Path: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1
There is 1 unstable sector that is waiting to be reallocated.

The health of this disk is questionable. It is recommended that you keep a close eye on it. If its health degrades further, you should replace it.

The disk detected 1 bad sector during its offline scan.

The errors eventually cleared without intervention on my part, and I got email confirmations with the subject line "WHS WARNING Cleared" for all three prior error messages. When I returned home, opened the WHS Control Panel and checked the SMART stats for the system drive, everything appeared healthy.

Nevertheless, I decided to replace and upgrade the 5-year-old system drive, just for peace of mind.

For my system, I decided to remove and re-purpose a Western Digital Red 1TB drive already in the array, since I had plenty of spare capacity to remove a drive, the WD Red was the newest drive in the array, and it had the longest warranty, the coolest-operating temperature (28C), and NAS-specific optimizations. So I cloned the original, 5-year-old, Seagate 500GB system drive to the relatively new, WD Red 1TB drive using Acronis True Image 2013. I chose to manually increase the size of the system partition from 20GB to 30GB to provide more room for the Avast! anti-virus to continually update. (Limited drive space had begun interfering with Avast! updates, so I was intent on killing two birds with one stone here, but didn't want to go overboard and allocate an additional 20GB through proportional cloning just to address that problem.)

The cloning / registry update process outlined in the original post was successful, and I booted up to a functioning system with green "Network Healthy" status. Hurray!!!

Suggested clarification for Steps 27.5 through 27.8:

On a Win7 64-bit desktop using Remote Desktop Connection, when copying binary data for the MountedDevices keys, I could not simply "Double-Click on the \DosDevices\C: Entry. Highlight and copy all the data into the clipboard." I had to right-click on the entry, select "Modify Binary Data" from the pull-down menu, highlight the binary data, and then right-click again to choose "Copy" from the pull-down menu. Likewise, when pasting binary data for the MountedDevices keys, I could not simply "Find and Double-Click on the entry that matches the SystemName value recorded in Step 27.2. Highlight and replace all the data with the contents of the clipboard (paste)." I had to right-click on the entry, select "Modify Binary Data" from the pull-down menu, highlight the binary data, and then right-click again to choose "Paste" from the pull-down menu. Simply double-clicking on the entries wouldn't work, and using normal Windows shortcuts (e.g., Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V) also wouldn't work.

Other than that, the process was pretty straight-forward and painless. Backups are functioning like normal, and all of the computers in my home network are being backed up again as I type this post (2 down, and 3 more to go).

Thanks again to ymboc for such a detailed, informative, and helpful thread. You have enabled me to extend the life of my entire WHS system, and I greatly appreciate it!

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Razorbak86 for this post
yakuza
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:14 pm 

Working on it currently.

I have a WHS Ex490, no special hardware or software config, besides WHS clam & a SMART add-in there's nothing besides sheer data on it. I bought a WD 2TB Green (WD20EZRX) to replace the 1gig Seagate the unit came with many years ago. To be safe, hope I'm doing it right, I copied the entire (hidden) DE folder (on the DATA partition of the "old" disk) to my personal system.

The reason I have to do this is because of THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of drive errors have been showing up lately, making any use of the WHS practically impossible within the span of 2-3 days.

Problems I bumped heads with;
# Can't initiate the new HDD... solution was to activate the hidden admin; open your CMD as admin & type the following: net user administrator /active:yes
# Then I couldn't partition the new unit, which I was able to eventually thanks to the Acronis True Image I bought... however, the cloning part of Acronis didn't work.
# Downloaded the Acronis True Image WD edition (from the Western Digital support website) and it is currently cloning. edit; this worked like a charm
# "Failed to read data from disk" during the cloning process... fingers crossed I can just ignore it! edit; Yeah, 1x Ignore and the issue did not re-occur.

No other hick-ups, followed your guide to the end (I did take out the other drives before starting it up the first time with the "new" main drive)... currently restarting the system with the other drives re-inserted.

Most recent analysis:
Restarted the system, right now it's ONLY detecting the main drive as the total DATA volume (1.78TB)... although Disk Management, CrystalDiskInfo & HDTune are all quite certain there are 4 operational drives. The "Server Storage" tab on the WHS Console shows 4 healthy disks, but "Home server SMART" lists the new WD disk with a (X) mark infront of it (instead of the usually green V-mark for A-OK!), without the Failure Prediction being True (so it's FALSE). Also the WHS Console is slow as hell and isn't showing a main screen anymore (the "MediaSmart Server" tab is all white).

Anyone able to comment on the last few notes? I've bolded it.

While the bolded portion of this post begs to be answered, what I can say is; MASSIVE kudo's to mr. Kuretz & Ymboc!! You're doing the work of saints. All in all this process cost me a new HDD (74 euro's for a 2TB Western Digital Green WD20EZRX) and give or take 6 hours (of which 4 were spend on the Cloning process). Problems seem fixed, I'm very glad but will read up on and subsequently build meself a custom NAS to back the WHS up (or if it surpasses the WHS, it'll be the other way around hehe).

