It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:47 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I have seen 1, 3, 4, and 7 on my new 495 with patch 1.
So I think the answer is - no.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:42 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Likebutter wrote:
Nice post.

I would like to chime in on 1. I tried recovery on my windows 7 machine....forget it. It doesn't work. Between the win7 firewall and windows defender etc etc I couldn't get it to work. I tried it on my wifes laptop (hp) and it wouldn't find the machine either. Finally I used my NETBOOK :shock: to recover it after I did a clean install of XP Home and default drivers no additional software, firewalls installed. (I did turn off the windows Firewall on the netbook).

I don't have any Win XP machines now... which is probably why I am unable to get my restore working. My daughter has an HP netbook w/XP, but I cannot use it right now because it is mission critical for her finals.

All but one of my Windows machines are HP. Do I need to buy an HP netbook at Costco... and then return it when I am done with my restore? I am shocked that HP would come up with an EX495 recovery solution that does not with with their own products. They deserve to have a product return.

I think I will probably have to call HP support when I have time. :( I probably should at a minimum to open a service claim. Maybe I can wait another week or so till my daughter's finals are over and then use her Netbook.

/Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:47 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hello everyone!

Hope everybody is doing well.

I just recently ordered/purchased an EX490 (my first Home Server) after having read about the HP MediaSmart Windows Home Server products on this Forum, as well as having received positive encouragement from some of the fellow members. It is scheduled to be delivered by UPS tomorrow (12/24).

I truly hope all these issues I have just become aware of after having read all your comments can be eventually resolved, and I do not have to regret having purchased the EX490.

If I understood the string of communications correctly, the very first thing I should do after I unpack the EX490, before I do anything else, is remove the system drive from the EX490, connect it to one of the home PCs (one Vista, one Windows 7), and reformat it to a new single NTFS partition, then connect it back to the EX490 and proceed with the initial configuration.

Did I understand correctly?

Please advise. Thank you!

Cordially,

Jose

HP MSS EX490 (Intel E5200/4GB RAM).
Master HDD: HP supplied Seagate 1.0TB Barracuda
Additional HDDs: 2 - Western Digital 1.0TB Caviar Green, 1 - Seagate 1.0TB Barracuda Green (Server Backup Drive)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:04 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

jalbert523 wrote:
Hello everyone!

I just recently ordered/purchased an EX490 (my first Home Server) after having read about the HP MediaSmart Windows Home Server products on this Forum, as well as having received positive encouragement from some of the fellow members. It is scheduled to be delivered by UPS tomorrow (12/24).

I truly hope all these issues I have just become aware of after having read all your comments can be eventually resolved, and I do not have to regret having purchased the EX490.

If I understood the string of communications correctly, the very first thing I should do after I unpack the EX490, before I do anything else, is remove the system drive from the EX490, connect it to one of the home PCs (one Vista, one Windows 7), and reformat it to a new single NTFS partition, then connect it back to the EX490 and proceed with the initial configuration.

Cordially,

Jose

No, your EX490 should work fine out of the box.
Just run the HP update and then the WHS updates and you should be ready to start using the MSS.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Loren for this post
jalbert523
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:53 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

jalbert523 wrote:
Hello everyone!

Cordially,

Jose

Jose,

Given the issues involved with doing a "Factory Reset" or "Server Restore"... what you are proposing is something that I absolutely would NOT do. You may find yourself unable to use your server at all short of having a new drive sent to you by HP.

/Jim

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank JimP for this post
jalbert523
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:42 pm 

jalbert523 ~ Do not format the drive just run it out of the box and you will be fine. Any issues that might exist will still exist even if you format and perform a recovery and performing a recovery on that particular unit has been reported as being somewhat of a challenge. The messages you read regarding the formatting of a drive before using it on an EX49x MSS is for those changing the system drive. Unless your installing a larger System Drive there is no need to preformat the drive. The MSS comes basically ready to run right out of the box. You just have to install the connector software on a computer, the computer connects to the server and the setup process begins with just a few settings then your server is ready to run.

I Pray to God your read these messages before your server arrives because I for one would like to see your next post about how wonderful the server is not about having a problem that could of been avoided.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
jalbert523
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:07 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hello Loren, JimP and Comp1962.

Thank you for having taken the time to reply so promptly with your amswers, I appreciate that.

Well, UPS delivered the EX490 at around noon today, and as I write this note to you, a new one (reshipment) is being processed by BestBuy.com, and the one just received is going back to a Best Buy Merchandise Return facility.

When I started unpacking the machine I noticed that the box had several minor bumps and squaches, which is probably normal for packages handled by freight carriers.

However, the next thing I noticed was that the round/clear/self adhesive sticker used to seal the box was sliced open. After that, I noticed that the sticker used to seal the plastic bag protecting the machine inside the box looked like it had been tampered with as well, and then, the last straw was when I read on the Setup Poster "IMPORTANT Open the HP MediaSmart Server door and remove the foam packaging before connecting the server to your network and turning it on"; as you have probably guessed, there was no foam packaging inside the Server's door.

I do not know whether this was a returned unit that fell through the cracks, and was placed back into regular inventory, but all the things I have just described did not feel right to me, and the Customer Service representative to whom I spoke agreed with me.

