It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:50 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I don't think I've got my old router anymore :(

I tried updating the connector. It allows me to "join the home server" but errors on configuring backup due to the backup service not running. I've also tried enabling that but same error.

EX490 4TB, PCH A-200, Windows 7 Pro Desktop, Windows XP Pro Laptop, Windows XP Pro Netbook,

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:58 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Try this, RDC into the server and go to the PC backup database at d:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} and cut out the file Commit.data to somewhere safe. Then go to Services and restart the Windows Backup Service or reboot the server. Then try opening the Console.

If that doesn't work then copy that file back.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:05 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks for trying to help, guys I really appreicate it.

At this point my data has finally copied across the network so am just going to factory reset it then copy it back..... its got itself in a right pickle and unfortunately I need to get it back up and running as I use it for work. I've managed to recover most of my data thankfully.

Thanks again for all your help diehard and compo.

EX490 4TB, PCH A-200, Windows 7 Pro Desktop, Windows XP Pro Laptop, Windows XP Pro Netbook,

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:40 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

580guy wrote:
I share your pain, however here is something I used. Takes a little time to set up, but greatly simplifies doing a restore. Never failed me once. And I don't have to connect the server directly to the PC. Just leave everything as is connected to my router.

Have attached a pdf with all the info.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this great post! I decided to reinstall WHS v1 on my EX490. I've gotten a lot of requests for an updated version of Home Server SMART "Classic" (the version that runs on WHS v1). Since i have spare drives, I could afford to rebuild my server off those, and then restore Server 2012 simply by swapping the disks.

At some point I apparently obliterated the BIOS recovery mechanism and your instructions were perfect. They worked first try, no issues. WHS v1 is reinstalled and now I can test the updated HSS Classic!

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:12 am 

To anyone needing to perform a HP Media Smart server restore with the HP Restore CD, here is a very consistent process. The key is WindowsXP on the client that you connect to the server.
I use a older Toshiba laptop running Windows XP.
I use a straight thru CAT5 cable between the HP Media Smart and the Toshiba laptop.
I disable all Firewall rules, disable Anti-Virus.
I set the network to use DHCP to receive the network IP address.
I set the HP server into the recovery mode (blinking (red/blue) purple)
Run Recovery from the CD.

The Toshiba will find the server and start the recovery process.
When complete, unplug the direct cable connection and connect the devices back into your router. This will enable the laptop to receive an IP address which it can get to the Internet with.
There are many updates that will need to be applied after the restore. After each reboot, log back on and run Windows Update from the Settings inside of the HP Console.

This has worked 5 out of 5 times. Prior to this fix, I tried a Windows 7 box with everything turned off, copied locally, updated tftpd with the latest version, etc, nothing worked.
Good Luck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:41 am 

Actually I have done successful recoveries with a Win7 Client but prefer to use a 32bit Win XP client because its bullet proof and always works without issue. I happen to still use XP for specific applications that work only with XP Pro so I always have a notebook with XP Pro available to me at all times.

Having said that I also have to say that if you want a recovery to work perfectly you need to know that all your drives are healthy because it only takes 1 drive to muck up a recovery and make for a bad day.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:35 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Question for you guys...after tearing my hair out for the last few days I finally was able to get a successful restore done on my EX495. The boot drive went south, and I was unable to repair the corruption. I have 3 more internal drives, and an eSata box with 5 additional drives in it. I do not have file duplication turned on. What is the proper procedure to follow to get those drives added back again? I put them in and have the option to add drive, but I want to be sure it's not going to format the drive on me. I'm hoping to be able to get back what I had before. I want to add them back to the pool, but the add drive option told me there is 1.8 TB on the first drive, and that's the total capacity of that drive.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:26 am 

Unfortunately you will need to perform another recovery with the drives connected to the server. The type of recovery you will need to do is a Server Recovery which will preserve your data. If you perform a factory recovery with the drives connected they will get formatted.

If you attempt to add the drives to your server the way it is now each drive you add will get formatted which is very bad.

So you need to perform a Server Recovery with all the storage pool Drives connected to the server in order to preserve your data. Then you will need to configure the server again and ignore all server warnings until you have downloaded and install all the HP and Microsoft Updates then the warnings will go away..

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:37 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
Unfortunately you will need to perform another recovery with the drives connected to the server. The type of recovery you will need to do is a Server Recovery which will preserve your data. If you perform a factory recovery with the drives connected they will get formatted.

Did you mean server reset in the 3rd sentence? 2nd and 3rd sentences appear to conflict with each other.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:05 am 

There are 2 types of recoveries.

(1) Factory Recovery which is a bare metal restore which is the type of recovery you just performed. If you do this with your storage pool drives connected to the server they will be formatted. Any drive you add to the server Storage Pool will be formatted.

(2) Server Recovery which will preserve your data but your storage pool drives must be connected to the server so that your client data and storage pool data will be preserved.

That's it in a nut shell only two types of recoveries or to use your term two types of resets. If you perform a site search on recoveries you will find a ton of information posted by myself and others. The earlier versions of the HP MSS the EX47x and EX48x recover over the network while the LX19x, EX49x, X510 and X310 all require the server to be connected directly to the client performing the recovery. So if you perform a site search you will read things about other servers as well but regardless of the HP Server Model, all WHS v1 Servers have 2 types of recoveries. So there is not real conflict here.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
thunderstruck
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:32 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks, I did see a whole lot of hard drive activity light this time when I reinstalled. Keep getting stuck on server setup when I install connector. This thing is so maddening.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:17 am 

Server Recoveries are never a joyful event with WHSv1. While I do have preconfigured System Drives all the MSS Models I still perform a recovery on every MSS Unit that comes here to make sure they work properly. I have one notebook that the only thing I use it for is server Recoveries.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:25 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Is there some undocumented secret to both getting the server to recognize all my pooled drives by having them in during the server restore and getting the setup to complete? Setup hangs during an update process-it gets to 51% immediately then aborts soon thereafter. It went fine the first time when I didn't have my old drives attached that I wanted to re-add to the pool, but after following your instructions above for getting them back by having them attached the setup keeps dying on me.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:40 pm 

Try taking the System Drive out of the server and connect it to another computer and wipe out the partitions and then format the drive as a single partition then perform another recovery attempt. Also review the information in the following link as it may prove helpful http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... _and_EX495

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:02 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks, I've pulled the drive and formatted on my netbook more times that I can count. I use my Aspire One, it plays nicely with the server. It's the setup part after the reboot that keeps killing me. It goes fine up until that last reboot, then it gets stuck when it tries the update with the long yellow progress bar.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next