I salute you,
- JW

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:05 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

One more satisfied customer! Many thanks for the steps - just upgraded my WHS V1 from a 320Gb IDE drive to a 1Gb SATA drive.

Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:07 pm 

Registered with this forum just to say: THANKS!!!

My WHS system drive was 'dying' and with the help of the information in this post I managed to get a new system disk installed and working.

Some notes:
- I used Macrium Reflect Free to clone the WHS system disk, the cloning took 7:39 hours, likely due to the original disk dying
- Macrium did not clone the UNIQUEID, so followed the steps in the post
- Use DISKPART on the host system (in my case W7) as the DISKPART on my WHS did not have the same set of commands
- I replaced the system disk with one of similar brand and size, this simplifies things (but is not a must according the instructions)
- I have a 'SATA-to-USB3' converter (from DealExtreme) which turned our very practical
- My host PC (W7) had a swappable-SATA disk bay, also very handy
- I took a wrong turn with the original document by mixing up things in step 28. Read the instructions carefully!
- **DO** make backups of the WHS registry before and during the process, give them useful names... (they were key in correcting the mistake mentioned above....)
- yes, it does take notable time (think: hours), specifically if this is the 1st time.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Agila for this post
yakuza
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:33 am 

God bless you sir! Flawless, clear, precise - saved my tail. Many thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:11 am 

Thanks for an excellent guide. My 750 gig system drive was failing, and I was out of storage space, so I was able to swap in a 2 TB drive. Cloning took 20 hours using 2 USB->SATA drives and Seagate DiskWizard. The rest of it took about 20 minutes.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:25 pm 

Followed the workflow and failed. I used AcronisTrueImage2013 (WD version) to clone my failing system disk to a WD20EFRX. So far, so good, no error messages.
First problem: in step 19), I could not navigate anywhere on the new disk because no drive letters were assigned. Is that normal? Why is this point not mentioned in the workflow? So I went ahead and manually assigned the same drive letters (G:, H:) to the 2 partitions to copy the \System32\Config folder as instructed.
2nd Problem: After booting up my H340 with the freshly-cloned drive (VGA visible), the Server went into recovery mode and waits (listens) for Client-based recovery. I exchanged the drive for the old 1GB disk - same picture: I cannot boot my H340 anymore.

Any help would be appreciated!

My System: Acer H340 WHS w/ PP3

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:36 pm 

Since you have a video output on your H340 can you check the BIOS for the Boot Order. If your unable to get into the BIOS then you will need to set a jumper on the Motherboard.

Review this link for the Jumper Location: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/04 ... easystore/

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
paran0id
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:00 pm 

Comp1962 wrote:
Since you have a video output on your H340 can you check the BIOS for the Boot Order. If your unable to get into the BIOS then you will need to set a jumper on the Motherboard.
Review this link for the Jumper Location: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/04 ... easystore/

Did that (somehow I couldn't reach mss.net, but I discovered the service handbook and found out the jumper was already present). The Boot Order was alright - or so I thought. Still didn't work. Fiddled around with diskpart, checked if partition was activated (it was). But then I re-visited the BIOS and noticed a small "!" left to the HDD entry (I have a bad VGA touchscreen where the highlighted line is almost white on white). I activated the HDD (Shift-F1 or something) and voilá! works like a charm. I was able to follow the workflow and now have a nice healthy system disk (with double the size...).

Thanks for the workflow and special thanks to Comp1962 for the BIOS hint!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:11 pm 

Happy to hear you got it working. If you need assistance always feel free to ask.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:24 pm 

My system drive has some unallocated bad sectors. Decided to try this procedure and replace the WD500 GB drive with a Seagate ST1000DM003. I know it's AF, but I have had good luck with Seagate AF drives with smartalign.

I am computer savvy (I'm a Test Engineer in Electronics Manufacturing), so no worries editing the registry. I followed the procedure precisely, cloned the drive using Acronis, extended the partition, changed the uniqueid and made the registry tweaks. The system will boot but the New Disk is listed as system and is shown as 'missing" and it also appears another time as a "Non Storage Drive". I went through the entire procedure twice, and have rechecked the registry entries, everything looks good. Any clue as to what the problem could be?

Attachments:
File comment: Screenshot
whs.jpg
whs.jpg [ 126.63 KiB | Viewed 61547 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:39 pm 

The System Drive has 2 partitions SYS for the OS which is typically 20GB in size and DATA which is part of the storage pool. I see you extended the System partition but did you leave the DATA Partition on the drive?

I have cloned System Drives a couple of times following the procedure as it was written but there were a few things different at the time. First I was not using any AF Drives in fact at that time I was avoiding them, Second I cloned the same size drive thus keeping things reasonably close and Third I did not play with the partitions.

WHSv1 is too damn picky about drives that I wonder if the change in the partition size might be causing it to pinch a fit. On the other hand if the DATA partition is not there and was never cloned that might account for WHS reporting the drive missing and having it show up as a drive that can be added to your pool.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next