It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:18 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hmmm, it must be getting to a certain age I guess, my Datavault's original 1Tb Seagate system disk is showing rapidly increasing SMART errors, the WD EADS 1.5Tb pool disks are ok so far.

Having read many threads on the subjects of how to replace the drive and what to replace it with I've chosen to use a new 2Tb WD Red as the replacement system disk and to start from scratch using restore disks rather than cloning (couple of software issues with the HP tab currently).

I'm off loading all data onto spare non pooled disks at the moment, I'll then remove all the disks and set them aside before fitting the red and reinstalling, then updating (are the HP updates still available through HP? ), then testing, then add the pool disks afresh and finally bring back the data from the spares.

If anybody is interested I'll post updates later, if anyone has an insight please do shout up.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:26 am 

Yes all the HP Updates are still available from HP and you can instruct your server to download and install them. You can perform a recovery with your storage pool drives in the server and your data will still be there. Just make sure you download all the HP and Microsoft updates and ignore any messages about the client backup database being corrupt as that will go away once the server is fully updated.

There is nothing wrong of course with your approach but it will be very time consuming depending on how much data you have to move back to the server. Sometimes there is something to be said about performing a Factory Recovery and getting the server off to a good start and sometimes due to certain mistakes people make its the only corrective action they can take.

Should you one day decide for what ever reason to add the original System Drive to your storage pool make certain you delete the partitions first then format the drive into a single partition then add the drive but if the drive is failing then its just not work using in your server.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:33 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Many thanks for your, as ever, speedy and helpful advice.

I've not fully decided what to do with the existing system drive that's being replaced, it may go in a less critical system or caddy or something, then again I might just drill it out and not take the risk.

There's about 5Tb of data and I like the idea of starting with a clean slate, so once I've done the backups & hashes I'll remove the partitions on the existing pool disks before sticking them back in.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:46 am 

Ok then your on a good track. I will often repurpose a decommissioned server drive as a temporary file storage drive. I will often rip my movies to a drive like that, test the movies out then move them to the server. If the drive has a high bad sector count then I would trash it but if its just pending bad sectors often I will perform a full Zero Write Format on the drive followed by a long full format and often time the pending bad sectors will go away but never store anything critical on it just use it as a temporary storage device. Why muck up a good drive when ripping things anyway.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:28 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have to say I like fresh starts, I think you are going down the right road. It is worth the time to copy back to a fresh load.
I have 1 of my 510's setup with a 1tb red system drive and 2 2tb reds for the pool.
(I regret getting the 1tb reds now, but they will do)
I am lucky for now I don't have that much data, so I use 2 Green 1.5 tb drives non-pooled to backup my shares ( they came in a used server, might as well use them). They are quickly filling up so I will be looking soon at getting a couple 3 or 4 tb reds for non-pooled drives.

Having the 2tb system drive sets you up for max capacity down the road and gives you some room if you need to pull a drive.

Goodluck and enjoy As long as you have some kind of backups, your set.

P.S. I second what Comp1962 said with drives that are going bad, I don't mess with them. If you can use them for a temp drive fine but otherwise, I would drill it and bin it. You know it is going to fail right at a bad time. :-(

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:56 pm 

The only time a fresh start would not be plausible is if you have a large amount of data. My storage pool is 38.2 today after just removing a 2TB drive which was presenting a problem. I am have 15.2TB free and while 23TB is data and everything there is duplicated so 11.5TB of data would need to be restored if I were to start off with a fresh install which is not something I would easily want to do.

Now with WHS2011 and WS2012E you could perform a fresh install without having to move the data and in my case just reinstall Stablebit Drive Pool and then recreate the shares however the client backups are my most coveted data set and so I am most protective of that data the most so it too is duplicated on my servers. On my WHSv1 servers I use Alex's BDBB to protect my client backups and for additional protection there because I do not have access to those clients I have restored the client backups across multiple servers which most would not do.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:23 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I've begun;

All shares off loaded to spare USB disks.
All software noted and set aside.
All disks out and labeled as per slots.
New RED 2Tb disk fitted in slot 0
Hooked up direct to laptop and recovering to factory settings now from the DVD.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:06 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Hope all goes well for you, it takes some time to get all the updates and install and configure all the addins, but I believe well worth it when your done.
Life is a lot easier with the smaller data sets.
As Comp1962 said, I would hate to try that with 20-30 tb of data.
Goodluck and shout out if you run into any problems.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:18 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

That was a while ago. The verdict, the Red drive has been working fine so far with no changes or jumpers etc.

I had to do the restore twice though. The first time something went wrong, perhaps some updates came in the wrong order or I installed something before I should have done, either way it became unstable and failed.

The second time I took things much slower, allowed all the updates to complete, did many reboots and gave it 24 hrs after those completed before I started with the add-ins.

My main problem was with MyMovies addin as this simply would not accept the database I had backed up before I changed the system disk. This is very annoying as I have over 700 movies and whilst I have restored the movie list from my online account, I will have to manually tie these up to the ripped movies on the storage.

Other than that things have been ok, stability is as before, speed is as before and thus I have pushed my upgrade to replacement hardware/operating system further down the road slightly.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:04 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Good to hear things went fairly well, it's nice to have new hardware. I keep a few extra disks on hand just in case, it's just a matter of time. I also keep an extra power supply on hand as well.
Good luck with your future setups, let us know what you end up going with, lots of us are in the same boat, what do we do for the future?
I just picked up another 510 so now have two spares, well really 3 spares as I have 1 setup as a second sync'ed from the first.
I will use these as long as I can.

Thanks