It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:36 pm 

I'm new to this forum and a soon to be EX487 owner. Per the manual, the first software installation requires "One or more computers running Windows XP, Windows Media Center Edition, or Windows Vista for the first software installation." Is Win 7 Pro supported for the first install?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:47 pm 
Founder
Founder

Yes it should work fine.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:25 pm 

Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate it. A follow-up question if I may? The HP website contains 2 SW updates which are tied to the OS. Win 7 is not among them. Do I pass, or select Vista?

Has anyone else used Win 7 exclusively including the initial install? Any issues to be mindful of?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:12 pm 
Founder
Founder

Initial setup is performed on the server via an RDP application (the Server Console) so there are no client specific concerns as long as the client software installs correctly.

All software updates should come down via the HP automatic updates on the server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:02 pm 

Well FedEx delivered my new EX 487 earlier today, and after geting home from work, I'm preparing to start it up as per the instructions. This is indeed a new, out of the box unit, despite it having been introduced into the market 18 months ago. A couple of questions for forum readers.

1) I live in a rural community. Electrical power here, at times, is problematic. I'm planning on putting this on an APC Back-UPS 500 as the only item on it. What I don't know is does the MediaSmart Server software contain functionality that will allow the UPS to initiate a controlled shutdown upon a power outage? Thoughts? Anybody else got a single EX487 for home use on a UPS? How are you configured?

2) Start-up after a power loss. How does the unit fare/behave? Well? Not so well? Good luck with that?

3) Any issues on starting up a brand new EX487 18 months after the model was 1st introduced? Update considerations etc.?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:19 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Storm2b wrote:
Well FedEx delivered my new EX 487 earlier today, and after geting home from work, I'm preparing to start it up as per the instructions. This is indeed a new, out of the box unit, despite it having been introduced into the market 18 months ago. A couple of questions for forum readers.

1) I live in a rural community. Electrical power here, at times, is problematic. I'm planning on putting this on an APC Back-UPS 500 as the only item on it. What I don't know is does the MediaSmart Server software contain functionality that will allow the UPS to initiate a controlled shutdown upon a power outage? Thoughts? Anybody else got a single EX487 for home use on a UPS? How are you configured?

Check http://www.kentdome.com/gridjunction out. It's an add-in that works with a UPS to do a controlled shutdown.

2) Start-up after a power loss. How does the unit fare/behave? Well? Not so well? Good luck with that?

The behavior is similar to any other PC that loses power suddenly. It's not good for the software or hardware to experience this frequently.

3) Any issues on starting up a brand new EX487 18 months after the model was 1st introduced? Update considerations etc.?

Once you have it up and running, check for updates in the console. There will be a section for HP updates and one for Windows.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:47 pm 

I appreciate the quick responses. TY.

Firewall question. Anybody in the forums using ZoneAlarn as their firewall? I've attempted the add the 5 programs identified in the instructions in the C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server directory but do not get an error, and do not find then in the ZA program list after doing so. Any ideas?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:38 pm 

A couple of follow-up questions, if I may? I live in an area in which there is no wired broandband (none available via cable, none available via Telcos, no wiMax, no Motorola Canopy etc.). My internet access, such as it is, is from Verizon via a Novatel 2200 tethered USB to a Cradlepoint MBR100 wireless rouer.

I initially set this EX487 up attached to the router, same for my P2035n printer (hey, my network needs were simple). To allow for some network growth/expansion I've decided to add two Netgear GS105 and GS108 gigabit switches in the topology. The MBR100 is only 10/100, whereas I want the rest of the network to be gigabit capable. So, at the computerdesk where the EX487 is, I run the MBR100 to the GS105 5 port switch and then hang the 487 and printer of that GS105 desktop switch.

My laptop still sees the 487, and I can still log on to it. However, I'm new to 487 ownership aspect, and the box is only operational 1 week, and isn't doing nothing yet (as I'm working on learning centralized media storage etc.). Did I affect the 487's stability, or my ability to properly manage the 487, or affect its performance by initially installing it hanging it off the router, but then switching to hanging it off the Netgear GS105 switch? If I have, what things need my attention?

Any suggestions, or insight is appreciated. Also, anybody insterested (or willing) in commenting on what AV software that you are running on your boxes? I'm not a Norton fan, given my experience with them, but I am interested in the views and experiences of others.

Thanks