It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:25 pm 

Hello everyone!

After searching on google for more information regarding my problem with my X310 I decided to open a post in the very best forum for my problems.

So I got from a customer, a 2nd hand Data Vault X310 that's currently not working. No CD, no manuals, just a power cable and the beautiful black box. It has 3 1TB Barracudas in it.

I go home and do the usual cable plugging, power cable to power connector, rj45 from x310 to router. I turn it on, next things happens:

1- It does not shows on my router, even knowing that link is ok, cable works, and dhcp is actually working(my pc shows handsomely on the list)
2- Takes a big time flashing the 3rd led(I think is health) in a bluish light. Power led and Network led are steady blueish, no blinking.
3- After like 10 minutes it stopped flashing. Now is blood red the Health led and showing me disks 1 to 3. It does not has a 4th disk attached.

Thanks in advanced. I know we will enjoy fixing this lovely X310 for the sake of it!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:11 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Without the disks or at minimum, the admin username/password, you are out of luck.

I was unsure, you said it "did" show up in your router? If so, then at least you know the nic is working and if you can find some CD's (server recovery) (Server software) ( Client recovery) a couple of new hard drives, you would be good to go.
It might have other problems, but you won't know till you get the cd's.

Great little server, I almost got a couple, but the atom cpu scared me away.
Ebay sometimes has cd's for sale.
Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:00 pm 

Well link is detected on both interfaces, but it is not showing up on my router client list.

So to update everyone on what I did today. I took out all 3 HDDs. And tested them in my main computer.

From bottom to top:

Disk #1: Has 2 partitions. One named SYS, NTFS and with the BOOT flag(information taken from Partition Magic). 20GB total space, 13GB free. Second partition like 900GB total, 900GB free.
Disk #2: Has 1 partition, NTFS. 1TB total space, 533GB occupied. No data visible thru windows explorer. Nor thru any nifty tool i got hold off to check hdd contents.
Disk #3: Exactly same as Disk #2.

So I will assume this Vault had some type of RAID.

Interesting thing. I found some files in the Disk #1 SYS partition, see attached images.

Image #1 http://imgur.com/ethMjsb
Shows the root of the SYS partition in Disk #1, several files and folders there.

Image #2 http://imgur.com/JslexWw
Now, this get better(by a fraction). The WHS folder which you can see in Image #1 contains the connector app. Not sure if useful at all but might get us somewhere.

So let's not give up yet! About the recovery CDs I have faith that someone within this great community will show up save the day.

Thanks again in advance!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:09 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Yes, these servers use a type of raid called "pooling" if you turn on hidden files and folders you should be able to see the files on the drives in windows disk management.

Not showing up in the router might be a bad thing, but won't know till you find disks.
The disks need to be for the x-310, no others will work, at least the stock versions for the other media servers won't work.
Good luck When you get the disks shout out if you need help to try and restore it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:48 pm 

FIXED! OMG

I got a PM frpm HPe Storage Guy and it pointed me to Software Depot link from HP. I got the software and I just got it up and running!.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:27 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Great to hear!
The first thing I would recommend is to install the free Smart Addin so you can keep track of your drives.
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/dl/InstallHomeServerSMARTClassic.zip

Also, it is always good to have a backup of your data that you can't lose.
Good Luck.... Enjoy.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:18 am 

Hi, panacuba i have the same problem, i got a x310 for fixing, no cd, no manual 3 2TB HDD,
i searched everywhere and got no luck getting the disk (at this point ill find the Holy Grail before the disks :shock: )
Do you still have the link or the installation disks?
Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:41 am 

I installed Ubuntu server on my X310 and put Plex on it. It is now my home streaming server and works great. I also have Samba that allows me to copy my videos over the network to the server to be indexed. Before this I had installed Windows Home Server, but, found it not very useful other than for storing files due to how old Windows Home Server is. Let me know if you would be interested in a disk image you could make to a hard drive and put that in your X310 that would have Ubuntu Server with Plex and Samba.

Thanks