It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Windows 8
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:21 pm 

I am trying to install the client software on my new Windows 8 machine, and it is stalling out after I enter my password and as it is trying to configure the backup. I am running the install locally after copying the install file from the software folder on the server.

There is no Windows Homer Server folder in my Program Files. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

Any suggestions?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Windows 8
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:06 pm 

I have seen this before where the install nearly completes then it uninstalls itself or it tells you that an install is in process or waiting for the client reboot. Those types of things simply drove me crazy and the Microsoft Connect suggestions were of no real help.

I first ran into this issue when servicing my daughters Desktop and there is no rhyme or reason I could determine as to the cause and affect. Checking time and date, disabling firewalls, registry tweaks all drove me crazy. I removed the failed client installs from the Dashboard (Yes they will be listed in Computers and Backups). I then did a combination of things up to and including powering everything down on my network then starting everything up from the modem, router, network devices and clients. Then the issue went away and I can not explain the reason why. I just know it worked on my end and can not guarantee it to work for anyone else because I have not experienced the issue since. On occasion I might see the Installation is already in progress and waiting for a client reboot and that goes away when I reboot the client and reinstall the connector software.

If you still have an active WHS v1 server where a client your wishing to now connect to WHS2011 and you perform the registry tweaks on Microsoft Connect they will cause an inability to allow you to reinstall the WHS v1 connector software to resume the client backups where they left off. WHS v1 will think its new client and will install the connector but you will end up with 2 Client Listings for the same client. For those who are no longer running WHS v1 the registry tweaks will not be an issue but for those like me who do run WHS v1 and WHS2011 servers its somewhat annoying. So if you follow their registry tweaks which never resolved my issues make certain you backup your registry which you should always do anyway.

I should also note that this issue is not only Windows 8 related but also Win 7 and Vista and I can not comment if XP comes into play or not since all my XP Clients are left to WHS v1 and not WHS2011.

What I do know is that if the time and date on the server and client do not match it will causes issues and at times the firewall can come into play. But for me it was the network shut down and restart which appears to of corrected my issue.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks