It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:11 am 

Hi all,

You won't believe how happy I was to stumble upon this forum :)

I've got a x510, running on an SSD in an ICY dock converter with Windows Server 2008, which works like a charm btw.
I've also plugged in a VGA and a ps2 connector since I wanted to access the BIOS and check for potential boot messages (makes Windows install much easier too :) )

So far so good.

Now I noticed that the system in only booting from the SSD when the VGA connector is actually plugged into a monitor!
The monitor doesn't need to be switched on, it's enough to be connected.

When I unplug the VGA cable, the system is not booting. Connecting the VGA cable afterwards, shows me it tried to boot from PXE, even though PXE is not first in the Boot sequence, and the SSD is clearly available in the BIOS.

So it seems it's always trying to boot from PXE when there's no VGA cable connected, regardless of the configured boot sequence.

I skimmed through the bios settings, couldn't find anything out of the ordinary on first glance.

Has anybody any idea what can cause this behaviour? Is there a BIOS setting i overlooked?
I'm half tempted on cutting off the socket of a spare VGA cable and leave it on the system permanently.

Small thing, but very annoying :)
Thanks!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:06 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I could be all wet, but I seem to remember the 510 doing weird things after the jumper is installed to open up the bios.
I would try pulling the jumper (once you get the bio where you want it) and try booting up without the vga.

I think the jumper also caused the server to not perform a system recovery/reset until the jumper was off. Since you are not using whs v1 that may not be a problem.

That is all I have for ya, pull the jumper and see if it helps.
Let us know how it goes....
Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:03 am 

Thanks for the suggestion Gardian, unfortunately that didn't do the trick :|

Doesn't matter though: I cut off the end of a VGA cable and placed it permanently on the server VGA port.
Not the most elegant workaround, but since the Server is hidden in the desk cabinet, I don't really mind.

I'm also toying around with the idea of getting a HP Microserver Gen8, so the current solution may as well be an interim one.

Thanks again!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:09 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Wow! I got to tell ya that is very weird! Thx for letting us know how it went.
I have installed every server os on ssd's with the vga setup and never had this happen.... But it's good to know as people will be looking to upgrade the OS and there are still alot of 510's out there...

I thought about the Gen8 and decided to build my own. Maybe the Gen9 will start coming with an OS.
Good luck and enjoy...
You shouldn't have any problem getting rid of your 510, I still see them on ebay for around 300-400 bucks.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks