It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:17 am 

I'm trying to do a recovery to a new SSD and having problems...

My X510 sys drive (1TB Seagate) started showing lots of reallocated sectors in the SMART add-in, it jumped up pretty rapidly over a couple of weeks, so "time for a new drive".
The Seagate drive was a replacement for one that HP swapped out under warranty when the original drive (exact same type) failed.
So I thought, lets go for something different, and at the same time, a bit of an upgrade.

I've seen quite a few people have SSDs as the sys drive, and now the prices have come down I thought it worth a try as I could avoid all the jumping trough hoops of trying to fool the OS that it was installing to a too-small drive, and just use a 250GB Samsung 840EVO in the first place.

I made sure that the Data part of the Seagate drive was cleared out using the Drive Balancer Utility (http://homeservershow.com/windows-home- ... ility.html) so that there was just the OS area of the drive used.
The 3 data drives are Samsung 2TB advanced format drives (no, never had a problem with them!)

So shut the server down, and follow the HP instructions to change the drive with the OS - do a System Recovery. This is the same thing I had to do when the 1st drive failed. Unfortunately I can't remember how long that took...

I am using the HP recovery CD in a laptop running Win 7 (64bit) linked directly to the Data Vault. I've got the laptop in "Safe Mode with networking" to stop any Antivirus etc getting in the way.

So I have got to the "Rebuilding Server" part of the recovery, which warns it may take 60 minutes. So far it has been 24 hours and the progress bar has made no progress whatsoever - just the 1st blue segment showing that it started with!
The Datavault is showing 2 blue lights, and the health light is flashing "violet" (it looks more white to me!

So... Is it just taking ages because there is so much data on the drives ( they are all nearly full) or is my configuration wrong somehow?
Task Manager shows the WHSRecovery.exe process is running, and I/O Other is steadily incrementing.

Any advice? :(

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:30 pm 

Your recovery should not take all that long and about 1 hour is about right. What will take your the longest is downloading and installing all the HP and Microsoft updates. I have done recoveries with large storage pool systems on WHSv1 and when it goes well its about 1 hour to do the initial OS installation then the server does a series of Reboots, pulls some updates, reads the tombstones and creates the 2nd partition on the system drive for the storage pool after which you then see the drive lights turn on.

From there its configure the server giving it a name and password and such and then its update time. You may even see messages indicating your client backup database is corrupt, just ignore those messages until all the updates are installed then those messages tend to go away. If you repair the backup database too soon you could very well lose the entire database so its worth mentioning.

I know some have used SSD's in their WHSv1 builds but most use them with the newer Operating Systems where they actually work better.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:50 am 

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I remember that there was a lot of updates - both MS Windows Server and from HP.

Anyway, it was about 48 hours that it had been "stalled" when I got your reply, so in spite of the dire warnings not to disconnect anything, or even to hit "cancel" or all the data would be lost, I decided to cancel. I had backed up everything to my N40L so if the worst happened I should at least have a copy of the data...

So, deep breath...cancelled, and tried a different PC with an older OS to do the install - an Atom Netbook running XP (let the good times roll!)- with the recovery CD in an external drive (not so convenient eh?)

Kicked it all off again, and....it worked like a charm! :cheers:
I now have it all up and running, appear to have all my data (but a little more free space than before :? Add-ins back in place, and ESet NOD32 reinstalled.

So, the only mystery is I wonder why the newer, faster, more capable PC wasn't able to do the job?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:05 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

There is no rime or reason to why the recoveries are so varied!
I have seen a one shot / done fast / with no problems and I have seen complete (I can't find the server) and everything in between.

I have a win xp 32 bit laptop with the server recovery cd's copied to the desktop that I use just for recoveries. Works first time every time.

At worst, having a backup and trying a couple of times you will get it done 99% of the time.
Good luck and if you run that ssd with WHS v1 long term, let us know what you think and if the drive wears out faster....

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:38 pm 

I have done my fair share of recoveries and I have to admit I prefer to use a 32bit Win XP Client but I have done them with a 64 bit Win 7 client as well. WHSv1 can be a major pain with the drives and its very picky about them. I have seen drives in good working order just not work well and drives with issues perform without issues. As Gardian mentioned there is no rhyme or reason why things do not work well during one attempt then do with another.

I am just happy to hear you managed to get through it and have your server up and running. It will be very interesting to see how the SSD works out for you now and over time.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:24 pm 

Thanks both :)

Yes I read about the possibility of wear (due to everything being written to the drives going onto the D partition first?) but only after reading up as much as I could find, then ordering the drive, and THEN reading about it! ](*,)
We'll see then.

I did wonder if my problem recovering was a 32 vs 64 bit issue, but I see it can be done... so seemingly not.
When I recovered the original Seagate the PC used was an XP desktop that has since died, so no hope of using that.

I admit that I had been backing the 64 bit Win 7 laptop to the X510, but I think I might use the N40L instead from now. It'll make homegroups a bit easier and I seem to be able to see the contents of the X510 from the one the N40L is on anyway.

Thanks again.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:20 pm 

Actually that's how WHS use to work in that all data use to go to the DATA Partition on the system drive then get moved to the storage pool. It was referred to as the Landing Zone and Microsoft quickly did away with that. I will tell you one thing and that is that WHS is always doing something with the System Drive and you can see this if you have the ADD-IN Disk Management installed so the system drive is always busy doing something and stays active.

The primary issue with using an SSD in the older operating systems is the lack of TRIM Support. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM_(SSD_command) I am not fully up to speed on this stuff but the end result is premature wear on the SSD. Of course there was a high failure rate with the early SSD's which is why it took me so long to start using them but I am very happy with them.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks