It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:37 pm 

I had one server with a fully functional system drive. I actually gave this to my GF at the time and when I gave it to here I wanted to perform a Recovery to get her off to a good start and the damn server decided it did not like the drive so I went out and got a new drive and the recovery flew but this was a Factory Recovery which is the easier of the two recoveries to do.

I have a low tolerance for hard drive issues and WHS often has a lower tolerance then but thank god hard drives are cheap again. As for the updates those are a major PITA to get through and there are a ton of them to get though. I have not had to do many recoveries on an LX19x or EX49x but there is a trick to knowing when to disconnect the server from the client and connect it back on the network so it can pull the updates. You could reboot the server but with it connected on the network and the thing should pick up where it left off and if the client software is already on the client then it should pickup where it left off. Try that and see how it works out. If it snags up on you then something on the hard drive might be causing the issue which is why I recommended a partition removal and format and to start over. So lets see how you make out.

I actually prefer the older recovery method HP used vs the newer recovery method used by the LX19x, EX49x, x310 and x510 but there is not much one can do about the way its.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:39 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I'm guessing it's the backups database file which MS documentation says is spread across various drives. That would make sense since the error I keep getting is "backup service is not running." Unfortunately the web page does not specify what I"m looking for if I pull all 8 drives.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:36 am 

The backup service will not actually start until the Storage Pool Drives are added back in by the server during the recovery process or if the server is not seeing one or more storage pool drives or if the server senses there is an issue with the Client Backup Database.

If the drive lights are out then the drives have yet to be added back in to the service. Also until all the HP and Microsoft updates are fully installed your server will report issues with the Client Backup Database being corrupted and will recommend you repair them. DO NOT REPAIR THE CLIENT BACKUP DATABASE or you will lose some or all of your Client Backups. This is an updating issue with WHS and those warnings and alerts should go away once the server has been updated.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:12 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I'm getting an error in log viewer about there not being enough free space for the client backup, so backup never starts up. The problem is I can't get the setup complete, and I can't use console to log in to even confirm the drives have been added to the pool. I think I'm going to do a clean install and copy the drives one at a time to a backup drive, add the drive to storage pool which will erase it, then copy the files back from my backup disk to the volume. Then keep doing that with each drive until they are all added back and copied over. Any reason this won't work? What I see are the actual files and they aren't spanned across multiple drives, correct? I'd hate to get half a movie or album.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:18 pm 

That will work just fine. The files are actually stored complete on the drives and if duplication is turned on a second copy will be made on a different drive. So if you lose a drive or have to have the server remove it the server can easily rebuild the storage pool. Should the server malfunction you can pull the drives and read them which is one of the things many people like about WHS.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13