Oh well, as my daughter says, "these things happen..." :(

I will have to wait a few more days to officially say that I have a MediaSmart Server. They say patience is a virtue... :D

Thank you guys!

Best regards,

Jose

Additional HDDs: 2 - Western Digital 1.0TB Caviar Green, 1 - Seagate 1.0TB Barracuda Green (Server Backup Drive)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:32 pm 

jalbert523,

Oh man I am so sorry to hear about the condition you received the EX490 in. Thats upsetting that Best Buy would send out a unit like that unless it was sold as an open boxed unit. Hopefully your next unit will come in factory sealed then you will certainly experience the joy of having an MSS running in your house. When you get it and have it running write back and tell us what your impressions are.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:25 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hello Comp1962,
I certainly will.
Merry Christmas everyone!
Best regards,
Jose

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:48 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Well, being a fresh 'newby'with the ex490 I did what most techy's probably don't do :D
I started with a system restore after messing arround with the out of the box set & updates and stuff. If I am to put my valuable data on a box like that I need to know how to repair it first. Having been a HP reseller offcourse I have all the trust you can imaging in such a product.

BUT:
Why does this server not come with an red leaflet stuck on the chasis pointing to this topic ?
And WHY ](*,) does the Hp MSS server restore tool not have one additional bullit stating the requirement for DHCP on the PC's nic or to set it to the 169.37.37.x range before starting.

This would have saved me an hour or 2 to 4.
There was a little txt file from HP stating they modified the tftp program to wait that the pc got an ip address from the tftp-dhcp deamon before the HP-MSS server got one that made the gears rotate...

Working config used:
Laptop with win XP Sp-3
All fw & antivirus disabled
Killed every process in the process manager that would do sothing with the network
Stopped all services (but the firewall service needs to run for the hp recovery software)
Disabled all network cards except the single LAN NIC
Assigned the static ip that would fall withing the subnet of the addresses served by the TFTP-DHCP deamen e.g. 169.37.37.33
The provided cable out of the box to conenct the EX490 directly to the nic of the laptop

Addition:
To resolve the issue of the missing image on the MSHome web page. (critial issue offcourse :D)
Save this attached 'server.gif' image to \\homeserver\public
Log onto the Remote desktop;
Copy the server.gif file to "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmart Server\webapps\HPHome\images"

Attachments:
File comment: HP server image
server.gif
server.gif [ 1.56 KiB | Viewed 61929 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:40 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have a EX495 which is about two months old. You can put me down as another user who has seen problems 3, 5 and 6. The console error for the system status page appeared soon after I initially set up the system and occurred randomly for a couple of weeks but seem to have disappeared.

The sleep problem is still happening. The server will sleep once and then not sleep again until it is rebooted. HP Tech Support told me that if anything is going on in the server it will not sleep. ](*,) This makes no sense to me since the server does storage balancing and other things which the user has no control over.

The video converter problem I have is slightly different than what is stated. I can activate the converter, i.e. check and uncheck the box but it just stops converting videos. The list shows that there are videos to convert but they are never converted.

I would like to add one other problem which I have observed. The media collector stops working. I have added videos to an enabled client but they are not collected by the server. On the media collector page in the console it shows that client as "disconnected" although it is on, is connected to the server both physically and logically. A reboot of the server or a reset of the database will usually get things moving again.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:06 am 

There is an issue related to the Media Collector and Custom paths, perhaps it should be on the list:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5813

-HS

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:10 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hello everyone.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, or the customary celebration according to your personal beliefs/faith, accompanied by your families and loved ones.

I received the replacement EX490 four days ago; this one seems to be "new". I haven't been able to to set it up and configure it yet, I plan to do so soon. I also purchased 2 additional 1TB HDDs for the EX490.

I must confess to you friends that I am self-doubting the decision to purchase the EX490. During my Christmas vacation, and while waiting for the replacement EX490's arrival, I spent some time reading different postings on the forums, mostly under the sections addressing the WHS OS, such as "HP Media Collector custom list not working", etc. It seems that everyday new complaints surface about owners not being able to accomplish ordinary tasks, configure the server properly, etc., etc.

Are major bugs/issues associated with the newer EX49x series popping up as more people buy them and use them, that HP was not aware of, and does not have fixes for?

Have I made a costly mistake by choosing the HP MSS over other manufacturers' Home Server offerings?

Please, share your honest thoughts...

Thank you.

Best regards,

José

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:25 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

No, José, I do not believe you made a mistake.

Yes, there a few problems that folks are seeing, mostly with Media Collection. But not everyone is seeing them. And I have every confidence they WILL be resolved.

How to avoid them? Go slow. Avoid McAfee. Do not try to load up all your data day one. Set it up with ONE PC to start, do a manual backup and then let it sit overnight. Disable Twonky and Media Collection at first. Hold off on duplication for a bit and, when you do enable it, let it run with nothing else going on initially -- like overnight!) You get the idea I think.

I believe a lot of folks get in trouble by jumping in too quickly.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank JohnBick for this post
jalbert523
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:30 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thank you John Bick for the encouragement and advice; I appreciate it.

I shall move forward slowly... :cheers:

Best regards,

José

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next