It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Vail and EX490/495
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:24 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Will EX490/495 owners be able to install Vail, and if so will there be any feature loss when switching from the HP version of WHS to a pure MS version of Vail?

I should know this, but ever since I got my EX490 up and running, I sort of forgot about it and stopped reading related articles. Now that I am having issues I am back into the game and would like to know more about Redmond's next version.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Vail and EX490/495
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:02 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

It's my understanding that the stock CPU in a ex490 doesn't support 64-bit OS's.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:05 pm 
Founder
Founder

The CPU is 64-bit capable, see the Vail link in the top of the site for instructions on how to install Vail on any MediaSmart Server. I personally doubt that HP will provide an upgrade, however it's doable on your own if you so desire.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:56 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

TedC wrote:
It's my understanding that the stock CPU in a ex490 doesn't support 64-bit OS's.

I have upgraded to a E6500 so even if this applied, it would not affect me.

yakuza wrote:
The CPU is 64-bit capable, see the Vail link in the top of the site for instructions on how to install Vail on any MediaSmart Server. I personally doubt that HP will provide an upgrade, however it's doable on your own if you so desire.

I was actually considering this for when Vail goes retail. I guess what I am interested in is, what does HP's version of WHS do that the standard does not? I have never owned an WHS besides my EX495, so I don't know what features I would lose if I upgrade. Can anyone fill me in?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:44 pm 

Thats a good question but maybe too soon to get an answer on as Vail is still in beta althout they did release a new preview back in mid August 2010 along with a rather long document listing known issues and a patch that you need to install. For this reason I have to make the comment to soon to get an answer on this.

I do think that once the Release Candidate comes out thats when you may see some information trickle out on what if anything HP might be planning but now you know about VAIL but also for business there is AURORA and the two are similar but targeted at different markets.

What I can tell you I would like to see is an add-in developed to make use of the MSS LED boards and FAN Speed Control for the various MSS units that have Vail or Aurora installed on them. I think this would be very helpful but at the same time I am not really certain just how many would install Vail or Aurora on an existing MSS unit as it would be simpler just to replace the unit and migrate their data over to the newer unit.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:36 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I like Vail as it seems stable and it is very fast. A backup on a client computer that takes over an hour on WHS only takes a few minutes with Vail.

You will miss your nice add-ins that I like. Grid Junction, Disk Management, Twonky and others but they will come along in a revised format sooner or later. The user GUI is not developed yet; this seems to be the area that Microsoft is leaving to the OEM developers. Features like HP Media Collector, Video Converter, Photo Publisher and System Status are not there in the same format or not at all, (OEM developed Software). Little features like how long a client backup took are not there and I found this a good tool to see if the network was performing slowly.

I look forward to possibly being able to Beta test the Advanced Admin Console to see what enhancements it brings to Vail.

Some of these ideas I have sent to Microsoft and they told me that they are considering making changes. Other issues like the fact that my artwork for media does not transfer to my PS3 or XBOX 360 they say is my problem and that their systems work. Dozens of others have selected this problem and added their comments to my original bug submittal so other people are obviously having the same problem.

Overall, if Vail came out for an EX470 and EX490 I would buy it and use it. I have multiple servers and the backup time for my house took over 8 to 9 hours every night even with little or no changes to the data on the clients. I am convinced that Vail would not take nearly as long and save time, energy and improve my satisfaction overall. I have not tied all of my clients to Vail as it is a Beta but I am satisfied with how it works now.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:31 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

So it sounds like the features that HP's version includes are HP Media Collector, Video Converter, Photo Publisher and System Status. Are there any other features that I will lose?

Thanks  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]