It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:39 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I need to do a bare metal restore of a Win 7 laptop. I made the restore CD and received a message "the wizard cannot find your home server". I let it try automatically, and manually.
Does this work in the PP3 beta?
And where are we supposed to get the restore CD from? I didn't see on in the PP3 install... so I downloaded the latest from MS. I think this may be the problem - shouldn't there be a restore CD specific to PP3?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:50 pm 

No restore cd specific to PP3 that I'm aware of. You need to use the PC restore CD that came with the MSS or go to the Software Share and you'll find Home Pc Restore and burn the ISO of that to a disk and use that.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:27 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I tried this on a second laptop and got the same exact error.
"if you have an advanced network configuration, type the name of your home server to help find it".

By default, the name was server. However my HP home server is by default "hpserver" so I typed that.

That put up a message "A network error has occurred. Please verify that your network connection is active and that your Windows Home Server is powered on"

So trying to use this disk in Windows 7 doesn't work... it can't find the network. Which is an entirely standard Ethernet hard-wired (not wireless) network. It finds it routinely for backup up and for browsing the files on it.

That's why I think there ought to be a new PC Restore disk for PP3. It can't find the server in this network.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:23 am 

Try a direct connection btw MSS and client PC that you are restoring. No router or switch in between.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:47 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hmmm it sounds to me like your network card in the laptop does not have the correct drivers for it. When you use the restore CD you are not booting into any OS that maybe on the Laptop, but a very limited OS of the CD.

Another option is to connect your laptop drive directly to the MSS, and do a direct restore to it from the remote desktop connection. This is not without some risk, as it is possible to restore to one of the MSS drives, not a good thing...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:29 pm 

Assuming the direct connection method doesn't work, any chance this is a 64 bit PC you are restoring? If so, you may need to load 32 bit NIC drivers on a CD or USB key and point it to those at the right time. There have been some issues needing ghosedrivers for the restore.

Thanks  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]